I'm trying to get amazon.pl to work when run as an SSI. I have no trouble with doing it via a script, but would like googlebot and such to spider my pages.

I build my site with Frontpage 2002 and can get most stuff to work... but not SSI. Oh... and my hosting provider does support SSI.

If you look at http://www.netip.com/books/forensics.htm that is being created with the script entry:

&lt;script TYPE="text/JavaScript" SRC="http://www.netip.com/cgi-bin/amazon.pl?script&type=search&mode=books&keyword=Computer Forensics&+salesrank"></SCRIPT>

On http://www.netip.com/test2.shtm I have the following:

< !--#include virtual="/cgi-bin/amazon.pl?ssi&type=search&mode=books&keyword=Computer Forensics&+salesrank"-->

My understanding is that those two entries should generate the exact same results... but as you can see, they don't. The results on test2.shtm are totally blank.

Has anyone had any luck and/or problems with SSI under Frontpage 2002?

Many Thanx for any help...

The SSI statement in your test2.shtm file is not being processed by your server. Go to http://www.netip.com/test2.shtm in your web browser and select "View > Source" in your web browser and you will see:

< !--#include virtual="/cgi-bin/amazon.pl?ssi&type=search&mode=books&keyword=Computer Forensics&+salesrank"-->

That should not be visible in the HTML source (as viewed in the web browser) if the server had processed this SSI statement.

Try renaming the file to test2.shtml rather than test2.shtm --- the filename ending is important. Servers are typically configured to only process SSI statements if the filename ends with .shtml

BTW, your SSI statement should be:

< !--#include virtual="/cgi-bin/amazon.pl?ssi&type=search&mode=books&keyword=Computer+Forensics&sort=+salesrank"-->

Note the + between words in the keywords parameter, and the sort= before the +salesrank sort type.

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation
    per: David Cusimano

Thanx Sir... I've fixed the code and changed the filename, but it still does not work. In fact, it now shows up right on the page, even without doing a view source.

I've sent a trouble ticket to my hosting provider to have them check things out on their end. I'll let you know if I get anything worthwhile back.

Bet you a Cheeseburger they say it is a problem with your script and not their issue...

Remove the space between < and !--#include

The ABW discussion board software added that space into my message.

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation

All,

For security reasons we don't allow any and all SSI tag(s) to be posted in any manner ... we add spaces to invalidate any such tag.

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

Thanx guys... that was the problem. No space and .shtml...

Wonder if I can still cancel the help ticket to the hosting provider now that they have escalated it to level 3?

I can run both script and ssi. I was wondering if anyone with some knowhow on the subject could tell me the the pros and cons of using one or the other.

You can use SSI and &lt;script&gt; to show results anywhere on any of your HTML pages. And you can put more than one on the same HTML page. For example, http://www.collectiblecats.com/ contains five SSI tags (FYI: to save processing, I have an hourly cron job that "runs" /index.shtml and saves the static HTML output to /index.html which is seen at the / URL).

Some servers are not configured to run SSI, or will only run SSI statements if the file they are in ends with .shtml. SSI in .html files is ignored unless the server is configured to look for SSI statements in .html files. So if you can't run SSI, then use &lt;script&gt; tags instead.

The disadvantage of &lt;script&gt; tags is that they use JavaScript. This is not a problem for web browsers; however, search engine spiders cannot run JavaScript. Thus results shown using &lt;script&gt; tags are not seen by search engine spiders. In contrast, results shown using SSI are seen by search engine spiders since the server replaces SSI statements with HTML and then sends that HTML out of the server to the user/spider.

So, if you want to show results anywhere on any of your HTML pages then SSI is better since it generates spiderable results. But if you can't use SSI, then use &lt;script&gt;.

Results from a link such as http://www.bime.com/cgi-bin/amazon.p...=best&mode=dvd are spiderable since that output is HTML. If you want to show one set of results on a page, then consider making a Results Template file -- it would contain everything you want to show on the page, and then type {results} where you want the results to show up on the page.

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread