Animal Lover
    I am trying to get this to work but for some reason, it's not doing what I want it to do...say if the row contains text in that particular column searched, I want it to print out the text, but if it's blank, then to dish out 'not applicable'...it's for a jewelry feed...so I'm trying to get it to print out the 'Stone' if it's present, but to print out 'not applicable' if that is blank...what I'm getting is that it prints out the first section regardless...so I get the output all the time as :

Stone :

This is the script :

if ($Stone<>' ')
    echo "Stone : ".$Stone."</p>";
    elseif ($Stone ==' ')
    echo "Stone : Not applicable</p>";

Oscar
    My DataFeed Scripts - php datafeed scripts for your site
    Shareasale datafeed scripts - to display Shareasale datafeeds
    Linkshare datafeed scripts - for multiple Linkshare merchants

Just off the top your missing the {} in your if statment.

Try this:

if ($Stone<>' '){
    elseif ($Stone ==' ')
    }

Hope this helps, I am kinda new to PHP but learning fast.

Doug
    Thanks,
    Doug

The if and else statements need their own brackets. You may alo want to use an 'else' instead of an 'elseif'.

if ($Stone<>' '){
    }elseif ($Stone ==' '){
    }

I kinda though that too but wasn't too sure. Like aI said I am still learning my self but I knew brackets were missing.
    Thanks,
    Doug

Animal Lover
    Ahhh....thanks...yes learning php is kinda fun, it's powerful stuff - but as with all coding, it can get frustrating and when you keep getting that parse error coming up, it's like 'ARGGHHHH!'

Oscar

my favorite parse errors are forgetting the ; at the end or something pertaining to concatenation depending if I'm using accumulation or echo

Did the brackets fix it? I sometimes have problems with NULL or empty values and using = or == which I still haven't figured out completely so I just try every combination until something works. (I know what = and == are.. detecting the empty value is the part which doesn't work 100% of the time)

ABW Ambassador
    if (!empty($Stone)){

} else {

}

Me learning too.

Pete: Does that mean look for $stone, if variable is not null, display it and if null display Not applicable?

Animal Lover
    O Pete - you're the guru! The brackets didn't quite fix it...and the elseif had to go in if I was going to put in the conditional clause but it would work if I took it out (ie use the else only like what Pete's got)...

Pete's solution was way simpler and I would've used it if I had read this earlier but this seemed to work too...

if (!$Stone){
    echo "Stone : Not applicable"</p>";
    }elseif ($Stone <>' '){
    }

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Pete: Does that mean look for $stone, if variable is not null, display it and if null display Not applicable?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think I can answer that...yes...what Pete's done and what I was trying to do was to do a query and if there's nothing in that particular string column ie in this case no stone specified in that column (blank) then to return the text 'Not applicable' but if there's something there then to print out the relevant stone.

Oscar

ABW Ambassador
    Yes.

This may not be 'technically' correct, but it works for me.

You can use

if (!$Stone) {
    if (!isset($Stone)) {
    if (!empty($Stone)) {

I'm sure there are differences between the above which the hardcore PHP'ers will no doubt pick me up on, but they should all work.

My preference is for the following. IMO it makes it easier to read 6 months down the track.

if (empty($Stone)) {

echo "Not applicable";

} else {

echo $Stone;

}

Also, != is the preferred method of "Not equal to", not &lt;&gt; (although I do remember using &lt;&gt; back in the C64 days)

[added]
    From http://www.php.net/empty .
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>empty() returns FALSE if var has a non-empty and non-zero value. In otherwords, "", 0, "0", NULL, FALSE, array(), var $var;, and objects with empty properties, are all considered empty. TRUE is returned if var is empty. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    So there are differences between ISSET and EMPTY. Make sure you choose the correct one you need. (ie, if a 0 result should return as 0 or as empty)

Does anyone use:

$_REQUEST["stone"]

I think this looks for $stone in the URL as opposed to just leaving it simply as $stone. I ran into this problem when looking for an URL variable but it was also in the cookie, had to differentiate the two.

ABW Ambassador
    You definition of $_request is incorrect. (see http://www.php.net/variables.predefined )

You should specify if you want $_GET['stone'] or $_COOKIE['stone'] to get the different values.

Thanks Pete.

Still not 100% on this, sorry buddy, I am not good with codes. So...

$_COOKIE['stone'] (retrieves cookies value)

$_request retrieves anything via url or cookie?

And what is $_GET

TIA Pete!

The $_GET global variable specifically looks for items passed using the GET method, either through a form using method="GET" or passing using url encoding directly (page.php?var=value).

The $_POST global variable looks for values passed via the &lt;form method="POST"&gt; mechanism.

$_COOKIE via cookies.

$_REQUEST looks in all three spots, GET, POST, and COOKIE.
    “An adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is an adventure wrongly considered.” - G.K. Chesterton

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FFoc:
    $_REQUEST looks in all three spots, GET, POST, and COOKIE. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    ahh I see! That make sense. So it would be a bad idea to use $_REQUEST just in case a cookie varible and an URL variable are identical. This would "break" the system. Am I right in thinking this?

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ian @ eyiproducts.com:
    So it would be a bad idea to use $_REQUEST just in case a cookie varible and an URL variable are identical. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    There is an order you can select to determine which method has priority.

I would think it would be more of a security problem. Imagine you are looking for a $_COOKIE value. All someone has to do is append that value to the cookie name as a $_GET variable, and it's passed.

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread