Hi, Everybody!
I've been lurking for a few days and have enjoyed reading the posts, which have been VERY helpful! I just purchased Associate Engine and am still in the testing stage. I had problems installing it correctly and wonder if anyone has any suggestions. Unfortunately, I'm a career newbie when it comes to this stuff and, even after 6 years, I still find myself struggling with scripts.

Just to give you a little background, I have two businesses on one commercial website, each with its own domain name. The original domain has been dormant for quite awhile, but for sentimental reasons I don't want to part with it. It was for my typing/transcription business, which is mostly local anyways. It is my main domain account and is still active, but it's OLD - frames and everything! Now that I have AE I might be able to breathe some life into it - but that will have to come later.

The second domain points to a store in a subdirectory of the first/main domain (would you call this a subdomain with a subdirectory?). I ran into problems with my major vendor - he dropped me like a hot potato without any notice. I had put all my eggs in one basket and *poof* there went my sales on the bulk of my products in one fell swoop. After an unsuccessful attempt to find a new vendor, I scrambled like mad joining affiliate programs that sold the same products. One of them was a major competitor of the one that dumped me and had a nice affiliate program through cj.com. I changed most of my product pages to affiliate links (by hand, I tell you...no database, no dynamically generated site). I needed to fix my store in a hurry since the holidays are quickly approaching and it is my main source of income. All this while we were being threatened by 4 hurricanes in a matter of six weeks. I am starting to get sales through them so it seems to be working, but my site is still messy and needs a lot of work.

Anyhoo, I decided to sell sewing-related books and more products through Amazon.com and found nice reviews about Associate Engine.

The problem I am having is in getting ae.cgi to run in the cgibin. I cannot use the cgibin off the main domain, which is SSL and runs scripts for my orders/shopping cart. What I tried to do was create another cgbin as a subdirectory of my store's subdirectory but I can't seem to point to the ae.cgi in this cgibin.

Here is what I have:
two domains: www.typeright.com and www.therightstitch.com

www.typeright.com's directory structure looks like the following:
/typeright/wwwfp
/typeright/wwwfp/cgibin
/typeright/wwwfp/books

and lots more subdirectories with useless information.

They added the "wwwfp" subdirectory sometime ago, which was a big mess. This would suggest that I use Front Page, but I do not. My home page for typeright.com/index.htm is in the wwwfp subdirectory.

The store where I want to run AE at www.therightstitch.com has a directory structure as follows:

/typeright/wwwfp/therightstitch/index.html
/typeright/wwwfp/therightstitch/images/

the store's current cgi scripts are in /typeright/wwwfp/cgibin/ with the url of https://www#.securedweb.net/typerigh...in/mystore.cgi

I tried to run the ae.cgi from /typeright/wwwfp/therightstitch/cgibin/ but this doesn't work.

For now, I can only get ae.cgi to run from /typeright/wwwfp/therightstitch/, which is the same directory as the home page.

I changed ae.ini virtual directory to/amazon, and I changed the .htaccess file to reads as follows:

RewriteEngine on
RewriteBase /
RewriteRule ^(amazon)$ $1/ [R]
RewriteRule ^(amazon)/(.*)(\.[a-z]+)$ ae.cgi?virtual=$2&virtual.dir=$1 [L]
RewriteRule ^(amazon)/(.*)$ ae.cgi?virtual=$2&virtual.dir=$1 [L]

Any suggestions as to how I can get the ae.cgi script to run from /typeright/wwwfp/therightstitch/cgibin/ ?

The url of the page I am working on is at www.therightstitch.com/c2000.htm

I apologize for the length of this post but I wanted to give as much information as possible.

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

Susan