My programmer is working on something for me, making most of a page all includes. The header loads and then hangs a few seconds before loading the rest of the page. Could it be from having too many includes in the page?

I guess it depends on how many includes you have. Technically, I would say too much of anything could slow a page but I would first suspect a particular include being used. Maybe try removing one include at a time to see which one is causing the slow down. Remove the one just after the header and try it. If it's still slow, put that one back in and take out the next one. I usually have anywhere from 3 to 8 includes and don't really see any slowing down because of it.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

ABW Ambassador
    Normally the delays are because of embedded tables, try breaking out sections to individual tables. Also try putting all offsite graphics in iframes so they will not slow page loading.

Are the includes loaded on condition? If not, why not create a cron job to create static versions of the pages with no includes? This is ultimately the fastest way to serve pages.

Chet

The sectioned out tables that Chez Noir mentioned works very well if you have lots of content on the page. I like to place the above the fold stuff in one table and below the fold and footer in another.

Connie,

Simply including text content won't cause any slow down. It really depends on what sort of processing is going on in each included file. Usually a lot of slowdown is caused by poorly indexed database tables or something that takes a lot of processing power. What Xandman said is a good start. It'll help you identify the problem spot. A lot of the time the trouble is just finding the problem, not solving it. In my experience 90% of the time adding indexes to your database in key locations will speed everything up to par.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Also check for a missing or corrupt file, the system will try and load repeatedly until it gives up, this could be causing the delay.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread