I am setting up the AllPosters store for the first time, but I'm noticing a bizarre repeating, and have no idea what is causing it.

http://posters.promotion-software.com/

Now, when you click on a page like Art for Children, http://posters.promotion-software.com/art-for-children/

You get:

Winnie The Pooh - Autumn Leaves
    Art Print
    28 in. x 20 in.

Winnie The Pooh - Autumn Leaves
    Art Print
    28 in. x 20 in.

Goodnight Moon
    Art Print
    21 in. x 15 in.

Goodnight Moon
    Art Print
    21 in. x 15 in.

And this is happening on all of the pages...

Any ideas why the script is repeating itself, and how I can fix it?

http and a telephoto
    Looks like that is the only category doing it, I only check the animal sections on my pages so didn't notice it before. Looks like repeated data is in the datafeed.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

hmmmm, i was sure i saw it in other categories too, but i must have been seeing things... yowsers, now, hopefully there will be an AllPosters script based on DySE shortly... ;-)

downloading the newest version of the script to see if that fixes the problem...

You'll still find quite a bit of duplication in the latest script. David said he will look at a filter in the next version.

There are doubles in the datafeed files from allposters.com. In the next version, I will add a filter to remove duplicates.

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation
    per: David Cusimano

Thanks ;-)

FYI, a version of allposters.pl based on DySE is in development. (DySE = Dynamic Store Engine(tm)).

DySE::AllPosters will provide most of the standard functionality of DySE; however, it will not download the datafeed from AllPosters.com. A pre-built DySE products database file data.db (580 MB; 310,000 products) will be included with the script.

Compared to allposters.pl, the RAM requirements are significantly less (e.g.: 10 MB of RAM used). The time to run the DySE::AllPosters script is less than 1 minute; the most time will be for you to upload the database file data.db (580 MB). Note: If you have the ability to unzip a .zip file on your server, you can save time by instead uploading the smaller data.zip file (190 MB) and unzipping it online to get data.db.

It is not possible for DySE::AllPosters to download and use the raw datafeed .zip file directly from AllPosters.com. Not only are the RAM/disk/CPU/time requirements to process the raw datafeed far beyond what the vast majority of web servers can provide, the AllPosters.com datafeed also typically contains many errors that require manual tweaking by us to fix. The solution is for us to provide a pre-built data.db file.

Before the DySE::AllPosters script can be released, some technical details still need to be worked out, such as a way to redirect the old allposters.pl-style filename URL's to DySE-style filename URL's by using either RewriteRule's or a special cgi-bin/moved.pl script (or you could just use a general ErrorDocument 404 / statement in your .htaccess file as a "catch all" redirect).

We anticipate releasing this DySE::AllPosters script before mid-June, 2005. A bulletin will be emailed out when it is released.

BTW, we currently have scripts based on DySE for Calendars.com, GenericGifts.com, and InstrumentPro.com. More coming.

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation
    per: David Cusimano

So we will still be dependant upon you and your lack of datafeed updates - Why bother? There are others using the feeds with no issues, why can't you build a script to use the feed we can download?

Time to move on and sign up a new account and use one of the other solutions. Waiting 3-6 months for you to update the datafeed is just not worth it. I've tried to be patient with this whole thing - since you are the reason why I even started using datafeeds to begin with and were the reason for my original successes in affiliate marketing but you are hurting my business severely now with your current update schedule on this feed.
    Heidi
    "Happy are those who dream dreams and are willing to pay the price to make them come true"

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread