David,

There have been many times when I've wanted to post just one or a few products (with only a title and price) somewhere on the page of a busy site. I never did this because I didn't want to run ae.pl every time the was page was loaded, especially not to display that small amount of data.

I'd like to see an ae.pl option that would let me generate a static HTML page for any given output. Then, I could use a simple 'include' statement to add it to my page -- without running ae.pl every time. That static page would sit there until I updated it.

True, I could build a temporary page, run it in my browser and grab the HTML, but I'd rather give ae.pl the parameters including the name of the output file. Maybe my output settings would all be in a /static folder so ae.pl could find them and batch process them periodically.

The thing is, I don't always need my products to be updated on the fly. In many cases I'd give up the dynamic updating to avoid running ae.pl so often.

Please let me know what you think. Thanks.

Bryan

You can do that with a shell script (linux equivalent of a DOS batch file) and with a cronjob (linux scheduled task). And/or if you want to initiate the update from your web browser you can do that with a slightly different shell script.

1. cronjob scheduled updating.

Set up a cronjob entry that periodically (e.g.: 4:00AM every day) calls your shell script. In the cronjob entry, you'll have to specify the full path to your shell script. For example, on my server I might name it "update" and it might be located at /home/virtual/site9/fst/var/www/cgi-bin/update (this path equates to the URL domain.com/cgi-bin/update at my site). (Even though this shell script cannot be run via a web browser, I still like to put it in an organized place such as the cgi-bin directory).

In the shell script, you would have something like:

#!/bin/sh
    /usr/bin/lynx -source "URL" > FILENAME

The first line identifies this as a shell script.
    The format of the second line is: /usr/bin/lynx -source "URL" > FILENAME

For example (note the following is intended to be one line; it might wrap when you view it here):

/usr/bin/lynx -source "http://www.domain.com/cgi-bin/ae.pl?type=best&mode=music" > /home/virtual/site9/fst/var/www/html/music.html

The second line runs the lynx program (a linux web browser) and tells it to output the HTML received from the specified URL and the "> FILENAME" causes the output to be saved to the specified file. The URL must be in quotation marks otherwise the "?" will be interpretted as filename wildcard character and cause problems. The FILENAME must be a full path. You can repeat the second line with different URL's/FILENAME's. If your server doesn't have lynx, try replacing "/usr/bin/lynx -source" with "/usr/bin/GET" (no -source parameter).

2. Web browser initiated updating.

You can use the following with or without the above cronjob updating. It causes the updating to be done immediately.

Use a similar shell script as above. You just need to add a few extra commands to it. You might save it in your cgi-bin directory as a file called updatenow.pl (upload in ASCII mode and set file execute perissions using CHMOD):

#!/bin/sh
    /usr/bin/lynx -source "URL" > FILENAME
    echo "Content-type: text/html"
    echo ""
    echo ""
    echo "updated"

As above, you might need to replace "/usr/bin/lynx -source" with "/usr/bin/GET". Repeat the second line with as many URL's/FILENAME's as needed. The FILENAME must be a full path.

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation
    per: David Cusimano
    Affiliate Tools: Datafeed Merge

3. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread