gocollect.pl v4.06.24 has been released. It includes a critical fix to work with GoCollect.com's new link format. See complete list of revisions.

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation
    per: David Cusimano
    Affiliate Tools: Datafeed Merge

ah lovely, now I have a site of 50,000+ pages of nothingness.

I also get a bunch of these error messages when the script runs -- [utf8 warning: Red & Whiteテつ*Unityテつ*Rosesテつ*]

[utf8 warning: Teacher Appreciation Bouquetテつ*]

[utf8 warning: The Long Stem Rainbowテつ*Rosesテつ*(12 Stem)]

[utf8 warning: The Long Stem Rainbowテつ*Rosesテつ*(24 Stem)]
    Heidi
    "Happy are those who dream dreams and are willing to pay the price to make them come true"

David,

Thanks for the update.

but i too am having a lot of blank generated pages, probably similar to what Heidi is experiencing.

I've got no idea if this is relevant, but if you're running the script on Redhat Linux 9, the default language environment setting is en_US.utf8, which causes all kinds of problems.

If that's the case,

export LANG=en_US

at a shell prompt might help.

(If I'm completely off track please ignore... )

I'm not sure which version of redhat I have but the script always worked like a charm previously. The datafeed I downloaded tonight, and replaced the gocollect.pl as instructed and it gave me those error messages that I've never seen before and of course generated nothing but empty pages for me.
    Heidi
    "Happy are those who dream dreams and are willing to pay the price to make them come true"

The utf8 warnings can be ignored. The GoCollect.com datafeed has some unusual characters in it. Example: see this product's title.

Did you download the lastest datafeed? I didn't get any utf8 warnings when I used the latest "instock" datafeed and got only one utf8 warning when I used the latest "complete" datafeed.

You say that you're getting "blank generated page". Did the script run to completion? See the gocollect-log.txt file. Please provide URL's showing the problem.

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation

ABW Ambassador
    ...me too!

I'm generating the pages on my local machine with a test set of 50 items and every page I've checked is blank. I also tried a default setup with the only change being the number of records processed and the same thing is happening.

Download gocollect.pl v4.06.25 (same download instructions as v4.06.24).

There was a bug in the template read routine that could cause the template to be read as empty. There was also a bug in the utf8 routine that would cause "&HASH(&0x...) to appear. You can ignore utf8 warnings (if any).

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation

Thanks David - its running now and all appears to be ok
    Heidi

David

How come this script is so very slow now compared to the speed it used to run? I'm running it on my server and at the rate its going its gonna take 23 hours to complete!!!!!!!! This is a bit much!
    Heidi

The speed of the script would depend upon the load and what other processes are running on your server at the same time (httpd, ae.pl, etc.)

david, I have a faster server than I used to run, with more ram and this script is pathetically slow now. It never used to be this bad. Generally would take me an hour - this has been running now for almost 6 hours and has 42,222 products left to do!

I only use the feed with in stock products.
    Heidi

You can increase the priority of the running gocollect.pl process by using the following commands at the linux command prompt:

ps ax -eo pid,nice,pri,command | grep gocollect.pl

That's a vertical bar (shift-\) between ax and grep.

The output should be something like:

7454 5 9 perl gocollect.pl

The first column of the output will indicate the PID (process ID) of the gocollect.pl process that is running. Make a note of that number so you can use it in the command below. In the above example, the PID is 7454. If nothing shows up, then gocollect.pl is not running. If more than one line saying "perl gollect.pl" shows up, then more than one instance of gocollect.pl is running (probably not intended!).

Now increase the priority of the process by typing the following command (replace PIDNUMBER with the PID number) to decrease the process's "nice" factor:

renice -5 PIDNUMBER

For example, assuming that the PID is 7454:

renice -5 7454

This changes the priority to -5 (negative numbers are higher priority, 0 is the "standard" base level, and positive numbers are low priority). Don't use a number less than -10 (e.g.: 0 down to -10). Any lower than -10 and that process will start using all of the CPU (definitely not a good thing).

Note: If you use the nohup command (e.g.: nohup perl gocollect.pl &), then the process will run with a nice factor of +5 (i.e.: slower than the standard). Use the renice command to give it higher priority while still running in the background.

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread