At my template I am using {itemKeywords}, but only a part of Keyword text is included in the HTML pages. The datafeed has the full text. There are no limitation for writing the text (like a pixel table).

What to do ?

If you are using {itemKeywords} then the entire contents of the KEYWORDS field from the datafeed is used. Go to http://www.c3scripts.com/support and send a URL to me so I can see the HTML that you are talking about. Also, indicate if this happens on one item or for all items, and what version of datafeed file is being used (i.e.: it's date).

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation
    per: David Cusimano

I have send the info.

I just downloaded the datafeed file from GoCollect.com (dated 10/24/2003 7:55 AM) and opened the .csv file in Microsoft Excel. The KEYWORD column (column H) appears to contain at most 200 characters. If you look at some of the entries in that column you'll see that it is truncated at 200 characters even in the middle of a word.

You'll have to ask GoCollect.com to include more characters in the KEYWORD field in their datafeed file. The gocollect.pl script is showing whatever is in the FIELD.

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation

OK, I will. Thanks.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I contacted our technology department and requested that they expand the amount of characters allowed in the KEYWORDS field.

I will let you know as soon as I have some resolve.

Regards,
    Laura

Our tech team is going to update the KEYWORDS field to allow more characters.

As you know, the datafeed is updated on a daily basis (every morning). This update will be run with tomorrow morning's update. I will check the feed as soon as I come into the office tomorrow and let you know if it was successful.

Thanks,
    Laura

Good Morning,

I checked the datafeed file this morning and it looks like the update didn't run properly (still shows last date modified as 10/27/03). I contacted our tech dept so they can run the update manually. I will let you know when the updated file is available. Thank you in advance, for your patience.

Regards,
    Laura

Laura

Having just looked at the feed, there's a bigger problem with the keywords field than its length.

Basically it seems to be a rough concatenation of the name and description fields - complete with html markup.

While the value of the "keywords" meta tag may in itself be debatable, there certainly is no value in including this lengthy text as a keyword value on a web page.

Ideally, keywords should be entered per item, but if you have to settle for a bulk productionized solution, I'd suggest something like:

manufacturer - comma - item name - comma - then the description field with all common words (and, they, it, he, she etc etc) replaced by commas ... and html and other punctuation removed

That might give something like a real keyword list for an individual product.

--------------
    Are you Crazy?

I agree. But there is something else I found out. There are thousands of description with only a number, like "Item # 10086
    ". I think GoCollect mixed up the description field and the keyword field. Laura is working on this one.

FYI, add * after a variable's name to remove all HTML from that variable, such as: {itemKeywords*}

FYI, add + after a variable's name to remove all HTML from that variable and replace spaces with + signs, such as:
    <A HREF="http://www.google.com/search?q={mfgName+}">Search google.com for {mfgName}</A>

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation

Uphill, I know I contacted you regarding the Description & Keyword fields via email, however, I just wanted to clarify this for any other affiliates reading the post.

The DESCRIPTION field should be used as your product description. As Uphill pointed out, many of the descriptions only contain an item number. If you look at those SKUs on GoCollect.com, you will notice that we do not have a description either. The datafeed pulls the data directly from our site each morning. If we are missing a description on our site, it will not be included in the datafeed. Unfortunately, I do not control the product information available. GoCollect is continuously working on updates to our catalog to provide as much product data as possible. As updates are made on GoCollect.com, they will automatically be added to the datafeed.

As for the KEYWORDS column - the only reason there is data posted there is so that the item #'s are included as keywords. This makes the catalog searchable by Item #.

I hope this information is useful. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Regards,
    Laura

Laura
    GoCollect.com

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread