Hello,

I wonder if it's possible to change posters html links so they look like this:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">&lt;a href = "java_script:void" onclick = "window.open['http://www.allposters.com/poster'); return false;"&gt;</pre>

instead of how it's now <pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">&lt;a href = http://www.allposters.com/poster&gt;</pre>

Hope anyone can help<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> </pre>

To have poster links open a new browser window, edit allposters.ini and set newWindow to 1

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation
    per: David Cusimano

I have figured it out but that's not what I asked.

I need my links to be like I provided above, in javascript because of Google and PR.

Is it possible in any way?

emu5007

I'm reading between the lines, but you seem to believe that linking to other sites (like Allposters) "gives away" some of a pages PR?

My understanding (based on the SE forums here and elsewhere) is that isn't the case. Additionally, the poster titles often provide very relevant keywords which would be lost if they were contained in javascript?

Having said all that, I see there is now a section in the ini file about a redirect script but I haven't seen any documentation. That may be a way to keep your links on-site and keep the keywords.

Are you Crazy?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CrazyGuy™:
    emu5007

I'm reading between the lines, but you seem to believe that linking to other sites (like Allposters) "gives away" some of a pages PR?

My understanding (based on the SE forums here and elsewhere) is that isn't the case. Additionally, the poster titles often provide very relevant keywords which would be lost if they were contained in javascript?

Having said all that, I see there is now a section in the ini file about a redirect script but I haven't seen any documentation. That may be a way to keep your links on-site and keep the keywords.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The less outgoing links you have the better PR you'll have on Google. That's a proven fact.

If you have a page on your site that links to 1 page on your site, and 1 page off your site, then the page on your site that it is linking to will only have half the PR it could have had. If you gotta share PR between internal links and external links then internal links will get less than if you had no external links.

That's why I need to change the html links like above.

emu5007

I don't want to get in too heated a debate about google algos because I don't think they're winnable by anyone.

But your thoughts are based on an assumption/belief that Google treats internal page links in the same way as external links with regard to PR. This seems very unlikely as internal links are too easily manipulated by the webmaster and therefore (I suggest) unlikely to be treated the same as the inbound/outbound links.

Are you Crazy?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CrazyGuy™:
    emu5007

I don't want to get in too heated a debate about google algos because I don't think they're winnable by anyone.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, as I have more than 30 sites in top 5 on Google I think that I know what I'm doing. You're free to do whatever you want with the info I provided.

My question was how can I change the links to javascript like I mentioned above. Can anyone help with that?

The allposters.pl script generates "standard" links. It is currently not possible to generate javascript-based links. We may add this feature to allposters.pl in the future.

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation
    per: David Cusimano

Thanks for your reply David. I hope you take my suggestion into consideration when releasing the new version of allposters script which is really great and I really appreciate that you are sharing your scripts with us.

David - this might be a good time to ask about the "redir" options that have started to appear in some of your scripts.

Am I being dense - or are these as yet "undocumented" features ?

Or unimplemented ?

On the face of it, they may provide a kinda solution in that (if I understand your thinking) links would go to a URL on the same domain (therefore internal) before being redirected to the merchant?

emu5007 - I've got 30 sites in Google Top 5 too, but I'd hesitate to say what it was that got them there, or if it will keep them there next month. I wasn't digging at you - all I meant was that (regardless of Google success or lack of it) it is extremely difficult to pin down specific individual or combination techniques that are directly responsible for SE position.

Are you Crazy?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>On the face of it, they may provide a kinda solution in that (if I understand your thinking) links would go to a URL on the same domain (therefore internal) before being redirected to the merchant?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This won't really help as google can is able to spider dynamic links, meaning redirect.pl?id=1 and redirect.pl?id=2 are different things for google. Anyway all the PR would go to the redirect.pl script and not stay on the site itself. That's why javascript links are the best, google can't read them att all and the PR doesn't leak to other sites. That's why I think this is a must for me if I'm going to use this script. I tried messing with the code but I couldn't open the files for some reason.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>emu5007 - I've got 30 sites in Google Top 5 too, but I'd hesitate to say what it was that got them there, or if it will keep them there next month. I wasn't digging at you - all I meant was that (regardless of Google success or lack of it) it is extremely difficult to pin down specific individual or combination techniques that are directly responsible for SE position.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm sorry if it looked like I was mocking you. I really don't consider myself an expert on Google but I have some routines and stuff that I do with all of my sites and I put time to read on various forums every day about google and new stuff that works and I really do think that the things I do and have done have helped me with my placements on Google. Again I'm sorry if my previous reply came out worng, it was not my intention.

Regarding page rank
    http://www.iprcom.com/papers/pagerank/
    (a bit math though)

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread