Hi,

I found the AE script product searching for a little while on the net on how one might be able to generate a list of Amazon ISBN with coresponding sales raks.

My question is...Is there a way to do this with the AE script? If not, is there a script or a way to do this??

Thanks for any replies in advance.
    Chuck

PS. I am glad I found this script. Right now I am looking for the above mentioned process but I believe in the future I may have a use for AE even if it does not do what I need t to do right now. Looks like a great product.

You can make a custom format template that displays whatever product details you want to display such as the ISBN and sales rank.

For example, the following link shows a bulleted list of "Biographies & Memoirs" books:

http://www.c3scripts.com/cgi-bin/ae....=2&format=isbn

If you prefer, you can add "ssi" to the URL to get just the raw {results} without any page template (or you could make your own custom page template):

http://www.c3scripts.com/cgi-bin/ae....ormat=isbn&ssi

You can format any search using your custom format.

The "isbn" format template that I used above was created by copying ae-format/listul.html to ae-format/isbn.html and changing the contents of the format.cell code to:

<li><a href="{format.url?y}">{details.productname}</a>,
    {if details.isbn}ISBN: {details.isbn},{endif}
    Sales Rank: {details.salesrank}
    </li>

This makes each item of the bulleted list show the product's name (as a link), its ISBN (if it has one) and its sales rank.

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation
    per: David Cusimano
    Affiliate Tools: Datafeed Merge

OK. Thanks.

However, I am kinda confused.

If you go to the following URL...

http://www.c3scripts.com/cgi-bin/ae....ormat=isbn&ssi

I was under the impression that it would return the top 100 bestsellers in the books category. However it does not. Can you explain why that is?

My goal with this software would be, for a simple example, to display the top 500 bestselling books or DVD or whatever category. Is this posible with your scripts?

On that website, I have pagesize set to 25 in the configuration file. It can be changed. Or pagesize can be added as a parameter to override the configured value, &pagesize=100

The maximum value of pagesize is 100. Add &page=2 to display the 2nd page, &page=3 to display the 3rd page, etc., up to &page=25. Thus you can theoretically display up to 2500 results for a particular search (i.e.: 100 results/page times 25 pages = 2500 results).

Note that Amazon.com Web Services (AWS) returns results in blocks of 10. So, setting pagesize=100 would cause 10 requests to AWS (i.e.: 100 results divided by 10 results/request = 10 requests) -- each AWS request takes at least 1 second. NOTE: AWS data is cached locally, so repeat searches are displayed much faster since they use the cached data.

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation

Again, thanks for the response.

However, there is still one thing I am not clear on which perhaps I did not convey clearly.

Given the following link...

http://www.c3scripts.com/cgi-bin/ae....i&pagesize=100

I am under the impression that what would be displayed would be the top 100 bestsellers in Amazon's book category.

However, the results you get are, in fact, not that at all. As you can see, the first lsiting you get is the 278th best selling book, then the 3,114th best selling book, etc.

I was under the impression that the results would be displayed in order of the current bestsellers in the books category as shown on Amazon.

If you go to Amazon's books category and access the top 100 bestsellers, you will find that their list does not correspond with the list AE gives you.

So why is that? Can you explain?

Is it possible to have AE display the ACTUAL top 100 (or even the ACTUAL top 2500 fo rtaht matter) bestselling books and in order?

Amazon.com's AWS (Amazon.com Web Services) server does all the sorting. Associate Engine merely displays the results that Amazon.com provides.

For some reason Amazon.com AWS is not sorting the results correctly. I have sent an email to AWS Support asking them about this. All AWS-based scripts are affected by this, not just Associate Engine.

Amazon.com does not provide all of its product database via AWS. In particular, Amazon.com no longer provides the "best selling books" (browse node 1000) via AWS. See Amazon.com's post. All AWS-based scripts are affected by this; no AWS-based script can show the "true" "top selling books" list that the amazon.com website shows since it is not available via AWS. As suggested by Amazon.com AWS Support (see post), Associate Engine uses data from browse node 504358.

Also, only "browse nodes" are accessible via AWS, that is, only URL http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...WSENODENUMBER/ are accessible via AWS. Amazon.com's "Top Sellers > Books" page is not accessible via AWS; its URL http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg.../books/283155/ is not a "browse node".

If Amazon.com makes browse node 1000 available again through AWS in the future, we will make Associate Engine use it again.

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread