I have three "featured product" links in my main store entrance. I use to be able to go to Amazon's associate section and use their "build a useless link" which would produce several size pictures of the product after typing in their asin number. I always chose the medium picture. Now Amazon no longer allows me that option that I can see.

Here is what I want. I want a medium picture of a product such as DVD. I want to use that picture as a base for an ae script tag calling up the ae asinsearch to allow the customer to call a results page. As far as I know, ae does not meet these requirments because all I really want in these three links is a picture. I want my own description now one pulled from Amazon's servers.

David, do you know how I can either pull medium size pictures from amazon (I use to just copy them into a folder on my server) OR use ae for such simple tasks as displaying JUST a medium picture with a asinsearch ae link?

Dennis

Have a look at the ae-format/column.html formatting file. This formatting file is used to display the column of bestselling products that appears in the sidebar of each store page, e.g.: Gloria Estefan CD's.

You can use column.html as is, or make a copy of it and modify that copy (give the copy a meaningful filename such as ae-format/medium.html to indicate that it displays a medium sized picture; or whatever filename you prefer).

In column.html, you'll see:

<!--format.image.small?y-->

The word small in this formatting code indicates the size of image to display (the ?y is required). By changing "small", you can change the size of the image. Possible values are (from smallest to largest):

thumb
    small
    medium
    large

Thus <!--format.image.medium?y--> will display a medium image and it will be linked to the details page of that ASIN. FYI, if you change the ?y to ?n then the link will go to the details page at amazon.com instead of the details page displayed locally via ae.pl

To use the column.html formatting file, add &format=column (don't include the .html) to your URL. Similarly, to use a formatting file called medium.html, add &format=medium to your URL. For example, if you want to include ASIN B0000028TU using SSI, then use something like the following URL in your SSI:

http://www.bime.com/cgi-bin/ae.pl?as...mat=column&ssi

FYI, the <!--format.image.*--> codes are defined in the ae-format/library.fmt file. Search for "image formats".

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation
    per: David Cusimano

Thanks David, however, this seems much too complicated for something as simple as I want to do. All I want to do is A) have a picture displayed on the store entrance and B) have that picture linked to the asinsearch page through ae.pl.

Normally, I would display the picture (which was saved from Amazon's server into a folder on my site)and link that picture to the ae.pl asinsearch page to be displayed locally. My question was :Is there a simple was to pull one item picture, format it to Medium and have it displayed dynamically on the page as someone pulled it up. Once clicked, it would go to the asinsearch page through ae.pl.

The time it would take me to figure out how ssi works and IF I could get it to work is not worth it (I could just continue doing what I am doing now just a little extra time finding a medium picture). Using the column.html looks like I would have to imbed another html page into my current page with something like an iframe etc. again, too much trouble. I was really looking for a simple script tag that would do all of it dynamically as the page loads.

Dennis

You can use the grid parameter. For example,

http://www.diversautograph.com/cgi-b...008OWZE&grid=u

shows one product, ASIN B00008OWZE which is a music CD by Jewel, using the product's medium-sized image.

So put this in a <SCRIPT> tag (add script& to the URL), such as:

<SCRIPT SRC="/cgi-bin/ae.pl?script&asinsearch=B00008OWZE&grid=u"></SCRIPT>

To show a different product, change the asinsearch= value to the ASIN of the product you want to show.

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation

Thanks David. You have been a big help, and your last suggestion was all I needed to get a nice simple solution to my problem. I was unaware that the grid function could be used as a default without specifying columns and rows and would in fact just be a single item.

This solution allows me to easily change items just by changing the asin number and now I do not have to worry with securing a picture of the item in a separate task.

Dennis

If grid dimensions are not specified as part of the grid parameter, then the defaults are used which are c:1 (one column) and r:10 (ten rows). The u option (grid=u) causes the text to be put underneath the image (and also causes the medium image to be used rather than the small thumbnail image). Since the asinsearch= parameter only has one ASIN specified, only one product is shown.

If you want to show three products across, you could do that using one <SCRIPT> tag rather than three <SCRIPT> tags; thus reducing rendering time and reducing server usage. To do this, specify all the ASIN's one after the other seperated by commas (the products are displayed in the same order as the ASIN's are specified):

asinsearch=B00009RGBS,B00008OWZE,0425188361

Then make the grid three columns by one row (with text underneath a medium image):

grid=c:3,r:1,u

So the one <SCRIPT> tag would be:

<SCRIPT SRC="/cgi-bin/ae.pl?script&grid=c:3,r:1,u&asinsearch=B00009RGBS,B00008OWZE,0425188361"> </SCRIPT>

To show different products, just change the value of the asinsearch= parameter.

FYI: There is no parameter/option to specify the amount of blank spacing between each product (it's part of <!--format.grid.header--> in ae-format/library.fmt and is: cellspacing=8 cellpadding=3).

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread