I was going to set up a datafeed affiliate site and I was wondering what scripting language would be more appropriate, PHP or PERL? What would look better to the search engine? What is easier to work with?

Thanks.

ABW Ambassador
    I think that most people find php easier to work with. Search engines don't care.

Chet

After I have apache installed on my machine, how do I install PHP?

Here are some good step by step instructions on how to install PHP on Apache.

http://www.php.net/manual/en/install.apache.php

Chris

----------------------------
    Scriptsforyoursite.com - Featuring datafeed import scripts for Backcountry Store, Coldwater Creek, Mondera.com and many more.....

ABW Ambassador
    If you are running windows Win9x, i would suggest downloading the php install that also installs mysql and works with personal web server.

In ms's wisdom, they yanked personal webserver out of XP, so then you will need to install apache ans noted above.

Chet

Edwards Online Workshops
    This is a good site to show you how to setup apache, php and sql. Very easy for dummies like me. I have it running on Win2000. Still have a problem getting it all going on my win98 laptop.
    Using Dreamweaver MX to create the PHP pages.
    You can get a 30 day trial download.

No doubt, PHP is better than Perl. It is very easy to learn it.

Oskars
    www.InternetMarketing.lv

ABW Ambassador
    Between those two, php.

Otherwise python...

----
    -JM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Oskars:
    No doubt, PHP is better than Perl. It is very easy to learn it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No doubt Oskars hasn't used Perl very much... PHP, probably is better for the specific use you described, unless you need to do a lot of manipulation of the data feed (changing, filtering, splicing fields), or you have non-web based needs for the data.

g

There are only 10 kinds of people that get binary, those that do and those that don't.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>There are only 10 kinds of people that get binary, those that do and those that don't.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

php or perl? Which one do you know?

I started with Perl but since experimenting with php I have to say I am a convert, it is sooo easy especially passing paramaters when using scripts like amazon.pl and some other datafeeeds.

'I am not young enough to know everything.'
    - Oscar Wilde

PHP is better (read easier) for beginners while Perl is a more mature language with more capabilities (especially data manipulation like gwhite said) and much better support (try to find one tenth of the many modules for Perl in PHP community...) yet harder to learn.

If you know both program in the one you enjoy most. I hardly ever touch PHP since I just LOVE programming in Perl .

Python is a great one too yes.

YOURsoft affiliate software
    Join YOURsoft "affiliate program for affiliate software"!

Could anybody tell me what is a really good editor for PHP.

Thanks!

Just to show how and when Perl can be extremely useful:

I just needed to process a 1.2Mb text file - line by line, each line containing information separated by tabs - and enter all that info in a MySQL database in a different order as it was in the text file. It took the Perl script less then a second ... try doing that with PHP

vi

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by awstewar:
    Could anybody tell me what is a really good editor for PHP.

Thanks!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

oh, and perl is better.

However, that is only cuz I know it better than PHP. PHP is easier to learn, as the others have said, but it is not as "featureful" as Perl. Plus, if you spend the time to learn Perl, PHP will be easy. They are quite similar.

If you just want to put your datafeeds into a mysql database and pull up information, PHP is probably better.

I have one web site where I use some perl scripts to put the data into the database, but the I use PHP on the front end. PHP is faster than CGI too.

But, after all this, if your goal is to make a lot of money and you have little interest in programming itself, it is best to hire somebody. It will cost you a lot less time. I figured I'd learn it all "just in case" I'd ever have to get a job again. At least I'd have some "real" skills.

can we please stop calling Perl, CGI. They aren't the same. I can write Perl programs that have nothing to do with the web, or uses ASP, or SOAP. CGI (Common Gateway Interface) is a protocol. I can write CGI scripts in C, JAVA, and most other developed languages (including Perl). So quit calling Perl CGI.

g

There are only 10 kinds of people that get binary, those that do and those that don't.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gwhite:
    can we please stop calling Perl, CGI. They aren't the same.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very true g, but since the vast majority of CGI scripts available for WWW usage are written in Perl most people when talking about CGI actually refer to Perl which is of course wrong, but we have to live with it

Even the pros do it sometimes, because if they start talking to customers about "Perl" they go "Huh? I though this is a CGI script?" or "We don't have Perl supported on the server, just PHP and CGI".

Long live Perl

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    &gt;No doubt, PHP is better than Perl.

Excuse me?

But anyway, I've seen incidents where hosting providers have disabled the PHP module in error and all their custoemrs PHP scripts have been sent out to browsers as plain text (including passwords in some cases).

I'll stick with 6 lines of PERL code, thank you.

Jimmy James Inc. fan club membership # 3312

I suppose they both have their ups and downs, but I prefer to use PHP just because it was easier to learn (partly because I already had some PERL background) and because in general it does execute faster than PERL.

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread