ABW Ambassador
    I just purchased my first vBulletin license and will be setting it up this weekend. I have no experience w/ MySQL, but that's ready to go... So, I guess what I'm asking is, what am I in for? and what's it like working w/ MySQL?
    Thanks!
    -E

Supras | Celicas

lots of scripts (hopefully vbulletin) will set up the mysql tables on their own. Hopefuly you only have to tell it where mysql is and give it permissions.

Let Fear Be Far from All

I don't think you'll get any problems. Everything is explained in the install docs. It should be up and running a couple of minutes after you've uploaded it. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

And they're very helpful on the support forum, if you goof it up somehow. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Good luck!

ive been using vb for more than a year now and it is very easy to install

you simply upload it and then run the install file, add the php/mysql details that you would enter for any datatbase and hey pressto

if your having problems with it though, please drop me an email and ill do my best to help out

| System 0 | Affiliate-Talk | Affiliate-Review | WebSiteHostingList | [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    cool...thanks everyone... I'm at my j*b right now...bought it on my first break, verified that it went through when I went home for lunch...taking my second break now & will attempt the install tonight...if not, I have all weekend [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Supras | Celicas

ABW Ambassador
    WOW! I don't think they could have made that any easier to set up...even w/ absolutely no experience w/ PHP [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    (sadly, I didn't even know it was only available in PHP, so I had a little scare...)

But, it's up, it's workin'...I'm just having problems setting permissions for private forums. How do I go about setting a forum so that only certain user groups can see it or enter it?
    I've gone through the Forum Permissions and set it so certain user groups are supposedly unable to view it and post, but I have a username set to one of those groups & I can still get into the forum...
    What I was hoping for, like w/ Ikonboard, is that the forum will only be visible for the user groups allowed. Those not allowed doesn't even know it exists...can I do anything like that w/ vBulletin?
    Thanks!
    -E

Supras | Celicas

ABW Ambassador
    k, I think I got it workin' the way I want...I think the problem was that it kept logging me in as an admin because I was in the admin section at the same time, so I was able to see all of the private forums...

Supras | Celicas

what i do when testing things out is have dummy username for testing

stay logged in as admin and change the user group of the username to
    super moderator
    and any other user group you have

then keep signed in as admin on your browser but open up a different browser so that cookies etc will be different - so if your logged in as admin in IE, open up mozilla and view yor forum as a guest, and then log in with your test name in each user group to see if its working

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

| System 0 | Affiliate-Talk | Affiliate-Review | Affiliate-Directory |- The Home of Affiliation [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Celicaphile:
    WOW! I don't think they could have made that any easier to set up...even w/ absolutely no experience w/ PHP
    (sadly, I didn't even know it was only available in PHP, so I had a little scare...)

But, it's up, it's workin'...I'm just having problems setting permissions for private forums. How do I go about setting a forum so that only certain user groups can see it or enter it?
    I've gone through the Forum Permissions and set it so certain user groups are supposedly unable to view it and post, but I have a username set to one of those groups & I can still get into the forum...
    What I was hoping for, like w/ Ikonboard, is that the forum will only be visible for the user groups allowed. Those not allowed doesn't even know it exists...can I do anything like that w/ vBulletin?
    Thanks!
    -E

http://www.suprazone.com | http://www.toyotacelicas.com<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I see both your forums are powered by Ikonboard....

-ManagerJosh

ABW Ambassador
    I'm using vBulletin on a new site & will hopefully convert both of the ones you saw above to vBulletin as soon as I can afford it
    Ikonboard has been ignoring my support tickets for months now...that has got to be the biggest joke of a company ever! First they delete the database on one site and didn't tell me. Then they barely get it back up & it's nowhere close to 100% corrected, but at least it's working... I can't wait to switch 'em over!

FreeCallz.com

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread