For various reasons, Our Amazon stores get traffic from all over the world. This means that we're using a lot of resources to display products to countries that can't even buy them.

For example, I have Amazon associated IDs for USA, Canada and the UK. Any traffic that I get from outside those areas seems to be a waste of resources since those people ultimately can't buy anything from me (or can they?) Maybe I'm just not aware of how Amazon supports sales outside the USA, etc. Can someone in Brazil buy something from Amazon USA and have it shipped to Brazil? Would we still get credit?

I am seriously thinking about developing a list of international IPs and blocking them in .htaccess . If I'm correct about this it might greatly reduce the loads on our servers.

What are your thoughts on this?

Bryan

International buyers can shop on amazon!!!! In fact, when i want to buy a US or UK published book, i always turn to amazon, as they are the most internationally friendly merchant on the web.

We can buy music, DVDs and books, but not consumer electronics or clothing from amazon.COM, but we can buy even more product lines from amazon.CO.UK and amazon.DE.

So... my advice is not to shut out the world from making money for you. Maybe a good chunk of your commissions is already made up of international sales, you never know.

Also, well thought-out international shipping is very rare with US merchants, so you could also differentiate your site by emphasizing that these products can be shipped to anywhere in the world.

For more on amazon's shipping rates, check out this page:
    Help > Shipping > Shipping Rates > International Shipping Rates
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/browse/-/596184/

[QUOTE]Originally posted by hungirl:
    We can buy music, DVDs and books, but not consumer electronics or clothing from amazon.COM[QUOTE]

I would agree with Hungirl, Amazon does ship internationally the items mentioned above. People from all over the world go to Amazon to buy books, as long as Amazon keeps shipping books internationally I guess you dont wanna block that.

Good idea from Hungirl to promote the stuff that is shipped internationally.
    <DT>[size=1][color=navy]"The best measure of a man's honesty isn't his income tax return.[/color][/size]<DT>[size=1][color=navy]It's the zero adjust on his bathroom scale." Arthur C. Clark[/color][/size]</DT>

don't forget people access the internet from other countries order products send to US address too

i hate ip blocking for any reason

Thanks, that's what I needed to know!

Bryan

You may want to block specific countries where the problem isn't human visitors but address harvesting robots. Even if you have no addresses, the robots take up resources.

In Australia we have to buy from one of the overseas Amazons.
    [URL=http://www.netmagellan.com/]Net Magellan blog[/URL]

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    &gt; I am seriously thinking about developing a list of international IPs and blocking them

I don't think that would be wise, you might be limiting yourself later from getting that traffic specially if a particular country opens up and you blocked them.

You could just monitor what specific IP or set of IP's and then just block those but not a whole country, certain IPs are routed through other countries which Amazon and others do business with and could affect your traffic if you block them without knowing specifics.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread