Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    What is CJ doing to address the fact that KaZaa is giving a page error message when anyone clicks on a CJ affiliate link for any merchant?

This is costing CJ and all affiliates a tremendous amount of money.

We are looking into this issue and are working on a solution to resolve the problem.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

This is Kazaa Lite?

________
    All your commission are belong to us.
    Check out the latest Homeland Security press releases.

Todd, do you see a resolution to this problem soon?

I am getting emails again in the last few days, from surfers pointing out problems with my links. - same as I did with the pre Christmas KaZaa blocking problems.

Abigail

ABW Ambassador
    Abigail,
    I had this problem when my son downloaded kazza lite. This program establishes a host file and all ip adresses which are entered there by kazaa are blocked. ( You can see how it works if you have blocked a blocked www.xxxxx.com address and you enter only the xxxxx.xom address. This will then be found and you can reach it). I erased that host file and deleted it and after that everything workes fine till today. Windows does not need it and kazaa also not. Kazza is still working properly. In my opinion you can tell your customers to delete this file and everything will work fine.
    Just my experience
    carneol

p.s.:dont delete the hosts.sam file because this is only a sample file

This is the problem, it requires a client-side fix and I really can't see a workaround for CJ or any other network.

At least no theiving scumbag is making money off us this time.. just *no-one* makes any money.

________

We've discussed this issue in the past, and we've been waiting for CJ to come up with a solution. I don't think I can convince my visitors to delete the HOST file, I know I would never delete a file just because some website told me to (I'm sure we've all seen those emails that tell us to delete files that turn out to be very important). I sent an email out to the people that make Kazaa Lite, but they never responded. I think they had good intentions when they included the HOST file with their program, but they don't really realize what they've done. It's not like the HOST file that blocks ads helps them earn more money. Perhaps if more people could write emails to them the next Kazaa Lite won't have this file. If someone could find their email address it would be a great help, I seem to have lost it.

My understanding is that the hosts file is set to block certain sites by domain name. Creating an alias for qksrv.net (e.g. qksrv2.net) would get around it, but it would be fiddly for publishers to do.

________

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Originally posted by david11982:
    I sent an email out to the people that make Kazaa Lite, but they never responded. I think they had good intentions when they included the HOST file with their program, but they don't really realize what they've done. It's not like the HOST file that blocks ads helps them earn more money. Perhaps if more people could write emails to them the next Kazaa Lite won't have this file. If someone could find their email address it would be a great help, I seem to have lost it.
    David, I'm afraid you're very naive. KaZaA knows exactly what they are doing and in fact, it's intentional. It's their way of getting back to all of the merchants and networks for terminating them for their scumbag tactics.

I suspect they had a good laugh when they read your email.

I just found it interesting that last time I brought this up - getting feedback from surfers - CJ told me "There is no way" and this time the response has been "working on a solution" - I was just wondering...........

Abigail

ABW Ambassador
    Todd,

Is that the same way you're looking into the concerns about the CJ Mail system, or a different way? Anyway, please do, as more people learn that kazaa sucks ass, they install kazaa lite... we loose(tm) either way.

----
    -J
    The neighbors complain about the noises above ... But she only comes when she's on top.

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    David, I'm afraid you're very naive. KaZaA knows exactly what they are doing and in fact, it's intentional. It's their way of getting back to all of the merchants and networks for terminating them for their scumbag tactics.

I suspect they had a good laugh when they read your email.

And I'm afraid you're very ignorant. Its not KaZaA that does this, its KaZaA Lite, an unauthorized hack of the KMD which purports to remove all the spyware, adware, etc. They just go a little overboard. I suspect some had a good laugh at your response.

Of course, if, as you originally stated KaZaA itself is truly doing this, then, I'll be happy to eat my virtual shorts... I havent tested their crapware in awhile...

quote:
    This is the problem, it requires a client-side fix and I really can't see a workaround for CJ or any other network.

Moo, one proposed solution is to separate the domain for the ad server and the click server.
    Linkshare does this (click.linksynergy.com, vs ad.linksynergy.com); CJ, Befree do not. Hopefully in that case they'd only block the adserver...

quote:
    My understanding is that the hosts file is set to block certain sites by domain name. Creating an alias for qksrv.net (e.g. qksrv2.net) would get around it, but it would be fiddly for publishers to do.
    Thats an interesting solution, and very simple, yet elegant.

I only get one A record for www.qksrv.net
    Name: www.qksrv.net
    Address: 216.34.209.13

Have you tested something like qksrv.yourdomain.com pointing at that IP address? I'm wondering if not having the correct HOST header on the GET request from the browser would break it or not?

----
    -J
    The neighbors complain about the noises above ... But she only comes when she's on top.

Oh! Was that the reason why I couldn't even get into the CJ and LS sites when using my friend's computer the other day?

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Originally posted by Abigail:
    I just found it interesting that last time I brought this up - getting feedback from surfers - CJ told me "There is no way" and this time the response has been "working on a solution" - I was just wondering...........

Abigail

Abigail, were you told that after going through the regular channels at CJ, or did Todd or another CJ employee post that here at ABestWeb?

Does anybody have a version of Kazaa that is doing this?

I believe all it does is add a line to the windows host file under Windows/System32/drivers/etc. The file is called 'HOSTS'. It basically redirects any DNS requests to what you specify in the hosts file.

Adding a line like this would disrupt all requests to qksrv.net

qksrv.net 127.0.0.1

This would make all requests directed to the users own computer and make it fail.

If this is the case, CJ has two options for a work-around.

First, they could set up other domains as an 'alias' to qksrv.net. The only drawback to this is that Kazaa could update the hosts file on any future 'Software Updates'.

The second and more viable option is to use a IP as a host instead of a domain. This way Kazaa can't touch it.

-T

The first time was in an email from the Manager of Affiliate Relations at CJ and the solution comment was from Todd, about 4 or 5 posts up on this thread.

Abigail

quote:
    Have you tested something like qksrv.yourdomain.com pointing at that IP address? I'm wondering if not having the correct HOST header on the GET request from the browser would break it or not?

Tricky. You'd probably need to do something clever with nameservers, or forward to IP address.

On IP addresses, http://www.qksrv.net/click-1203827-4050444 works the same way at http://216.34.209.13/click-1203827-4050444 because the current IP of qksrv.net is 216.34.209.13.

However, I'd personally recommend NOT doing that because if CJ move the server to a new one, the IP address could change and you'd have a load of broken links. Even if you did a search and replace on the IP (or if you used a redirector script), you could be down for days before you found out.

________

ABW Ambassador
    I think the reason this is taking so long, cookies are set under the scope of the domain name - so they need to also have the merchant side fixed correctly to pull the right cookie.

Chet

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    The real solution for CJ -Linkshare and BeFree was to think through the real dangers of P2P networks before breeding and monitizing the parasitic thieves. All 3 got blinded by greed over a year ago as they embraced the millions of captured eyeballs and the abililty of BHO's to get hawk commissions on non-commissionsable links. They immediately automated these special class of Duper affiliates with 24/7 incent offers and pushed merchants there way!

KaZZaa itself is one of these BHO Dupers and their hacked version, KaZZaa-lite, is the resulting programming backlash of the music thieves who wanted to get rid of the infernal popups. The copywrite music thieves coulkd give a rats ass about adjusting their HOSTS file blocking all forms of unwanted advertising. They are 3rd world programer hackers interested only in freely sharing files at no cost to their underground goup.

Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

There is a simple way to fix this.. Have CJ's legal team contact kazaa.

Core

"So it's a profit thing..." - Steve Martin

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    >Tricky. You'd probably need to do something clever
    >with nameservers, or forward to IP address.

>On IP addresses,
    >http://www.qksrv.net/click-1203827-4050444 works
    >the same way at
    >http://216.34.209.13/click-1203827-4050444 because
    >the current IP of qksrv.net is 216.34.209.13.

Except that you lose all your existing clients who have a qksrv.net cookie with your a/c # in it, and Commission Junction's cookie system does NOT look for cookies stored in people's browsers under the IP#. They only (currently) look for qksrv.net and commission-junction.com

The fix is going to be messy - lost sales due to old cookies not being read, but it requires CJ to split it's banner serving and click-though hostnames so that they're entirely different domain names, then get all the merchants (sorry, advertisers) to update their systems to not only look for qksrv.net and commission-junction.com cookies, but also for the 3rd hostname as well.

It also requires CJ to stop redirecting traffic through all possible cookie hosts - currently traffic gets redirected from qksrv.net to commission-junction.com and then redirected AGAIN to the advertiser's website.

Merchants have work to do - adding a thrid cookie hostname to their systems.

CJ has work to do - updating their system to handle a new hostname for click throughs.

Affiliates have work to do - replacing links with the new hostname.

But I feel it wil be worth it, as I can see an immediate return of 10-20% of lost traffic (especially if it does turn out that Symantec's firewall product is blocking qksrv.net as default as well), and once CJ is running a different hostname for clicks compared to banner advert serving, the problem SHOULDN'T re-occur.

Let's just hope CJ can roll something out soon!

Jimmy James fan club membership # 3312

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Originally posted by Core:

That's actually more difficult than any of the technology issues involved. They're domiciled in some unknown country. This has received a tremendous amount of media attention. You might want to read up on them. All the high powered lawyers in California haven't made any progress trying to protect their recording industry clients. This is one of those downsides of the Internet. It's a free for all for all those who are unscrupulous.

quote:
    Originally posted by Core:
    LOL, not that simple - the one that has the questionable hosts file is not the real K, but a hack of that and most likely operates out of a basement somewhere, indeed a different basement every week.

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Core,

Kazaa DOESN'T distribute the CJ-blocking hosts file.

It comes with Kazaa LITE, which is produced by some people in Russia, and supplies the Kazaa program without all the trojan's attached to it. Unfortunately, they decided to also help people to block banner adverts, and that's where qksrv.net gets involved.

Nothing to do with Kazaa at all, really.

Jimmy James fan club membership # 3312

ABW Ambassador
    Ignoring BiddingForTravel...

Ahh.. the damned cookies! Forgot about that.

----
    -J

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast