David,

Can you provide a list of all the details.XXXXX params?

I think I've missed, at least, the rebate and freeshipping ones. Is there a low prices one and buy used & new also?

Also, I'd suggest that the < !--XXXX--> be coded as {XXXX}, it makes it soooo much easier to see where the endifs are missing, the script identifies the using {endif} but has not identified which one(s) as directed, so the {XXXX} would show the missing {endif} clearer than as is currently set up, IMHO.

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Can you provide a list of all the details.XXXXX params?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>The easiest way to see what {details.XXXXX} variables are available from a particular request is to look at the raw XML provided by Amazon.com's Web Services for that request. You do this by adding the "data" parameter to the URL. Example:

http://www.bime.com/cgi-bin/amazon.p...&mode=vhs&data

Internet Explorer will format and display the XML data (this may not work in Netscape). If you click on a "-" it will collapse that item. Click on the "+" to expand it again.

You can also see Amazon.com's XML schema that describes the entire structure of all their XML datafeed by looking at:

http://xml.amazon.com/schemas2/dev-heavy.xsd

The amazon.pl XML script generates some of its own pseudo {details.XXXXX} variables such as {details.url.ca} which is the URL of the product with the same ASIN at the amazon.ca website. Most are currently undocumeneted (you can see them used in amazon-format/library.fmt). See Revisions History for some.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Also, I'd suggest that the < !--XXXX--> be coded as {XXXX}, it makes it soooo much easier to see where the endifs are missing, the script identifies the using {endif} but has not identified which one(s) as directed, so the {XXXX} would show the missing {endif} clearer than as is currently set up, IMHO.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>We hope to improve the substitution engine (improve error reporting and add other "neat" features) in the future -- probably after I read a book about how compilers work

We support < !--if ...--> for those situations where only an HTML comment would be allowed, such as between rows of a table. Some people (myself included) edit formatting files (such as amazon-format/details6.html) using an HTML editor that enforces valid HTML. You can also use {if ...} in your own formatting files if you find them easier to use/debug.

See also: Introduction to 'IF' statements

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation
    per: David Cusimano

[This message was edited by cusimano on February 12, 2003 at 12:44 PM.]

David,

That was really helpful, my pages are now looking very professional!

One tip for other readers is when using one of your custom searchboxes if you insert the following after the
    < input text name keyword > field you can also format the search results
    < INPUT TYPE="HIDDEN" NAME="format" VALUE="list7" >

Gary

'I am not young enough to know everything.'
    - Oscar Wilde

A I missing something or is the "special offers" and "editoral reviews" missing from Amazon.com's XML schema ?

Thank you for posting the schema David!

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

Amazon.com does not provide that information in its XML datafeed. The editorial reviews involve copyright. Only the customer reviews are provided in the XML.

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation
    per: David Cusimano

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread