Hi,

I moved my amazon script from a shared p4 host to a dedicated dual xeon and it is actually significanlty slower on the dual xeon.

This is the second time a move to a dual xeon has caused a drop in performance.

I'm running red hat enterprise 3 with the 2.4 kernel.It is being upgraded to the 2.6. I also have cpanel whm on the system.

Any ideas as to why, and how can I fix it?

maybe RAM? Shared machines may have way more RAM to support more websites. These website may not use most of it, so the one website that needs it takes advantage of the whole machine.

ABW Ambassador
    When you say slower, do you mean the load is peaking? Or just a slower response? How much ram does the machine have?

Chet

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Start with bottle neck points. 1st point is the router ...ask Cisco for advice on multi Xeon processors and mirrored drive setups. Then appraoch the OS bottlenecks to see if a load balancer application isn't available. RAM upgrade is a given.

Mike & Charlie ...

"Payment is one option that isn't negotiable. Merchants require it for purchases ...SO DO WE."

There have been talks about Xeon Hypertheating being a bottleneck for webservers.... you may want to check that out:

http://forum.rackshack.net/showthrea...threadid=26073

If you don't have MRTG installed I would suggest you install it and have it graph CPU,Memory,Load, etc for a few days... something may just jump out.

http://www.easyservermanagement.com/howto/mrtg.html

What ISP are you using? How is their support?

Certainly sounds like something is wrong. I have a dedicated dual Xeon with 5+ busy sites that pull ae results into every page - usually as a result of other scripting. Plus dozens of static sites on the same box.

Graphing all the vital signs is certainly a good move, also monitoring what else is happening on the box - keep "top" running in a SSH window for a while to monitor processes and loads you may not be aware of. In normal use, it's unusual for more than 2 of the 4 processors listed in "top" (hyperthreading) to be less than 80% free at any time on my server.

... and RAM is always a prime suspect. How much you got? ANd who is the server located with - you haven't moved from a good virtual to a poor dedicated provider have you?

--------------
    Are you Crazy?

The Dual Xeon's SCREAM when they're configured right. I have two, each with 4GB of RAM and they handle an incredible amount of volume. I was on a single-processor P4 before, and the Dual Xeons appear to be about 3x as fast and have been able to handle at least 4x the traffic.

RAM would be the first thing I would check.

Database configuration would be another.

Web server configuration would be another.

Another REALLY oddball thing to check. If you're using the Unix "cut" command anywhere with a space as a delimiter, there's a huge difference between cut -d" " and cut -d' '. That later is the way you need to go.

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

Hey Michael,

It sounds like there is a great story behind the cut command suggestion. Care to elaborate?

No great story. I just have a bunch of home-grown log analysis scripts that I wrote. Apache logs are space-delimited. I had used cut -d" " -f{n} to extract fields. It worked fine. When I transitioned to the Dual Xeon, those scripts (and a few other things) ran incredibly slow. It took days to track down the problem. Switching to cut -d' ' -f{n} fixed it.

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

I see. mysql,apache,ram are obvious bottlenecks; I would have never thought of the cut command. Odd and Interesting.

Check that your cache directories (ae-cache and ae-imgcache) have files being written to them. At least the ae-cache directory should have *.tmp files in it. If they are both empty, check the write permissions of the directories (should be either CHMOD 755 or 775 or 777 depending upon your server configuration). Also, setting pageSize configuration variable to 10 (default is 25) will speed up the display of results.

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation
    per: David Cusimano

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by prm:
    Hi,

I moved my amazon script from a shared p4 host to a dedicated dual xeon and it is actually significanlty slower on the dual xeon.

This is the second time a move to a dual xeon has caused a drop in performance.

I'm running red hat enterprise 3 with the 2.4 kernel.It is being upgraded to the 2.6. I also have cpanel whm on the system.

Any ideas as to why, and how can I fix it?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow, thanks for all the feedback

Here are a few answers to the many questions asked about my server.

The server is at the planet datacenter I rented from them also.

The only thing on the new server is the ae.pl program.

It has a gig ram and a 80 gig sata drive.

It is slow even during the lowest load periods... zero traffic times. My p4 sites, shared or dedicated, load internal pages in 0-3 seconds. My duals, at both places, load in 9-15 seconds.

The same thing happened when I had it hosted at midphase and their facility... but only when I moved it to one of their new dual xeon machines with cpanel.

My static sites on the dual screamed at midphase, only the ae.pl slowed down when moved to the dual xeon. The dual there had a 100 meg uplink.

I checked the routers before transfering to make sure they weren't blocking or throttling back the amazon xml feed. This applies to both midphase and the planet.

Users on the forum for the planet reported no problems getting access to the amazon xml feed.

My "webmaster" is my partner and he has never dealt with duals before but he is working with the planet's staff for configuring maximum performance. Still, even at midphase with a managed semi-private dual the script took 12-15 seconds to load internal pages.

I'll pass the suggestions along and would greatly appreciate any others.

Thanks again for all the help.

Jeff

You nailed the problem right on the head!

When they moved me from the shared server to the first dual they didn't reset permissions.

We just moved what they had over "as is" so the lack of permissions carried over.

I just spent $190 month to figure out a problem that could've been fixed for free.

Oh well, you live and you learn.

Thanks again to you and the rest of the board for such excellent help. I really appreciate it.

Jeff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cusimano:
    Check that your cache directories (ae-cache and ae-imgcache) have files being written to them. At least the ae-cache directory should have *.tmp files in it. If they are both empty, check the write permissions of the directories (should be either CHMOD 755 or 775 or 777 depending upon your server configuration). Also, setting pageSize configuration variable to 10 (default is 25) will speed up the display of results.

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation
    per: _David Cusimano_<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread