David,

Are there any steps in the ae.pl config that we can use to minimize the server load. I have several sites running ae.pl on my dedicated server, and when Google and Inktomi are running bots, the server load creeps up on me. I was hoping that you might have some tricks for maximum efficiency.

Thanks to those bots, and C3Scripts, I just had my best quarter ever! Cheers to David!

ABW Ambassador
    Nodnarb,

I don't know if there is anything you can do to minimize server load or not. I was just curious, are you using virtual directory to make your pages more search engine friendly. I've just put up a couple of sites with this script, and am using virtual directory on one and not on the other. Just wondering what others think, if it is a good idea to use virtual directory or not.

Wayne

Try the following optimizations in ae.ini:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Change pagesize to 10 or 20 rather than the default of 25. Amazon returns data in blocks of 10 so displaying 25 results on a page actually requires 3 requests to amazon. 20 results requires only 2 requests to amazon. And only 10 results requires only 1 request to amazon.com

<LI>Increase cache.stale from 1 to a higher number. This variable specifies the number of hours that data remains fresh in the cache before it becomes stale and is deleted from the cache (maximum 72 hours). However, increasing this value would only speed up repeat requests. Also, you should set showPrices to no if you set cache.stale to more than 1 hour otherwise out of date prices may be shown.

<LI>Increase cache.size to a higher number. Maximum is "10mb" which is 10 megabytes.

<LI>Set imageWH to no. You should not turn on imgehWH unless you really need that since it increases CPU and internet usage.

<LI>Set asinsearch.format to "" so that product details are not shown locally using AE but rather at the amazon.com website instead. However, of course, the disadvantage of this is that details are not shown locally.[/list]Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation
    per: David Cusimano

4. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread