I have spent a lot of time reading through the very detailed documentation on the Cusimano.com web site. Very thorough and detailed. Good stuff!

I was thinking about implementing one of the mods shown in the Programming FAQ section related to redirecting search engines to amazon.com in order to lighten server loads. I plan to offer most of the products offered on Amazon, so that could be a lot of products!

Few questions related to this...

1) Approximately how many products does Amazon.com currently have on their site? I was thinking it was over 1 million, but was just curious.

2) Would redirecting the search engine spiders to amazon.com effectively eliminate any hope that my site could have search engine rankable product related pages?

In my experimenting, I have already implemented the rewrite mod and virtual directory in order to cover over the cgi-bin script path in the URL's. Now I'm wondering how redirecting the bots to amazon.com would effect the search engine "friendliness" of my site. Seems like it would eliminate the ability to rank any product related pages from my site, but my ignorance of the inner workings of AE (or scripts in general) makes me feel like it's better to ask rather than assume wrong.

3) What is the best way to set up AE so that it is search engine friendly?

I am assuming that having all the product details on my local server would be best for search engine results, but suspect that server loads could be an issue. Not sure if my thoughts on this are accurate. Currently I have been experimenting with most things in AE as default, but have been reading through documentation and implementing different mods (like the rewrite & virtual directory tweak as well as some others).

Thanks,

Ed

HI Ed!

I'm new to this script thing as well ;-)
    Still building my 1st script based site so I have more questions than answers by a long way.

What I am understanding about SEO is you want as many pages as possible each optimized for a different search term never more than 2 maybe 3 on each page (content - content - content). So what comes to mind for me when I read your post is that I would be inclined to build multiple theme based sites so they don't get too huge.
    As far as the scripts go 'I think' the purpose is to easily and quickly build a site pulling the product info from the "HOMESITE".

So I guess what I am saying is your first thought seems right to me. Redirecting unoptimized pages to Amazon would not get good SE results.

I would be interested in comments from other members on this as well. I want to start out on the right foot so to speak ;-)

Marylou

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by browsing:
    2) Would redirecting the search engine spiders to amazon.com effectively eliminate any hope that my site could have search engine rankable product related pages?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you redirect them from category/keyword pages, then you have no product level detail so kiss bye bye. (see below)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    In my experimenting, I have already implemented the rewrite mod and virtual directory in order to cover over the cgi-bin script path in the URL's. Now I'm wondering how redirecting the bots to amazon.com would effect the search engine "friendliness" of my site. Seems like it would eliminate the ability to rank any product related pages from my site, but my ignorance of the inner workings of AE (or scripts in general) makes me feel like it's better to ask rather than assume wrong.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Disguising dynamic URLs is likely to be better from a SEO point of view, but see above re product level.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    I am assuming that having all the product details on my local server would be best for search engine results, but suspect that server loads could be an issue. Not sure if my thoughts on this are accurate.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They are - I got kicked off several shared/virtual hosting services due to server load from this script before I got my own dedicated server(s).

And my (outsourced) tech guys still throw regular fits when they see my server load - difference now is I'm the boss.

Seriously though - producing an amazon clone is probably too 2003 to work now. You need to work the niches or find another angle.

I asked amazon.com how many products they have and their reply was:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>We are unable to provide specific information about the number of products on Amazon.com. The main reason for this is that the Amazon product catalog is so dynamic that any number we give you today will be irrelevant tomorrow. Amazon and its merchant partners are constantly updating, adding, and removing the products listed on Amazon.

With respect to how many products are available via AWS, there are millions! That's as specific as we're able to be at this time. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation
    per: David Cusimano
    Affiliate Tools: Datafeed Merge

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread