Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    We are pleased to announce the release of a new store generator script called audible.pl that is designed to create webpages based on the Audible.com datafeed.

Audible.com (http://www.Audible.com) offers by immediate download approximately 8,000 digital audiobooks, audio magazines, newspapers, and radio programs. Audible.com pays affiliate commissions starting from 12% or $15 depending upon the product and sales. If these types of products are a good match for your website or if you're planning to create a new website for these types of products, we encourage you to use our audible.pl script.

To learn more about audible.pl, visit http://www.c3scripts.com/audible

Yours truly,
    CUSIMANO.COM CORPORATION
    per: David Cusimano
    Affiliate Tools: Datafeed Merge

Really nice work David!

The templates are intuitive, easy to navigate and look like they are pure spider food.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

I'm going to feed the spiders tonite....

Joe
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

http and a telephoto
    Glad to see this finally come to fruition, I heard about it long ago. Please let us know if you are able to develop scripts for other CJ programs! I can suggest a couple
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Why can't you use it loxly?

It's free ... it's a *nix and a C3 script, what more do ya need?
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

http and a telephoto
    I edited my post to remove that reference Haiko. All hooked up now.
    Deborah Carney

http and a telephoto
    Well Dave, never mind about sending me that key file after all. Seems some people can't make up their mind if I would be a good fit for the program or not, even if I have great book dedicated sites and make Amazon a bunch of money. Oh, and they get free traffic from me because if I send people to Amazon from my site, there are non-commissionable Audible links right there for the available Audible titles. Nice touch. Nice way to steal from affiliates.
    Deborah Carney

Debbie,

To clarify your post, just in case some readers think it is me who you are referring to when you say "Nice way to steal from affiliates" -- you are referring to Amazon.com. Specifically, the Amazon.com website itself promotes Audible.com products and links to those products at the Audible.com website but Amazon.com does not pay commission to Amazon.com affiliates for Audible.com sales made via the Amazon.com website. I assume (but have not confirmed) that Amazon.com itself receives commission from Audible.com for Audible.com sales made via the Amazon.com website -- so that's what you mean by "Nice way to steal from affiliates". Amazon.com even promotes the Audible.com products via AWS (Amazon.com Web Services), thus those Audible.com products can also show up via all AWS-based scripts including Associate Engine (FYI, since there currently is no ASIN to ISBN converter, Associate Engine cannot rewrite those particular Amazon.com links to be Audible.com links).

By using the audible.pl script, you can promote Audible.com products on your website. And those products are linked using your cj.com PID (Audible.com is at cj.com). And Audible.com pays commission to you (via cj.com) for Audible.com sales made via your website. So if you do have a books website, then audiobooks would be a reasonable addition to it.

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation

http and a telephoto
    My apologies Dave, your script is great, I didn't mean to make is sound like that was the problem. Please do let me know if you create any others for CJ or Linkshare merchants.
    Deborah Carney

Hi David,

Just downloaded the demo version. It looks great. However I have few of questions:

1 - If I choose the automatic option for datafeeds do I still need to sign up with Audible.com?

2 - If its automatic, it means I do not need to update it other than running audible.pl file and just uploading the html files to the server, right?

3 - Do I have to look for any specific options when I am looking for a webhost?

4 - I can see the amount of effort you have put in to it and its free, how does it work for you?

Questions my sound quite basic but as I am starting off so just need to be sure that I am doing everything right.

Thanks in advance for your help.
    <DT>[size=1][color=navy]"The best measure of a man's honesty isn't his income tax return.[/color][/size]<DT>[size=1][color=navy]It's the zero adjust on his bathroom scale." Arthur C. Clark[/color][/size]</DT>

template set 5 in the distribution uses this code (brackets etc omitted) for sub-category pages to display items in a grid with thumbnails:

cfg grid.columns 3
    page.kids.grid

BTW, this isn't what the demo set 5 does (it has a 2 column list).

Anyway, using that code seems to build a massive grid containing (I suspect) every title in the test build for every sub-category page.

Changing the code to display list or text works correctly, so I don't think it's a problem I've introduced.

Incidental to this - I can't see where the cfg options such as cfg grid.columns and cfg list.width are documented.

ahmar,

1 - You have to signup with Audible.com. They are the merchant paying the commission.

2 - If automatic download of the Audible.com datafeed is enabled (default), then audible.pl will automatically check to see if there is a new datafeed file available and download it before creating HTML pages. You will see in the status/log when a new datafeed is downloaded.

3 - Regarding looking for a website host, if you plan on running audible.pl on the server then you'll need to be able to run cgi-bin perl scripts (ssh/telnet access would be very useful so you can run audible.pl in the background so it cannot be interrupted accidentally). If you plan on running audible.pl on your Windows PC and then uploading the created HTML pages, then any host will do. In either case, you'll need about 250MB of disk space on the web server to host the created HTML pages (total size varies depending upon which template set you use and if you use the htmlgz.pl decompressor script).

4 - We have an agreement with Audible.com. The commission rate that Audible.com pays to you is not affected. All your links generated by the script have your cj.com PID in them.

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation

CrazyGuy,

The audible-template/set5/cats.html file contains:

&lt;!--if page.type.main--&gt;
    &lt;!--cfg list.width 2--&gt;
    &lt;!--page.kids--&gt;
    &lt;!--else--&gt;
    &lt;!--cfg grid.columns 3--&gt;
    &lt;!--page.kids.grid--&gt;&lt;BR&gt;
    &lt;!--endif--&gt;

If the page currently being generated is a main category page (page.type.main would be true) then the kids (i.e.: sub-categories) are shown in a text list that is 2 columns wide. Otherwise, the page currently being generated is a sub-category page so the kids (i.e.: products) are shown in a 3-column grid of thumbnails. Lists/grids do not break up into multiple index pages -- so on a sub-category page you will see all products in that sub-category.

So, I'm not sure what you mean by "this isn't what the demo set 5 does (it has a 2 column list)." As far as I can see at http://www.myaudiobooks.com/set5/arts-leisure/ and http://www.myaudiobooks.com/set5/arts-leisure/arts/ it is working properly. If necessary, please clarify or supply sample URL.

The cfg directive is documented at http://www.c3scripts.com/audible/docs.html#directives -- it is used to override/define configuration variables inside a template.

The grid.columns and list.width are not yet documented but they do appear in the templates where they are applicable. The list.width specifies how many columns to use in a bulleted text list -- range is 1 to 3. The grid.columns specifies how many columns to use in a product thumbnail grid -- range is 1 to 6.

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation

This is doing my head in.

First, (for the record) when I looked at http://www.myaudiobooks.com/set5/anything earlier, I was getting 2-col bullet list on main cats and 2 colum text list on sub cats

Whatever - it's doing what you say now - 2 col bullet + 3 col grid. Maybe I was confused before.

However - I'm looking now at http://www.myaudiobooks.com/set5/bus...les/index.html
    and it's a humungous 3 col grid including such "sales" titles as:
    Bob Dylan: A Tribute (3 times)
    A Life of Dante
    Picasso: Creator and Destroyer
    Lives of the Artists
    Christina Aguilera: The Unauthorized Audio Biography...

... you get the idea.

Which is exactly the problem I had when trying to use a grid on sub-cats.

My online /set5/ directory was old. I just rebuilt it and I see what you mean.

When the script went to build a grid, it didn't clear the old grid from memory so the entries in the grid kept accumulating from previous pages.

audible.pl v4.11.25 fixes this bug. Get it at the same download URL/username/password.

Thanks.

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation

Thanks David for your reply.

I am already Audible.com affiliate so I guess I have to just provide you with the CJ ID for the key. I will pm you with the details.

Thanks again.
    <DT>[size=1][color=navy]"The best measure of a man's honesty isn't his income tax return.[/color][/size]<DT>[size=1][color=navy]It's the zero adjust on his bathroom scale." Arthur C. Clark[/color][/size]</DT>

Use the key request form at
    http://www.c3scripts.com/audible/key

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation

Hi David,

Need some advice, sent yo a PM.

Thanks

Hi David,

Whats a normal average time to upload all the html pages generated through the audible script? I think its around 21k pages.

Its taking me bit too long so just wanted to be sure if I am doing everything right. I am using cuteftp.

For private support, please use the support form (http://www.c3scripts.com/support) rather than PM's.

Uploading 21,000 files will probably take at least 24 hours (depends upon your connection speed). If you have telnet/ssh access, you could zip all the create html files into a .zip file (use WinZip or equivalent Zip compression software) and upload that one .zip file to your server. Then unzip it on the server using the "unzip FILENAME" command (assuming that the unzip command is installed). If you don't have telnet/ssh, then ask your hosting company if they would unzip the file for you. You would upload the .zip file (using BINARY ftp mode!) to the directory where you want it to be unpacked (e.g.: your website's root directory).

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation

Thanks David, now I feel better as it did take me almost 24hrs. I dont have the telnet support so I might ask my host if they can help to unzip the files.

Thanks again.

Having trouble with the gzip version
    I have installed .htaccess correctly and the test file works and so do any of the index.shtml.gz files if I call them directly from the browser. However, the links in the navigation bar are calling .html (or .shtml) files, and the server is not interpreting the request by unzipping the .gz files.

I have temporarily built the site without gzip but I can't afford to use 400 MB on my server in the long run.

Another problem:

My script is in the D drive but for space reasons I wanted to use c:\foo as the write.dir. The script ignores this and proceeds to build an html directory below the script.

Any ideas?

Fill in the support form (http://www.c3scripts.com/support) and let me know your website URL and also include your entire .htaccess file.

You say that the test file works. Did you access it at /test.html or at /test.html.gz ? It is the /test.html URL that would indicate that htmlgz.pl is working properly. FYI, when working properly, accesses to .html URL's (that have .html.gz files on disk) are redirected via mod_rewrite (RewriteRule's in .htaccess) to /cgi-bin/htmlgz.pl and htmlgz.pl uncompresses the .html.gz file (into memory) and outputs it to the user.

What happens when .html URL's (not .html.gz URL's) are accessed? Do you get a 404 File Not Found error? Or a 500 Internal Server error? Something else?

Are you using a linux/unix server or a Windows server? Windows servers do not come with mod_rewrite. It is a 3rd-party add-on. Thus, htmlgz.pl will not work on a Windows server unless you've added mod_rewrite support.

The links in the navbar should be to .html (or .shtml if you've changed the write.fn.ext configuration variable). To the outside world, it looks like your server has .html files. It is .htaccess and htmlgz.pl that work together to transparently serve up the .html.gz files based on the .html URL's. The outside world should not be accessing .html.gz URL's.

What is the write.dir configuration variable set to? Set it to "c:\foo" (include the quotation marks) or try "c:/foo" (yes, a forward slash) --- change "foo" to the directory name you want to use. Note: Edit audible.ini using a plain text editor such as Windows Notepad (if you use an editor such as Word, binary characters may be introduced into the file that audible.pl cannot recognize).

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation

Affiliate/AM Moonlighter dflsports's Avatar
    Script looks great.

So you do not need, ssh/telnet? I'm not perl wiz but have used a number of perl scripts.

Can I just unzip the files you provide locally and then ftp to the cgi-bin then use the default configuration and the audible feed is automatically downloaded to my server space. But in order to make the static pages I have to use telnet to run the script?

Arghhh, my brain hurts

The audible.pl script is a "run-once" script. You run it and it creates about 20,000+ static HTML files. Depending upon the speed of your server or Windows PC, the time to complete that task various. When I run audible.pl on my linux server, it takes about 2.5 hours.

The audible.pl script is not a dynamic "on-the-fly" script like our Associate Engine script.

If you have telnet/ssh access, you can unzip the .zip file on your Windows PC and upload the program/template files to your server (or gunzip the .tar.gz file on your linux/unix server), login to telnet/ssh, and run audible.pl

If you do not have telnet/ssh access, you can unzip the .zip file on your Windows PC, run audible.pl locally. After audible.pl finishes, FTP upload the 20,000+ HTML files that were created. To run perl scripts on your Windows PC, you need to first install ActivePerl (free from the 3rd-party ActiveState.com).

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast