Wondering if it is possible in some way to get the site title as a keyword search in Amazon for AE?

For example if I had a site page with the title "chevy malibu" at my domain (say, cars.com or something), how could I get the amazon results to reflect that, automatically? I might have twenty pages at cars.com on different makes and models.

Just as an example.

When you do a keyword search, Associate Engine will show the keywords in the page title. For example, http://www.c3scripts.com/cgi-bin/ae....evrolet+malibu will put "Chevrolet Malibu" in the page title.

If you want to have a file called /chevy_malibu.html that does the above search, then you could have a file /chevy_malibu.html containing something like the following:

<html><head><title>Chevy Malibu</title></head><body>
    <!--#include
    src="/cgi-bin/ae.pl?ssi&type=search&mode=books&keyword=chevrolet+malibu" -->
    </body></html>

(your server's configuration may require that the filename end with .shtml such as /chevy_malibu.shtml)

Or you could use mod_rewrite to remap the virtual file /chevy_malibu.html to the above ae.pl URL by putting something like the following into your .htaccess file:

RewriteEngine on
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteRule chevy_malibu.html /cgi-bin/ae.pl?type=search&mode=books&keyword=chevrolet+malibu [L]

(note: the last line probably shows up as two lines on your screen.
    Its format is: RewriteRule OLDURL NEWURL)

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation
    per: David Cusimano
    Affiliate Tools: Datafeed Merge

Well, some of what I want to do is going to require lot of pages. I was hoping that there is a way to have the script automatically plant a page's relevant amazon books in a sidebar on a site that I generate based on keywords.

I have a script that pulls RSS feeds based on the page's keyword (and meta keyword), and I just paste the code in, create the page and presto, there's the RSS feed that is relevant - all automatically.

I'd like to know if there's s way to do that with AE, without having to manually post the "keyword=chevrolet+malibu" to the code. Maybe keyword=%keyword%" or something.

If there's a 3rd party utility available to do that, that'd work also.

Thanks for the help!

Make your RSS script write a <script> tag in the output at the location where you want the AE results to show up. Your RSS script would put keywords into the SRC of the <script> tag. For example, your RSS script might output:

<script src="/cgi-bin/ae.pl?script&type=search&mode=books&keyword=%KW%&format=column&pagesize=5">

You can use a different mode if you want. For example, if you want DVD's instead of books, replace the mode=books with mode=dvd

Your RSS script would have to replace %KW% with the keywords before writing the <script> tag to the output. And when your RSS script does the replacing, it needs to use + instead of spaces, for example, keywords "Tom Hanks" needs to be replaced as "Tom+Hanks" since the Internet standard is to use + instead of spaces in URL's.

The above <script> tag has format=column so that the column format is used, and the pagesize=5 limits the column to 5 results. Since the column format expands to whatever width is available, you'll probably want to put the <script> tag inside a table with a limited width, such as:

<table width=150><tr><td>
    <script src="....."></script>
    </td></tr></table>

Or, rather than using format=column, you could use other formatting such as grid=c:2,r:3 to get a 2-column x 3-row grid. Or, not specify any format/grid and let the results be formatted using the default (i.e.: numbered list with some details). Use can use whatever formatting you want.

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation
    per: David Cusimano
    Affiliate Tools: Datafeed Merge

I do this throughgout my site using php and mysql. Not that difficult and really makes life very easy. Our site is featured on David's site http://www.c3scripts.com/amazon/index.html as a live example. Its the music site.

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread