ABW Ambassador
    Originally posted here:
    http://abw.infopop.cc/eve/ubb.x?a=tp...6395#216106395

Since I have gotten more than a few PMs on this, I thought i would make a post.

The purpose of this script:
    It serves one and only one purpose to hide the affiliate link from Norton's blocking. You only need to replace your linking code, this does not affect your banner images, if you want to avoid those being blocked, i suggest not calling them from CJ, resizing them, etc.

Requirements:
    PHP. While I imagine you could somehow do it in javascript if you don't have php, if you don't have php you need a new host.

Installation:
    Take the code below and copy into a file using whatever site or text editor you use. I use editplus2, but you can use notepad if you want. Save it as funorton.php or any other filename, just make sure the extension is .php

Upload it to your server where other pages can call it. You need only one script per site to handle all of your products, merchants and networks.

How to use the code:
    Check whatever affiliate link you have now. An example for Commission junction is
    pid - site id
    aid - advertiser id

so a standard CJ link looks like this
    pid=5555555
    aid=0000000
    http://www.qksrv.net/click-5555555-0000000
    (I will ignore sids for now)

So as you can see, there are two ids you care about, other than that, the link to CJ is always the same. Every merchant or network has a similar set of ids that you need to pass to your script. The idea here being, make one script, call it from various product links etc.

In php, to pass parameters to a script, it is as simple as adding a ? after the .php and then adding variablename=variable couplets, separating additional couplets with the "&" symbol. In the script itself to access that variable, just use the same name with the $ sign in front of it. So if we have the above example and want to pass it to a script named funorton.php, it would look like http://www.example.com/funorton.php?...55&aid=0000000. We add an additional optional variable style so we can use the same script across networks. so to complete the example, http://www.example.com/funorton.php?...55&aid=0000000 PHP does not care about the order the variables are in, but it is good to be consistent. These three variables are now available for our script as $style, $pid, and $aid. Since we never know what norton will pick on next, and because not every network uses aid and pid, lets rename them to id1 and id2. So our example will end up being:
    http://www.example.com/funorton.php?...55&id2=0000000

With php, once in the script you don't have to worry about setting the variables equal to something, or worrying about if they are characters or numbers, for this php doesn't care.

Inside the script the first thing we check is the style. This is optional, if you have only one network you could just use the same code everywhere, but if you want to be able to use this script with any merchant or network, i would suggest leaving it in.

You can add as many case statements as you want between the brackets, one for each unique merchant or network.
    Once the switch command makes it choice, we just create the header - and take the standard url and insert our ids. In this example, the case is 1, so it goes to the cj url, and it builds the correct url using id1 and id2. The exit and break tell php to stop at this point, which it should do anyways. The header location line will redirect the users browser to the url you have created and away they will go to make a sale for you without norton getting in the way.

The second case is for link share, just use linkshare's create a link to see what ids are needed. An example of that code being called would be
    linkshareid=55555
    offerid=00000.000
    type=14
    subid=5
    (we will ignore the binid etc for now).
    http://www.example.com/funorton.php?...ype=14&subid=5

If you have any questions on this script, please just post them here, don't pm me as many other people probably have the same questions.

PHP Code:
    <?
    /*This is a comment block between the slash and stars
    Just use as many ids as you need
    style = style id, so you can just use one script for multiple merchants/networks, 
    you could even shortcut it for just one merchant.
    style = 1 CJ
    style = 2 Linkshare
    Check your linking code and the merchant for exact linking code.
    */
    switch ($style) {
        case 
    "1":    

header ("Location: "."http://www.qksrv.net/click-$id1-$id2");
            exit();
            break;
        case 
    "2":

header ("Location: "."http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/click?id=$id1&offerid=$id2&type=$id3&subid=$id4");
            exit();
            break;

}

?>
    Chet
    Last edited by Haiko de Poel, Jr.; February 20th, 2005 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Fixed Code because of migration issues

Good work Chet. I use something similar for my own personal needs. One suggestion though. Some people's servers have safe mode enabled. I would recommend changing the $variables to something like $_GET[''] variables. Or perhaps putting the $_GET into another variable name. Might help with the support emails you will be getting.

Just a thought from someone that has been there.
    Chris

ps...I like the name of the script too. Kinda fits them.
    Recycled Talent - Architects of custom scripts and snippets, perfectly written to suit any need. We stay on top of the latest technology so you don't have to.
    Total Stupidity - Shining light on stupid things.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Since I have gotten more than a few PMs on this, I thought i would make a post...

Chet <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks so much for your help! It's very much appreciated.

Next question...

Taking your example of the cj link, http://www.example.com/funorton.php?...5&aid=0000000, how would the rest of the link be done if you are using products?

http://www.example.com/funorton.php?...uctnumber.html

Would Norton allow that to pass, or do you have to do something else with the php script?

Boise

Thanks Chet it's a great little script. I've been trying on and off for months to do something like this
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

Since this basically isn't an affiliate link, shouldn't you need to add &afsrc=1 to your links as well?
    Scott
    If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, then baffle them with bulls#!t
    Don't tell me that you'll do it... SHOW ME.
    Just because everyone else is drinking it is no reason for me to drink the KOOL-AID.

What are the style settings for Google adsense??

Thanks
    Thanks,
    Doug

If I'm understanding your question correctly Doug the "style" settings is nothing to do with Google or any of the SE's, what it does is it allows you to have more than one merchants link on the script.

If you look at the script it says <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    style = 1 CJ
    style = 2 Linkshare
    Check your linking code and the merchant for exact linking code.
    */
    switch ($style) {
    case "1":
    header ("Location: "."http://www.qksrv.net/click-$id1-$id2");
    exit();
    break;
    case "2":
    header ("Location: "."http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/click?id=$id1&offerid=$id2&type=$id3&subid=$id4");
    exit();
    break; <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> This is saying that "style1" is the CJ link "http://www.qksrv.net" and
    "style2" is the Linkshare link "http://click.linksynergy.com"
    Using this method of Chets you could add more styles for other merchants and have them all on the one script.

Hope Chet does not mind me posting this.
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

ABW Ambassador
    Not at all, thanks, Gordon you are 100% correct.

You are not allowed to modify google's adsense code, so you cannot use this for google adsense. It will still be blocked.

Nature Boy, for the afsrc=1, sorry i missed your post, added notification for this thread, i would NOT use it. Even though this is exactly when you are supposed to use it, I have to think if Norton doesn't use that to decide something is an evil affiliate link already, it will shortly. Can anyone with Norton installed confirm the behavoir?

I uninstalled it and don't feel like subjecting another PC to it. A nice side note, it does not fully uninstall, I still have a some norton app now wanting to access the net every so often.

Chet

This is a nice solution for those using individual links. All of my CJ ads are served via SmartZones. Does anyone have a similar approach for allowing SmartZones to be seen, or any JavaScript based ads for that matter?

ABW Ambassador
    I'd like to make a couple comments on some value of a script like this for masking links.

I see Chet is unconditionally using qksrv.net and I'm certain that many of you are using the new links instead.

I just got off the phone with my brother in law who was having trouble accessing links from a new site we just finished. Yup is was his hosts file and blocking of qksrv....

As time goes on and you get links from the new domains and your users hosts file start blocking them as well as qksrvs - resolving issues from hosts file blocking is not going to get easier - it will get very difficult. Imagine telling them to delete 500 or so of the domains you know about from the hosts file - not that you know them anyway!

With this in mind using qksrv links and masking it actually makes more sense IMO. The alternative where links aren't masked and randon domains are used will likely result in a nightmare soon for domain based affiliates who have not considered this.

Also, for people not using databases and using static html, a simple program (I'm sure someone here is willing to write" to parse an particular html file looking for network links and change them as needed to call the approproate php module as needed with the appropriate paramaters would be a godsend for many people here wanting a simple solution to mask their links.

Have a great day

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    &gt;I just got off the phone with my brother in
    &gt;law who was having trouble accessing links
    &gt;from a new site we just finished. Yup is was
    &gt;his hosts file and blocking of qksrv....

What you need to realise is that you can mask links all day, but if qksrv.net is in your hosts file, CJ links WILL NOT TRACK, because even the ones with the new domains HAVE TO go through qksrv.net because THAT IS WHERE THE COOKIE IS DEPOSITED.

The new domains are a fix for the HTML re-writers like Norton and parasites, NOT for the hosts file problem.

ABW Ambassador
    That is correct, which why the host file issue sucks so bad. but you can use my script and change the domain used for cj, hell you could even have it rotate between them - or does it still eventually have to make its way to qksrv? I have never been clear on that aspect.

Chet

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Yep. it still HAS to go through qksrv.net because that's where the cookie is deposited.

CJ is correcting things now (as far as "banner ad blocking" is concerned by using a different domain than qksrv.net for serving up banner adverts.

I think the best hting to do is adopt a completelydifferent domain since qksrv.net is poisoned badly. The newly adopted domain might never find it into the banner blocking hosts files, because it would NEVER be used to server banners.

The only downside is that all our long-lasting cookies sitting on qksrv.net would die, and merchants would have to update their shopping carts so they worked with the new domain instead of qksrv.net.

But I think in the long term, it would be a good move.

I have'nt checked what percentage of windows machines have qksrv.net blocked in their host files, recently, but from memory, it's quite high. Maybe I should check my server log, I think I'm still tracking that stat.

Could you post an example for a BeFree merchant link?

Be careful with Befree links. Some of them use siteid= and others use sourceid=. They mean the same thing (basically) but I don't think they are interchangeable.

You may need to set up 2 different Befree links within the script.
    Scott
    If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, then baffle them with bulls#!t
    Don't tell me that you'll do it... SHOW ME.
    Just because everyone else is drinking it is no reason for me to drink the KOOL-AID.

I understand what to do but not clear where to put the info.

On script for php

&lt;?
    /*
    */
    switch ($style) {
    case "1":
    header ("Location: "."http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/click?id=$id1&offerid=$id2&type=$id3&subid=$id4");
    exit();
    break;

}

?&gt;

I have taken out portion for CJ, since I work mainly with linkshare and some BeFree, which I’m eliminating.

So. I take script as above (save in note pad as .php) and just upload it to my servers php_upload folder, right?

Now, how do I write the redirect in code?

Here is an example of the redirect code in my .htaccess

redirect /PromoKitchenAppliance.html http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/...type=3&subid=0"

I have done my entire home page this way as on all my other sites and want to start with the inside pages, once I am sure I am doing it correctly.

Now, this does work with the Norton ad blocking, but with people now loading spyware on to their computers, would the .php script solve that problem. I purchased one to experiment with, Spy Sweeper (and while talking to tech service rep there, I noticed a techy putting this same program on too new computers) and noticed once on even with my redirects done as they are, pages would not display at all, so had to go in and uncheck all linkshare titles. Then they came up.

Can you show me on this .php how you would write the redirect to the link above.

I know I’m asking a lot, but I’m trying to learn this as fast as I can.

Best wishes

Frederick

I still don't understand how norton blocks affiliate links. I have norton installed on my computer and never seen or heard about norton blocking affiliate links. What would the purpose of that be anyway? There's no security risk or anything, is there?

Mike... How did you happen upon this thread if you didn't have a question about Norton blocking affiliate links? It's almost 2 years old

Just curious as to how you dug it up...
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

LOL, I was searching for link cloakers... And why I need them. So I'm guessing this Norton problem is not a problem any more?

This post got my curiousity and boy......if ever there was a post for me to realize just how much of a computer dummie I am. lol this was it. I can honestly say.....I don't think I understand a single word of what you're talking about. I very much envy all of your knowledge on the subject You're definitely a bunch of really computer smarties

The Norton cloaking Script disguises the affiliate url so that it can pass by Norton ... what if a "regular cloaking script" were used? i.e. see this thread:
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...ighlight=cloak

Which type of script is better to use?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread