gocollect.pl v4.07.01 has been released. It includes a fix to work with GoCollect.com's "Click here to view the amazing detail!!" datafeed problem. See complete list of revisions.

NOTE: Since it's a holiday here in Canada (Canada Day; equivalent to July 4th in USA), I will be sending out the announcement email about v4.07.01 on Monday. For details just click the revisions link above.

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation
    per: David Cusimano
    Affiliate Tools: Datafeed Merge

http and a telephoto
    Thanks David!!! Enjoy your holiday!!
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Just downloaded this ... 3 observations:

1) Amazing Detail. Couldn't this have been made into an affiliate link?

2) Key File. Have I missed a (major) version, or is this the first time key files have been required with the gocollect script? Having been away for a few days, I find myself the day before the deadline having to request a key before I can do the conversion.

3) Affiliate ID. In the 4.07.01 distribution zip file, the gocollect.ini file seems to have no gocollectID placeholder. The descriptive para is there, but nothing on the line below it. It would be easy for someone to set this up without actually having their aff ID in there.

1. The link is removed.

2. gocollect.pl has always required a gocollect.key file. See gocollect.key request form. IMPORTANT: If you already have a gocollect.key file that has affiliate ID "affiliate-NUMBER", then you can keep using that key file since the gocollect.pl script (v4.06.24 or higher) will remove the "affiliate-" part and use just the "NUMBER" part.

3. The GoCollect.com affiliate ID is specified in the gocollect.key file. You cannot enter or change the ID yourself. There is a note in the gocollect.ini file about the gocollectID variable because so many users expect to enter it there.

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation
    per: David Cusimano
    Affiliate Tools: Datafeed Merge

Sorry for wasting your time (mostly).

1. I understand it's removed, But the link in question goes to a very useful selling page of detailed pics, usually on high ticket items. It isn't the same as the standard URL in the datafeed. My suggestion is for the script to convert the link to an affiliate link rather than remove it. As you know, there's a pretty standard syntax for flexible linking at GoCollect.

2. I'm stupid. Because I have several .ini files which I store named for their various sites, I was scanning that list and not seeing the gocollect.key file. Ignore the request.

3. Like I said ... I'm stupid.

... well, maybe not entirely stupid as I managed to put together a command line that grep'd and processed all the old aff links into new ones without rebuilding the sites, but that was only a temp fix and I'll rebuild them now.

http and a telephoto
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> . I understand it's removed, But the link in question goes to a very useful selling page of detailed pics, usually on high ticket items. It isn't the same as the standard URL in the datafeed. My suggestion is for the script to convert the link to an affiliate link rather than remove it. As you know, there's a pretty standard syntax for flexible linking at GoCollect. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Dave mentioned before that this was included in the GoCollect datafeed and can't be modified by the program, it isn't something that the script adds.

Hey, I tossed out my key with the trash from a prior version and then complained to all that would listen that my links were all going to the GoCollect home page.... DUH! LOL. We all lose our keys or lock them in the car or ... well you get the picture
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by loxly:
    Dave mentioned before that this was included in the GoCollect datafeed and can't be modified by the program, it isn't something that the script adds. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, he said it was unexpected, so the script wasn't set up to look for and process it. The script could certainly process it.

I just re-read the two threads and see now he means that GoCollect have removed the html from the description field - I read his post as referring to his initial fix which was for the script to remove the link. Either way, I'd have preferred the script to convert the link - after all, it was there for a reason, and there's nothing more satisfying than seeing one of those $800+ items on your sales report.

The GoCollect site documents how to convert any link to their site into an affiliate link. For example, a URL in the form http://www.gocollect.com/promotions/jazz_detail.asp (the example from David's post when this was originally raised) can be converted to an affiliate link in the form http://www.gocollect.com/promotions/....asp?kbid=####

As neither us nor David are in control of what GoCollect might now or in future put in product descriptions, I think it would be wiser, more productive and more resilient for the script to process any GoCollect links it finds into affiliate links.

That way we wouldn't be dependent on GC stripping out the html (which is probably being done pretty crudely). The best we can hope from that is we miss out on some deep links, the worst is that we also have descriptions rendered meaningless by the removal.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread