All of a sudden my book feeds are showing audio CD results. I've checked three of my sites so far and all have at least a couple of pages with this problem. These are sites that have worked fine for months.

UPDATE: The problem is at Amazon's end. It looks like anyone using any kind of script to get Amazon products is getting audio CD results instead of book results on certain searches.

[This message was edited by beggers on June 26, 2003 at 01:21 PM.]

This problem is definitely at amazon.com's end. See this post and other recent posts on amazon.com's forum.

In general, if your sites have been working fine for months and then suddenly something unusual happens, the problem is probably at Amazon.com's end. Amazon.com's servers (AWS) provide the results. The amazon.pl script (and any other similar script) merely sends requests to AWS and then formats and displays the response. If AWS sends back garbage, then the amazon.pl script will display that garbage; Garbage-in-garbage-out. Whenever a problem happens, you just have to wait until Amazon.com fixes it at their end.

For the large majority of the time, AWS works fine.

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation
    per: David Cusimano

It looks like Amazon may have this fixed, but our cache files now have wrong data so they have to be deleted. At least that's what it took to get my results back to normal.

To flush the data cache, go into the amazon-cache directory and delete all the *.tmp files. You can do this deletion via FTP or telnet/SSH.

You do not have to delete the files in the amazon-imgcache (image cache) directory -- those files are valid.

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation
    per: David Cusimano

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread