I've had amazon.pl running for a couple of weeks now, mostly with script calls. When I look at my Amazon tracking stats by linking method for the last week, I see:
    Amazon.com Web Services (XML) 51 unique visitors with 2 purchases, and
    Other (Redirect) with 737 unique visitors with28 total purchases.
    Question: does Amazon tracking "see" clicks off the amazon.pl script calls as "Other/Redirect" at some point?

The results seem skewed.

Thanks,
    Tom Brown
    P.S. I have the amazon.pl script running at www.all-internet.com if that would help to see.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tbrown:
    I've had amazon.pl running for a couple of weeks now, mostly with script calls. When I look at my Amazon tracking stats by linking method for the last week, I see:
    Amazon.com Web Services (XML) 51 unique visitors with 2 purchases, and
    Other (Redirect) with 737 unique visitors with28 total purchases.
    Question: does Amazon tracking "see" clicks off the amazon.pl script calls as "Other/Redirect" at some point?

The results seem skewed.

Thanks,
    Tom Brown
    P.S. I have the amazon.pl script running at http://www.all-internet.com if that would help to see.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ALSO...I should clarify the above tracking results appear after I click on "more tracking reports." It's equally confusing that the INITIAL "View Reports Snapshot" page shows NO stats for Web Services (XML). Shouldn't the clickthroughs from amazon.pl script be showing up there?

Thanks again,
    Tom

Currently, statistics related to Amazon.com Web Services (AWS) appear only in the "Traffic by Linking Method Report". Amazon.com has indicated that they will be working on improving the reports to include more details related to Amazon.com Web Services (AWS).

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation
    per: David Cusimano

Thanks for the response, David. I also wanted to know:

Am I correct in assuming that"Other/Redirect" link tracking is NOT related in any way to the amazon.pl XML link tracking?

Thanks again,
    Tom

Amazon.com's "Glossary of Reporting terms" states:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Other - Any link that redirects customers to specific pages on Amazon.com, such as "Favorite Destinations" and "Link to Any Page" links. Redirect links should be formatted in this manner:
    "http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redirect/102-0567517-2038527?tag=storeid&path=tg/browse/-/549066/hot/1" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>The amazon.pl XML script does redirect to such URL's under some circumstances. Thus it is possible for the "Other (Redirect)" line of the linking report to show non-zero numbers.

In your post above, you said, "Amazon.com Web Services (XML) 51 unique visitors with 2 purchases, and Other (Redirect) with 737 unique visitors with 28 total purchases." I would have expected those two lines to be reversed. I'm not sure why your stats are like that. Again, Amazon.com has to improve their reports regarding XML.

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation

Well, color me Dumb, David. I only just realized I hadn't inserted my Amazon id into the .ini file.

Maybe the XML results will improve now. Sorry for the false alarm.

Tom

The amazon.key file contains the amazon.com associate ID.

The amazonid configuration variable in the amazon.ini file is a left-over from before the use of amazon.key files. The amazon.key file goes in the same directory where amazon.pl is located. Alternatively, you can copy the contents of amazon.key into your amazon.ini file and remove the amazon.key file (the amazon.key file is really just a secondary configuration file loaded after the amazon.ini configuration file.

To confirm that the amazon.com associate ID is being used, just move your mouse over a product link to see if it contains your associate ID. Note: If you are using asinsearch.format to show product details locally, look at the link on a product's details page. (I checked your all-internet.com website and I see that it is using your amazon.com associate ID).

Again, regarding the stats, amazon.com has to improve its reporting of XML related stats -- amazon.com has said that it is working on that.

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation

I hope Amazon doesn't stop with just the XML reports. They need to provide more current results, as well as better information on orders that aren't shipped.

As it stands now, there's no way to know if the item was out of stock, delayed in shipping which resulted in the order being cancelled, bad credit card, etc. Amazon really should be able to provide more timely and better reports to its affiliates.

Andy

AFFILIATE MARKETING STANDARD: The site upon which the initial action to buy occurs is the site the commission is paid to. Period.

This is rather worrisome, Andy and David. Do you think the problem with XML tracking is just with the _reporting_ aspect, or is it possible sales are not being credited to us?

Tom

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread