Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    After CJ came back up tonight I noticed the following announcement. It sounds like they are getting ready to spider our accounts again (as Todd said they would notify us next time). Is this, I wonder, their way of notifying us?

Do you think they could have made this announcment any more technical? How on earth do people who don't have a good grasp of the english language make heads or tails of this. I can barely understand what they are trying to tell me.

quote:
    Network Quality Notice
    Recently the network quality team at Commission Junction enhanced the use of automated tools and processes to better support our ongoing efforts to maintain and grow a strong network of choice clients. An upgrade has been made to the network quality utility used by the team to regularly search publisher Web sites that are associated with the Commission Junction network to help monitor their compliance with the Publisher Service Agreement. Commission Junction notifies clients that are not in compliance so they can make the necessary changes.

[see rest of message at CJ]

Ron - 7 Days A Week Marketing
    Every day is a chance to learn something new and an opportunity to teach others.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Hmm, lessee... (Their words are in italics. My translation is in regular type.)

Recently the network quality team at Commission Junction enhanced the use of automated tools and processes to better support our ongoing efforts to maintain and grow a strong network of choice clients.

We messed with a bunch of stuff. We also made more programs to automate things, to lessen having to do things by hand.

An upgrade has been made to the network quality utility used by the team to regularly search publisher Web sites

We think we fixed that SPIDER...

that are associated with the Commission Junction network to help monitor their compliance with the Publisher Service Agreement.

That is our automated policeman.

Commission Junction notifies clients that are not in compliance so they can make the necessary changes.

If we find anything on your site(s) with the Spider that we don't think is on the up-and-up, you'll get a notice to change it.

That's not the standard English language they're using. It's a combo consisting of Techie and Sales.

~Revenue is King

[Edited to improve translation of first paragraph and to add closing comment]

[This message was edited by Leader on May 13, 2003 at 10:36 PM.]

ABW Ambassador
    May be, just may be, this could be an action to combat parasite-ware. That would be great!

Fer

quote:
    Originally posted by Leader:
    If we find anything on your site(s) with the Spider that we don't think is on the up-and-up, you'll get a notice to change it.

60 days?

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    - - - - -
    60 days?
    - - - - -

I'm sure that depends on which site is the culprit. I'd probably get booted without a by-your-leavem, but the larger predatory type sites would probably get gentle reminders, and a tea-time invite.

I drank what??! -Socrates

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    May be, just may be, this could be an action to combat parasite-ware.

Yup and "chicken little" could be falling from the sky too.

"The network quality utility will visit, on a daily basis, all registered sites and all pages that have generated traffic within the past 30 days."

CJ, Really neccessary to do this daily!?

I think one of the reasons behind this is the "invalid links generating traffic report"? Which, I am getting the impression no longer is limited to deactivated advertisers? States at top of report: "Listed below are links that have generated traffic, but no income for your program between..." In which CJ has listed both deactivated & active advertiser links. Which are mostly links from "Product Catalog 1" which even if we wanted to remove the links we wouldn't know which ones!

Tami

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    if you find that you are experiencing too high a load on your site, login to your Commission Junction account at www.cj.com and click on the "Support" tab at the top of the Account Manager to notify client services via "Ask a Question."

F*ck that!.. I'll ban any spider that doesn't adhere to robots.txt standards OR places any type of load above normal browsing before I go through all the sh*t about 'asking a question'.

Well I found this interesting:
    quote:
    1. What does the network quality utility do?
    The network quality utility tool searches each publisher Web site that is registered in the Commission Junction network that generates traffic to monitor compliance to the Publisher Service Agreement, specifically, Sections 1 and/or 2.2. Additionally, searches are made to monitor continued compliance to advertisers' special terms and conditions.

In section 2.2 it says
    quote:
    You shall not cause any Transactions to be made that are not in good faith, including, but not limited to, using any device, program, robot, Iframes, hidden frames, redirects or clicking on Links that You place to the Advertiser.

Seems that will take care of some of the tricky stuff I've seen out there lately....

Abigail

[This message was edited by Abigail on May 14, 2003 at 01:29 AM.]

[This message was edited by Abigail on May 14, 2003 at 01:30 AM.]

It sounds to me like CJ is spending a lot of time monitoring Publishers and their sites, when it should be directing a scornfull eye at its Advertisers. While wasting time and resources trying to find a Publisher doing something wrong, they've got a network full of Advertisers who can't or won't convert, and who reverse a big chunk of their transactions.

Meanwhile, there are a few high profile Publishers who continue to obtain traffic in questionable ways. No need to send out a spider looking for those Publishers, CJ. Just look around here at ABW, you'll figure out which ones they are pretty quick.

Andy

"If you were born to be shot, you'll never be hung." -Unknown

ABW Ambassador
    Just to confirm, it is now crawling. It's user-agent is "CJNetworkQuality; http://www.cj.com/networkquality".

Michael

quote:
    Originally posted by Fer:
    May be, just may be, this could be an action to combat parasite-ware. That would be great!

The spider has nothing to do with parasiteware, it has to do with searching for words or images on a publisher's site that do not conform to the PSA.

Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    No problem for me ...no tricks for clicks on any of my sites. Guess they don't need a CoC compliance robot as the BHO's all roam the internet at random and generate squatt from their actual domain traffic.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

Is this CJ spider actually clicking through CJ links from our sites?? I got over 5,000 MORE click throughs yesterday! Average sales. I wouldn't think it would be clicking through? What good would that be? Anyone else get more click throughs yesterday?

Tami

that would be a very bad thing - if would drive epc into the ground! can we have some clarification about that - Todd, are you in the house??

Abigail

I may be a little technically challenged but why is this thing showing up as so many "404" codes in my logs??

Abigail

I've read a fair amount of legaleese in my day and I have no idea of what CJ is doing exactly other than spidering my site. Are they looking for bad links or bad keywords (e.g. using Commission Junction in the meta tags)?

Furthermore, exactly how, if any is this suppose to benefit us or the vendors?

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    "searching for words or images on a publisher's site~Haiko"

Unless this is some great new tech, it shouldn't be able to "see" what images are on a site, just whether there are images or not. Of course, it could pick up the names of the pics and any alt text, though...

~Revenue is King

ABW Ambassador
    There is tech like that, I doubt they're using it..

Guess its time to cloak more ..

----
    -J
    When you're down It's a long way up
    When you're up It's a long way down

Oh Leader you gave me a giggle - I just visualized a green toady loaking thing with very thick horn rimmed glasses!

Abigail

Everyone, please check your "Web site Performance" reports for yesterday, May 13. I can't believe I am the only one that got a huge increase in "Clicks"??
    Over 5000 more! It has to be the CJ spider, Tod please answer this question...Is CJ spider clicking through our CJ links???

Tami

One site up by 1/3 of my best day - another site up 300% of my best day. Interesting, that's for sure, if fact the impressions of the second site certainly don't reflect the amount of the clicks.

Abigail

What will CJ do if we ban it??

Abigail

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    I'm not seeing an increase in my clickthroughs. But then from what I can tell from my logs, the cj spider didn't venture past my index page. Guess it didn't like my site

Keep Your Hands Off My Cookies

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Originally posted by Haiko:
    The spider has nothing to do with parasiteware, it has to do with searching for words or images on a publisher's site that do not conform to the PSA.

Additionally, searches are made to monitor continued compliance to advertisers' special terms and conditions... Specifically, Sections 1 and/or 2.2.

In section 2.2 it says
    You shall not cause any Transactions to be made that are not in good faith, including, but not limited to, using any device, program, robot...

So, I'm not saying it is, but also "nothing to do" could be wrong, because "...device, program, robot..." could be parasiteware.

Fer

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast