Hello -

I have taken a PHP tutorial, and am well on my way to learning it. I run an affiliate website, and was wondering how most experience affiliates use PHP?

I was thinking about creating a database of all of my merchant product links, the tracking URL, product description, maybe even price, etc - and then the PHP will select these things onto the page. So in order to change products, I just need to change the database entries...

Is this one of the main uses for PHP in the affiliate marketing world? Also, I'd imagine, click tracking on your outbound links?

Can anyone give me some insight on your uses of PHP?

Last question : do search engine bots have a problem with being sent to .php pages when they are spidering a site? Does this hurt in the rankigs?

Thanks,

Danski

Welcome to the PHP world. I use php for almost anything I can think of. From doing what you mention above to writing games. I also use it to handle datafeeds.

Let your imagination guide you and then go further.

As for search engines, this has been hammered to death. There is nothing wrong with using php pages or using query strings in the url. I have some sites that have very high rankings that are 100% pure php.

Chris

----------------------------
    Scriptsforyoursite.com - Featuring datafeed import scripts for Art.com, Backcountry Store, Coldwater Creek, Mondera.com and many more.....

Hey Chris -

Thanks for the feedback...I was curious about a couple of more things.

When you say 'handle datafeeds' - let me tell you what that means to me, then you can correct me if I am wrong :

Datafeeds can come in different forms, for example, I can log into an FTP site of certain merchants, download their "datafeed" file, probably in an Excel sheet. Is it also possible that datafeeds can be automatically entered into my ODBC database on my webserver? If so, would this be like an HTTP post to my .PHP page or something? Can you give a quick example of the different ways datafeeds can be handled with .PHP?

Also, last question - say I have my ODBC database on my web server, and my PHP pages are hitting it to bring up merchant urls and product descriptions and such...what are the different methods I can use to update this database (either Excel data feeds, or just my manually entering some detail text for products etc into the spreadsheet for import into the DB)? Would I create some sort of a .PHP page form that I can cut and paste into?

Man, I know these are some deep questions - well maybe not that deep - but any insight you can give would be excellent. I am just trying to point myself in the right direction on PHP here...

Thanks alot,

Dan

No problem. Just to clarify, most merchants do not offer the feed in an excel format. They offer it in a csv format that excel can read and import.

If that is what you were refering to, then yes, you can do that. I can't really give you any examples of how to do this without giving up my program code that I sell on my website.

There is no reason to paste the information into a php page. If you are creative enough, you can figure out how to download, unzip, and import the datafeed directly into your database right on your server like my scripts currently do.

Chris

----------------------------
    Scriptsforyoursite.com - Featuring datafeed import scripts for Art.com, Backcountry Store, Coldwater Creek, Mondera.com and many more.....

Chris -

Thanks...actually, after my last post, I had a venture to scriptsforyoursite.com and read about how it works. It all makes sense now - I thought there was possibly some XML posting capabilities going on, but it looks like not yet (i.e. merchants XML posting catalogs over HTTP to technically enabled affiliates).

Your scripts are sweet - if and when I ever offer alot of products from one of those merchants, you can bet I'll spend a little $ to save a bunch of time.

Thanks man.

Dan

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread