David,

I had a couple of questions about the store templates, which I like a lot:

1. I wasn't sure how to launch the store in index.html so I just inserted this line which seems to work okay:

< !--#include virtual="/cgi-bin/amazon.pl?template=stores" -->

Please let me know if that isn't correct or if there is some better way.

2. What has been your experience with getting these store links spidered? Any suggestions for improving the spidering?

3. As you know I've built dozens of custom sites with Amazon.pl and I thought it would be great to add this store to my sites (I'd use a link like "More great items from Amazon.com..." which would take the person to the store (but the store templates would have to be in the same site).

The obvious conflict is that I already have existing templates and amazon.html files, and only one set of templates can be defined in the configuration file. Is there any way that I could run this store exactly as it is on an existing site? It seems like I would have to override the template settings somehow.

Many thanks! Hope you are feeling better.

Bryan

Bryan,

1. You can use that SSI include statement to show the "stores" index page. That will work fine. To save your webserver some processing, you could view that page in your web browser and save it as your index.html file. That way, when a user views index.html it will not involve an SSI include and it will not involve running amazon.pl. It will just be HTML. The "Top Selling Books" in the left column is a &lt; script> tag so it will remain dynamic.

2. I've seen my links spidered (top levels and subsequent levels).

3. Currently you can't switch to a different set of templates. Some time in the future we plan on reintroducing the site= parameter which would let you have sets of amazon files (formats, templates, .ini) that are selected based on the site= parameter. You could create a set called "store" and then access it via site=store ---- amazon.pl would automatically carry forward the site= parameter into all recursive calls to amazon.pl -- site= is "sticky". Note: Using template= will not work because template= is not carried forward in recursive calls to amazon.pl -- template= is not sticky.

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation
    per: David Cusimano

Thanks, David. I wish I had looked at these store templates sooner -- they are really great! I studied them this week and came up with some good uses for them.

One last question:

I tried adding some footer/header files to the templates as "include" pages but couldn't get it to work. Is that because the templates aren't processed like normal HTML or did I just not use the right syntax?

Thanks again!

Bryan

As far as I understand, it is not possible for a web server to process SSI (server side include) statements that are output by a cgi-bin script. If someone knows of an Apache configuration setting to allow SSI inside cgi-bin output, let me know (note: this is the opposite of using SSI to call a script).

amazon.pl XML does support its own "include" statement. In the directory where you have amazon.pl (probably cgi-bin), create a directory called amazon-include and put your include files there. The filename ending has to be .html or .htm (.txt will be supported in the next release). Then in your results template say something like:

&lt;!--include header--&gt;

This will cause the file amazon-include/header.html (or .htm) to be included. Do not include the filename extension or the directory name. Note that there is no # before the word "include" since this is not an SSI statement but rather an amazon.pl statement. The general format to include amazon-include/FILENAME.html (or .htm) is:

&lt;!--include FILENAME--&gt;

You can also use the curly bracket version of this statement:

{include FILENAME}

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation
    per: David Cusimano

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread