May apologies if this question has been asked previously.

I have recently been working on integrating a bunch of allposter.html's with amazon product information through the amazon.pl.

Q1 . Can someone clarify something for me. Does Google spider the results from standard include templete links?

So does the < !--amazonReviews:dvd--> and < !--amazon:dvd--> generate a link that is followed by Google?

If not, I realise html can be followed, but how do I replace one with the other, to reduce workload.

Q2 . And one other question if someone could advise. I had to download all the allposter files to my hard drive and pload them (one batch took 18hrs), doesanyone know of a resonably priced host that allows telnet that they have used.

Can you beleive it I've got another question...

Q3. Has anyone worked out how can you create html file in allposters with addtional words. So for example, how would I generate the 13283-superman.html file as either 13283-superman-posters.html or even better just superman-posters.html.

I appreciate that I could just go in to the html pages themselves and change them all, and every link, but that would be a huge task. And of course this renaming would be useful on the index.html, in each category. I would live to call the index.html in the Music Folder a name like music-posters-index.html.

I hope one of you can steer me right on these points.

Kind regards

RichDan

A1. "Will &lt;!--amazon:dvd--&gt; be followed by Google.com?"

First, an explaination of &lt;!--amazon:dvd--&gt;. In an allposters.pl template (or include file), the &lt;!--amazon:dvd--&gt; directive is converted by allposters.pl to either a &lt;script&gt; tag or a server-side-include (SSI) statement that calls amazon.pl XML to show DVD's; the keyword of the search is based on the poster category name of the poster page being created. To have allposters.pl use SSI statements in the created poster pages, edit allposters.ini and set the amazonSSI variable to yes. If amazonSSI is no, then &lt;script&gt; tags will be be used. Note: In allposters.ini, the amazonpl configuration variable must be set to the URL of amazon.pl otherwise amazon.pl integration will not occurr, that is, &lt;script&gt; tags and SSI statements will not be used.

Search engines do not see or follow &lt;script&gt; tags since search engines do not run JavaScript (which is what &lt;script&gt; tags use). For Google.com to see the products integrated from amazon.pl XML, SSI statements must be used. Therefore, edit allposters.ini and set the amazonSSI variable to yes

Note: Depending upon the configuration of your webserver, files containing SSI statements might need to be named with .shtml rather than .html such as index.shtml Some servers are configured to recognize SSI in .html files as well as .shtml files. If you're not sure about your webserver's configuration, either experiment with different filename endings or ask your hosting company.

A2. "hosting that offers telnet?"

TH Media at http://www.thmedia.net may be able to help you.

A3. "additional word at end of poster filenames?"

The current allposters.pl script does not support this.

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation
    per: David Cusimano

Thanks for the comprehensive reply. I will give SSI a try at the host I am currently using.

The service the cusimano team has been great, and the pruduct is really fun to work with.

Just one more question.
    I have developed a simple site with a home page with html links (with search variables) which are directed to amazon.pl

i.e. http://www.my.domain/cgi-bin/amazon....gital%2Bcamera.

This then creates a new page using a home made template. They are created on the fly so that any new info at amazon can be incorporated. The question is does Google index these pages? I assume that the answer is yes as the whole page is developed as part of the amazon.pl routine rather than called through a script and inserted in a page that already exists.

Thanks again.

RichDan

Yes, Google does appear to index amazon.pl links. We've seen googlebot in our web server logs and we've seen amazon.pl links (/cgi-bin/amazon.pl?...) show up in Google.com search results.

Note: &lt;script> tags (all kinds, not just amazon.pl) will not be indexed by search engines since search engines cannot run &lt;script> tags. SSI statements (all kinds, notj ust amazon.pl) can be indexed since the web server processes SSI statements and sends out HTML and that is what the search engine receives.

BTW, if you want to make the entire Digital Cameras section of amazon.com available through your website, use a link like the following link (note: 281052 is amazon.com's browse node for the "Digital Cameras" category):

http://www.bime.com/cgi-bin/amazon.p...se&mode=281052

If you want to show a subsection of Digital Cameras, then replace the mode= number. Go to the above page then click on the page you want. Look at the URL and see what the mode= number is. Use that number. For example, "4 to 4.9 Megapixels" is browse node 1067694 so use a link like the following link:

http://www.bime.com/cgi-bin/amazon.p...e&mode=1067694

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation
    per: David Cusimano

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread