Hi All,

Planning to develp a database driven site. Which technology should I use that can help me in longer run? Should I go for PHP, ASP or JSP? Keeping in mind that I am develping an affiliate site and would like to use Datafeeds provided by the merchants. Because I am just starting off so want to start right.

I would appreciate any recommendations. Thanks to all for the input.
    <DT>[size=1][color=navy]"The best measure of a man's honesty isn't his income tax return.[/color][/size]<DT>[size=1][color=navy]It's the zero adjust on his bathroom scale." Arthur C. Clark[/color][/size]</DT>

depends on what you want to learn....

I chose PHP because I'm on a unix sever... and refuse to give cousin Bill any more of my money..

PHP for unix and ASP for windows server are the most common...

Joe
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

HI Joe, Thanks for your feedback.

What do you say about JSP? Actually my brother is going to help me out with my project and he is an expert in JSP. Although he can work with PHP and ASP as well.

Web hosting is another issue not every web host offers JSP and ASP where as PHP is offered by almost everyone and the ones who have JSP or ASP enabled they charge bit extra.

Still I would like to get some suggestions about JSP.

Thanks
    <DT>[size=1][color=navy]"The best measure of a man's honesty isn't his income tax return.[/color][/size]<DT>[size=1][color=navy]It's the zero adjust on his bathroom scale." Arthur C. Clark[/color][/size]</DT>

Outsourced Program Manager
    Ahmar,

I use Aestiva's HTML/OS http://aestiva.com/

Also check out http://h20.aestiva.com/ which is the free version that doesn't include the database engine. That way you can try it out. It's a complete database and dynamic web application and website builder. It has it's own REALLY fast database engine built in. With Aestiva, you don't need anything else (no mySQL or other database engines, middlewares, etc). Everything is combined. The software is manageable over the web or even on your own PC.

I use it to automatically download datafeeds every 24 hours which are then distributed to the affiliates for the programs I manage. I also used it to develop all the affiliates tools and the template site builder. It can be programmed to run processes automatically. There is alot of free apps you can download for it so you get to learn how things work quickly.

To see the tools go to...

http://www.bestbuysonthenet.com/html...splay/lfl.html

Then browse around at the other tools in the drop-down box.

Or for something "prettier" and more grand, check out http://bestbuysonthenet.com/ . That whole site is done with Aestiva HTML/OS. And there is a comprehensive web-based admin and content management system that I built for bestbuysonthenet.com that regular visitors don't see.

It can be used for simple dynamic sites, and it is also used to run all the web-based apps for many half-trillion dollar corporations, including major banks and larger companies in other industries.

If interested, let me know. I can give you a hefty discount off the listed price (I'm an official Aestiva Partner).

Best Regards,
    Paul

Outsourced Program Manager
    By the way, Aestiva can be installed in a small hosting account simply by FTPing the install file and then running it with your web browser. Or you can install it on your own PC for testing (if you have apache or another webserver software installed). It runs on windows servers and PCs, Mac, FreeBSD, Linux, Unix, etc. And best of all, if you ever move servers, you simply copy all the code you developed to the new installation without needing to change your code regardless of what type of server or hosting account you're moving to. It also allows you to package your applications and websites into a single archive file (kinda like zip or tar) so that your code is protected. Then you're able to extract it in such a way that your code is executable on the new server but scrambled at the same time so no one else can figure out how you coded it (scrambling is not required though to move files like that).

Best Regards,
    Paul

Thanks Paul for the feedback and the offer. I have downloaded the trial version. Just need a little time to explore the features and how it works. Would definitely let you know if it works for me.

Thanks again

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread