With all the amazing new and improved templates and options, it's increasingly possible to keep visitors on our site practically up 'til they type in their credit cards.

I'm skeptical, however, about this being a good thing.

I know that this would be very hard to test or measure, but... at what point are there diminishing or even negative returns by keeping visitors on our sites (rather than amazon.com's site) longer?

Here are factors which I think may come into play:

- The fact that amazon.com seems faster to display screens than the combo of ae and our lower-class servers (speaking for my own, at least)

- Amazon's XML is undoubtedly down or 'fussy' more often than their actual Web site pages.

- People may get freaked out about clicking "buy now" from a faux-amazon site.

- Our homegrown pages lack the occasional random offerings and promotions that amazon.com sprinkles on its pages... which, were our visitor on amazon's site, might entice them to buy more (via cross-selling)

-----

Don't get me wrong. I still think ae is wonderful, and certainly a very fine program and smart investment in time and money. I'm excited about inserting grids into my pages, and perhaps creating a few "specialty pages" as well.

But I remain unconvinced (and welcome convincing!) that I should bother with larger templates and, well, making a zillion faux-amazon pages on my site. I question the value of this, both in terms of value for me (revenue generation) and value for my visitors (how does browsing on my site vs. amazon.com benefit THEM)?

I am open minded about this issue, and sincerely look forward to learning more of why I might want to expand my thinking about ae and deep-page benefits.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Very good valid point Adam. Amazon.com is a mass advertiser and recognized direct type in URL. Careful blending of pre-sell product spin with an Amazon or any other merchant buy now/more info link is all that is necessary. The rest of th glut of datafeeds is the so called Holy Grail of spamming the SE's with goobs of product links for the SEO tricks for clicks crowd.

Making up a mirror ecatalog of the merchant's site is counter productive ...just promote -recommend and pass on the shopper. The darn merchant is supposed to assume 100% of the responsibility to close the sale.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

Good question. Associate Engine (ae.pl) supports displaying local product details because some webmasters want that (done by setting asinsearch.format configuration variable). Some webmasters would rather have the user go to amazon.com to see details; ae.pl supports that too (done by clearing asinsearch.format).

One advantage of local product details is that you can include your own reviews if you want. You can do that by using the {includeAsin} substitution variable in your page template or in your format template.

And if you have a very narrow focused website, then showing local product details probably helps.

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation
    per: David Cusimano

4. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread