I'm trouble using SSI. At the point where the amazon buy buttons are included in the list some code chokes up in the results. You can see an example here (in items 11-20, the first 10 use the script format):

http://www.compact-flash-memory-card...lash-card.html (note you can try with .shtml and the same thing happens.)

Any tips or pointers to fix this? - Thanks

dpam,

It looks like the URL of your SSI statement is using the parameter called "script" (e.g.: /cgi-bin/ae.pl?script&...). Do not use the "script" parameter in an SSI statement. Instead, use the parameter called "ssi" in an SSI statement (e.g.: /cgi-bin/ae.pl?ssi&...). For details, see: Quick Tutorial.

Also, rather than using a <script> tag to display the first 10 items and an SSI to display the next 10 items, you can use one SSI statement (and no <script> tag) to display the first 20 items by using the parameter pagesize=20 which overrides the pagesize configuration variable.

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation
    per: David Cusimano

Thanks for taking a look. I didn't notice that &script inside the string, so that fixed it.

I was only using <script> for the first 10, and SSI for the second batch as a test while I experimented. I broke this into 2 parts (and am using the pagesize = "10") to get better speed in terms of user display. THis way it shows the first 10 in one table, then the user can look at those while the second 10 draw. Is this a valid strategy?

Thanks again for your assistance.

OK, next problem. the page won't render the second SSI. Is there some problem with multiple SSI's in a page?

If I include both, the second doesn't render. If I delete the first, the second works just fine so I know it isn't any syntax problem.

I'd really like to use several on a page (some grid ones in the sidebar, so I hope this isn't a limitation). - DPAM

Fixed. I had an extra " at the end. Sorry.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I was only using &lt;script&gt; for the first 10, and SSI for the second batch as a test while I experimented. I broke this into 2 parts (and am using the pagesize = "10") to get better speed in terms of user display. THis way it shows the first 10 in one table, then the user can look at those while the second 10 draw. Is this a valid strategy?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>There is no advantage in breaking a long list of results into multiple AE calls (whether they are SSI or &lt;script&gt; ) because of the overhead (memory, starup time, http connection) of each AE call. Use one SSI to display all 20 results rather than breaking it into a &lt;script&gt; and SSI to show 10 each.

FYI, if the &lt;script&gt; and SSI are inside a &lt;table&gt;, then Internet Explorer will not render the contents of the table until all of the table contents (including content from &lt;script&gt; ) has been downloaded. This is how Internet Explorer works with tables; this is not because of AE. So even though the SSI will have completed, the results in the table will not show up until the &lt;script&gt; has also completed. So in general, to speed up any webpage (whether it uses AE or not), try to avoid using long tables (or split the long table into a sequence of two or more smaller tables).

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation
    per: David Cusimano

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread