Hi,

I just installed the ae.pl script for the first time. Very easy!

Question: I would like to control the page tiles, descriptions, and make the "content" static in the pages.

I have already configured mod-rewrite.

Is there anything else I should do to maximize google spidering and index inclusion?

Also, is there anyone that could do the optimization for a fee?

Thanks,

Jeff

Edit your template file, such as ae-template/default.html, or edit ae.ini and change the configuration variables store.pagetitle.text and store.sitetitle.text

The text supplied by amazon.com, such as product reviews and product titles, cannot be edited. You can either display that information or not. And you can change where on the page and in what format that information is displayed. See Page Templates and Format Templates.

Regarding 'make the "content" static in the pages', even with Virtual Directory (mod_rewrite), Associate Engine does not create static .html files on disk. All output from Associate Engine is generated dynamically "on the fly" (to speed up repeat requests, XML data from amazon.com is saved in the ae-cache directory). When using Virtual Directory, the output only looks like it is static .html files. For example, http://www.bime.com/amazon/asinsearch_B0000646TK.html may look like a static .html file but it actually runs Associate Engine.

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation
    per: David Cusimano

I was able to change the page title and site titles without a hitch.

However, I still can't find the variable that controls the "format" template that is served up in Stores directory (under the "more" tab).

My page pulls up my page and site titles but still inserts the word "Format" in the lines. I would prefer it serve up a default such as "discount books" instead. How do I format that variable?

Also, could I use the "format" template as the index.html for my root domain? I currently have a "holder" page that doesn't match the look and feed of the stroe templates.

Thanks

Jeff

[This message was edited by cusimano on September 25, 2003 at 10:19 AM.]

1. Navbar of Stores Directory ("more..." tab):

The relevant template file is ae-template/store/stores.html

Open that file in your HTML editor. Near the top you'll see the tabs (Books, DVD's, Music, etc.). Just below that you'll see some HTML/text that uses the formatting code {navbarTitleFull} twice. Replace both occurrences with discount books (or whatever text you want).

The navbar of the Stores Directory currently shows "Books / Format" due to a bug in the ae-template/store/stores.html file. In the next release of Associate Engine, I will change ae-template/store/stores.html so it says "Stores Directory". The word "Format" comes directly from Amazon.com and is referring to the format of books (hardcover, softcover, large print, etc.); it does not refer to Associate Engine format templates.

2. AE as home page:

To make the Stores Directory appear as your home page, create a .htaccess file (in the directory where your homepage file would be) and use RewriteRule to make your webserver redirect to AE when your home page URL is requested. Such as:

RewriteEngine on
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteRule ^$ /cgi-bin/ae.pl?template=stores

FYI, the ^$ is a pattern match string that matches "nothing" after / (see Apache webserver documentation for details).

Note: Each time your home page is requested, AE will run. This is slightly inefficient since the page output will look the same most of the time (as set by your cache stale time). If you have a lot of users visiting your home page, rather than using the above RewriteRule, you might want to look into setting up a linux cron job that periodically (e.g.: every 1 hour) captures the output from /cgi-bin/ae.pl?template=stores and saves it to the /index.html file. That way, when users go to your homepage, the webserver outputs the static /index.html file rather than running the AE script.

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation
    per: David Cusimano

[This message was edited by cusimano on September 25, 2003 at 11:14 AM.]

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread