I don't know whether it's Earthlink or me, but I just can't get the trial script to run. I went through every step you so carefully detailed. I have a decent knowledge of HTML and javascript. I even passed the eighth grade.

But not even the folks at Earthlink (my Web host) could figure where I was going wrong. So, I started completely from scratch. And still no luck.

This script is exactly what we've been looking for and I would buy it in a heartbeat if I could just get the trial working.

Please help.

Lawrence

If you used the .tar.gz file then download http://www.cusimano.com/scripts/amaz...021228d.tar.gz which fixes an error in the amazon-021228c.tar.gz file. After you unpack the .tar.gz, use:
    chown -R OWNER:GROUP amazon-021228d
    to change the owner:group (substitute OWNER:GROUP with your own owner:group value).

If you are seeing "500 Internal Error" from your web server then see FAQ > Installation.

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation
    per: David Cusimano

David,

1. I don't recall seeing the ".tar.gz" file on the version I downloaded yesterday. What directory should I place this updated file in? And (forgive my ignorance) I'm a little lost on your syntax. I'm not sure what/how the parameter to change. Are you referring to the CHMOD?

2. I did get the 500 internal error. I suspect it might be as a result of the Perl program being located (according to Earthlink tech support) one directory level above my root directory. Also according to Earthlink, there is already a cgi-bin folder in that higher level directory (which I can not directly access) and they warned me against having a like named folder in my root directory. Maybe I should find a better host???

3. I noticed from the graphical file tree on your install instructions that I am missing the "amazon.key" file.

Is there any chance we could get more direct assistance installing, perhaps if we fast-foworward to getting the full product and bypass the trial version? I would rather spend our time maximizing the creative potential your product offers than on which button Earthlink forgot to tell me about.

Many Thanks!

Lawrence

1. You can download either the .zip distribution file or the .tar.gz distribution file. They contain the same contents -- they are just compressed using different file formats. If you're using the .zip file, ignore this point. If you unpacked the .tar.gz file then you may have to set the linux/unix owner:group of all the files using the shell command "chown" (change owner).

2. Put the files where you normally put perl programs on your server. Most servers are configured to have a "cgi-bin" directory -- you shouldn't have to create one. Some servers are configured differently (e.g.: the directory may be called "cgi", and it may be in a part of the file-tree different from where your .html files are). Ask your hosting company where to upload perl programs. And put amazon.pl's supporting files/subdirectories in the same directory with amazon.pl

3. The amazon.key file is provided after you purchase amazon.pl XML. The amazon.key file enables amazon.pl XML to operate in full-mode rather than demo-mode.

4. Send your email address to me via the Contact Us page.

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation

Lawrence,

As indicated in my email to you, (1) your web server at Earthlink does not have perl's LWP modules installed, and (2) there was a very minor bug in amazon.pl XML v2.12.28 that shows up only on your server as "500 Error" (this bug will be fixed in the next release).

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread