ABW Ambassador
    I'm looking for a script that would enable people to fill out a form, insert those values into text on a html page, which they would then print...It's probably closest to something like "Mad Libs"...
    I've already searched high & low, so no google links please [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

FreeCallz.com - Free and cheap phone services.

I don't know what Mad Libs is, - if you point me in the right direction I'll take a look - but if all you want to do is take form variables and output them into an HTML page, you could very easily write something like this yourself from scratch. Even if you've never done scripting this would be easy to learn to do as it's very basic.

{

"Laziness, Impatience, Hubris. Pick any three" ~ YAPC 19100

ABW Ambassador
    I'd like to give this a try...know any good tutorials?
    I will be using this on hundreds of forms on hundreds of pages...Can you think of a way to avoid having hundreds of scripts? The values they enter on each script will be inserted into the body of a corresponding "letter" that should be created on the fly...but the contents of the "letters" will be different for every case..specific to the form they used.
    Sorry if this is oversimplified or vague...

Actually I think I have a pretty good idea what you want to do now. You could avoid hundreds of separate scripts if you use it in conjunction with a database. The letters can be stored in fields in the database, then when the user submits the form, the script pulls the appropriate letter from the DB, plugs in the form variables, and outputs the customized letter to the screen where the user can print it.

That would be more complex, but IMHO still not that difficult and you might want to give it a go yourself.

Tutorials - depends on what you want to do it in. If you were going to do itin PHP/MySQL; just do a search on Google or at PHP Builder and you should come up with some good ones.

{

"Laziness, Impatience, Hubris. Pick any three" ~ YAPC 19100

Is anyone still interested in such a script? I got one, just don't want to take the time to go through my archive if noone needs it.

-- Less is more --

ABW Ambassador
    I am interested, but I just started thinking about using PDF files instead...let me see what people think about that first.

My (limited) experience with PDFs is that they are very difficult to produce on the fly. Each piece of text has to be positioned on the page by x/y coordinates and there seems to be no concept of templates etc.

...oh, and that's if you're using "tools" - can't imagine what it's like to do it the hard way [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

It doesn't sound like what you want to do is massively complex (though the devil is in the detail) - you might even be able to do it with flat files which keeps it even more manageable as a learning project.

IMHO!

Stewart Hutton | Are you Crazy?

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread