ABW Ambassador
    I have seen a few affiliate sites that use a "Double Redirecting Script" for special offers...It takes you to the a specic url then it takes you to the affiliate url, thereby planting a cookie in the users browser from your site.

Anyone know where to get such a script?

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Not quite sure what you are talking about here. Could you give an example. But probably what you are seeing are sites that are database driven and are using cgi, php, asp, etc to call up the links.

Keep Your Hands Off My Cookies

ABW Ambassador
    For example, Dell Small Business has unique offers that require a visitor to go directly to a specific url to receive a discount...I have seen some affiliates direct a visitor twice...1st to the link with their affiliate ID in it and second to the dell small business url with the discount...thereby giving themselves the credit for the sale if it occurs, which would otherwise not be possible...

Survey Man:

I use a variant of this technique on one merchant.
    I use a modified version of air cookies:
    Air Cookies
    The merchant I'm using it on requires that the visitors lands at a special page in order to activate CJ tags on checkout. That page sets a session variable on the visitor's browser to let the shopping system "know" that CJ tags should be used at checkout.

The problem is that the required landing page is killing my sales.

So I use Air Cookies to set the CJ cookie on the visitor's browser (and activate the CJ tracking session variable), and when that's done, I send the visitor directly to a page that converts.

The affiliate manager of that merchant has e-mailed me more than once, obviously quite confused over how I'm able to convert the visitors.

At +$60 commish per sale, the extra hassle was worth it.

Good Find OveB!

On merchant-specific sites, I'll use this to plant a cookie on every visitor just in case they don't click thru and subsequently find the merchant themselves.

Thanks

Are you Crazy?

ABW Ambassador
    Warning - might want to disable popups before hitting that Air page...

Looks good though.. may give it a try

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>The affiliate manager of that merchant has e-mailed me more than once, obviously quite confused over how I'm able to convert the visitors. Big Grin<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Interesting. Its almost as if the landing page is designed to not convert?

--
    The Newer Nicer Joseph

ABW Ambassador
    Ugh. OH.
    I just realized that the annoying popunder is exactly what set the cookie. damn.

I dont know that I want to subject my visitors to that crap...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Demo: You just had one! Did you notice? It'll only work once unless you manually delete your browser's cookies and refresh this page. The cookie it set was from sitechex.com.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    YES I DID...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Interesting. Its almost as if the landing page is designed to not convert? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Exactly! And we can't have that when the commish is +$60, can we? The landing page makes it real hard for my visitors to navigate to the products that give me the fat commish.

I find the popunder that closes after a few seconds unobtrusive. And convertion rates went through the roof, so. I just did what I had to do.

ABW Ambassador
    This is the idea I am looking for...Is it possible to make the pop-under disappear quicker though? Like within a second or two?

Also I am wondering if there is a way to just make it do its magic in the background without any pop-up...just a short wait...

You must give the popunder time to set the cookies (and session variables if needed) before you close it. But yes, you can adjust the timer in the script to your liking. PM me for a working example on how I've done it.

ABW Ambassador
    Where is the PM button on this new version of the board???? Gee, I cannot fine it!

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    You can click OveB's name above his avatar for a menu and a link for private topic is there.

Keep Your Hands Off My Cookies

Hello OveB,

We don't blame you at all. In fact, we have been usinge the same tactic on a few of our products for the very reason you mentioned.

Happy New Year.

DesignerWiz.com Team
    http://DesignerWiz.com

ABW Ambassador
    OveB good point.. thanks again for the pointer to the script!

--
    The Newer Nicer Joseph

Anyone else tried this yet?

In my testing, I can't exert any control over the size or position of the popup window, and it pops over rather than under.

I have virtually no javascript knowledge, but looking at the code, I can't even see how size and position are actually communicated to the script.

Regarding popping over, I'm wondering if this is something to do with IE6 or XP, as I just had another experience where supplied code for popups and popunders both appeared on top.

There is a big difference between what I hoped for (50 x 50 pixel window in the middle of the screen under the browser window) and what I've got (great big window over the top of the active browser window).

Are you Crazy?

After some PM with OveB, we're agreed there is an error in the script with regards to size and position. I think the resulting syntax error is what makes it default to popping over in a standard size.

Someone can probably tidy this up, but OveB's suggestion (works for me) is to hardcode the size and position in the line that sets the other parameters. (Apologies for the long line prob mess up this page's formatting).

var p = 'scrollbars=no,resizable=no,toolbar=no,menubar=yes,status=no,location=no,left=200,top=100,height=50,width=50';

Are you Crazy?

hidden frames, hmm...

kpuc

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread