Hi, your script looks great.

Can it integrate with MySQL? I'd like a table of ASINs that I pull from and place on the site. There's a PHP Nuke mod out there that does exactly what I want but I hate Nuke. Example is located at http://www.staticbeats.com (scroll down a bit, and it's on the left, a block called Recommended Music).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Can it integrate with MySQL? I'd like a table of ASINs that I pull from and place on the site.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We'll have to wait for David to say if it can work with MySQL... but you can definately pull from a list of ASINs.

You place the ASINs in a text file, one ASIN per line (up to 29 of them - an AWS limitation). Put the file into the /cgi-bin/amazon-asin directory. Works great.

Two pages where you can see this... the first pulling from a single file, the second pulling from a series of files:

http://www.netip.com/books/recommended.htm
    and
    http://www.netip.com/books/hacker_books.htm

The "1-3 of 0" display is a problem with AWS that David is working to fix... but what you have on your page would not show that anyway.

Hope that helps.

I'm not an expert on MySQL or PHP, but if you write some PHP to "glue" MySQL and amazon.pl together, then the answer is yes. Your PHP would pass a list of ASIN's to amazon.pl via a virtual call such as:
    virtual("/cgi-bin/amazon.pl?asinsearch=$ASINLIST");
    assuming the ASIN's are in the PHP variable $ASINLIST

Or, as mentioned in the above reply, put the list of ASIN's into a text file such as amazon-asin/mylist.txt and then refer to the list such as in:
    /cgi-bin/amazon.pl?asinsearch=mylist
    This will display one random product. To show it in a column format, use:
    /cgi-bin/amazon.pl?asinsearch=mylist&format=column

Try out the free demo version of amazon.pl

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation
    per: David Cusimano

could you do something like that with an author or artist?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by foofighter:
    could you do something like that with an author or artist?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, yes and no. To my knowledge, you can't create a file of author or artist names and pull in results from that.

But you could do a search on Amazon for an author or artist, and then copy-and-paste the ASINs from that search into a text file. End result would be the same, if I understand what you are asking.

Of course, you can also use amazon.pl to search on author or artist names... but I think from your other posts that you already knew that.

Does that answer your question?

Only ASIN search (asinsearch=...) supports the randomness feature, that is, showing one or more random products. So to show a random product, you first have to define the set of products (a list of ASIN's) that amazon.pl is to select from.

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation
    per: David Cusimano

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread