I contacted CJ when I found that they are STILL allowing 180Solutions and, get this, WHENU(!) to run their affiliate programs through CJ. Here is my letter to them:

"Hello!

I am wondering why CJ continues to host known parasiteware users such as 180Solutions.com and WhenU.com? These companies encourage their users to download software that will intercept the commissions of purchases the user makes at other sites.

CJ's own policies forbid websites from using this technology yet many of these sites are still participating in your services. Most notably WhenU.com, one of the most prolific parasiteware users on the internet.

Please explain."

Here is their response:

"Hi, Commission Junction has reviewed the companies you mentioned and have found them to be in compliance with their contract and Commission Junction standards and guidelines. If there are any other questions I can answer for you please let me know.

Regards,
    ARK"

And affiliates wonder where their commissions are going.............

ABW Ambassador
    There are probably two standards, one for whenu and one for the rest of us.

Reply back and quote CJ's own TOS.

CJ really likes to throw that Compliance word around.

We're working to bring them into compliance...
    We're working to bring them into compliance...
    Follow the yellow brick road...
    Follow the yellow brick road...

The COC is worthless.
    It is 100% PR.
    It was designed to placate affiliates.

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by Just a guy:
    The COC is worthless.
    It is 100% PR.

Depending on the network...I can attest that BeFree has indeed enforced it, they booted Gator and they have booted IP Insight from their network.

http://abw.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&...9&m=2586021703

I'm sure and will hope that CJ will do the right thing as well, for the industry...

Andy Rodriguez,
    Online Advertising / Affiliate Marketing Manager

TigerDirect.com
    P: (305) 415-2313
    E: andy.rodriguez@tigerdirect.com

Parasite Free in 2003!

That response from CJ pisses me off! That's ridiculous.

quote:
    The COC is worthless.
    It is 100% PR.

I am starting to agree.

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Originally posted by Andy - TigerDirect:
    quote:
    Originally posted by Just a guy:
    The COC is worthless.
    It is 100% PR.

Depending on the network...I can attest that BeFree has indeed enforced it, they booted Gator and they have booted IP Insight from their network.

http://abw.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&...9&m=2586021703

I'm sure and will hope that CJ will do the right thing as well, for the industry...

Andy Rodriguez,
    Online Advertising / Affiliate Marketing Manager

TigerDirect.com
    P: (305) 415-2313
    E: andy.rodriguez@tigerdirect.com

_Parasite Free in 2003!_
    However, just out of curiousity, is whenu, or 180solutions, as mentioned above, a part of the befree network of affiliates? If they are, why have they not been booted? Or, where they booted already? I am not sure about 180solutions, but I do believe whenu isdefinitely in the befree network of affiliates, still. Not long ago, I witnessed for the first time, whenu at work, placing a Barnes and Noble ad for a coupon/discount on a landing page that I clicked through from my site on my friends computer.

Big Chuck
    If you can't run with the big dogs, then stay on the porch!

CJ:

Andy

"If you were born to be shot, you'll never be hung." -Unknown

Does anyone have any good information on what 180solutions is doing? (either URL or if you just want to respond)

Josh

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Well I can attest that Whenu popups at the point of sale on many of my BF and CJ merchant links. Linkshare gave them the boot for good cause...eveil greegy management willing to do anything for a buck. Why can't all the networks get real with the CoC and throw us and the web shoppers a bone...everyone give WhenU the boot and let them join the ranks of Gator.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

CJ!!!!!

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

ROLMAO ...SSanf must agree.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

This sound like last year!

We are always going to be taken for a ride from this Parasite!

You know why???

Pls. let me know if you know why? lol...

my two cents!

if they are making money for the Networks and Merchants (in behalf of the hard work of honest affiliates of course), they are always going to be around!
    they will just get a pat on the hand and said you bad boy!

Yup seen the post and the issue sure are getting old!

we are always going to see oh don't worry we are working on it, they are not parasite, they are in compliance.

I think I said this last year, "They are treating us like we are morons that we don't have common sense!

It doesn't matter what we do honest affiliate as long as these scums are supported by the Networks and most Merchants, you mine as well just ask for miracles. ( I pray everyday that we get our fair chance and the parasite will leave us alone).

I still am not giving up, and we are going to work as hard to fight this scums out of our site.

De Javu...
    De Javu...
    De Javu...
    De Javu...

What comes around goes around. payback is a mofo!

it's like being raped and everyone in the network is just watching and laughing!

Love Life to the fullest. we only get ONE chance! :-) !

ABW Ambassador
    Todd, if you can't answer to this, at least get someone at CJ to send in the COC ok status report for them.

Fer

I keep seeing that seen from Star Wars Episode I ... you know, where Liam Neeson says "Credits will be fine ..."

Karl Smith
    phillyBurbs - Your Internet Starts Here

ABW Ambassador
    . . . and I catch grief for calling them what they are~~!

Brian
    aka Cyclone

Get while the getting's good

ABW Ambassador
    I LOVE CJ . . . it's the people there that suck~!

Brian
    aka Cyclone

Get while the getting's good

ABW Ambassador
    Well I can think of 2 things we can do. Most of us have suggested dropping merchants who work with Whenu & Ebates, but many have chosen not to because they would sustain great financial losses. (Understandable)
    So my other thought is possibly we all should download the WhenU and Ebates garbage, take screens shots on a daily basis and flood CJ and I mean flood them with COC complaints.
    I am sure CJ will continue giving the same old crappy answers but at least we can keep them very busy and they will know we are not going to stop sending them! If we wind up with problems with our computers we can send Whenu & Ebates the bill for fixing them (of course they will not pay). But we can flood CJ, Whenu and Ebates with emails and complaints as often as we find them on our sites. With the thousands of members here that can amount to a lot of emails and COC complaints.
    Cazzie

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Most of us have suggested dropping merchants who work with Whenu & Ebates, but many have chosen not to because they would sustain great financial losses. (Understandable)
    So my other thought is possibly we all should download the WhenU and Ebates garbage, take screens shots on a daily basis and flood CJ and I mean flood them with COC complaints.

Cazzie gets an AtaGirl.

If the networks did their job and enforced the COC - It shouldn't mater if I partner with a merchant that does business with a parasite or not!

I just pulled some merchants associated with parasites yesterday and will be pulling more and more as time goes on because it's obvious that the parasites will not honor the COC.

Merchants and affiliates who thought that the COC would bring order to an industry plauged with theft and underhanded tactics - this is your wakeup call.

ABW reporting COC violations as a group in mass will put the question of if the networks will continue to sidestep the issue of enforcement or if they will be forced to act with abw members reporting and "building a list for santa" that shows just how rampant COC violations are.

As individual affiliates - we're dead meat! The question is as a group are we still dead meat?

quote:
    Originally posted by happypoon:
    ABW reporting COC violations as a group in mass will put the question of if the networks will continue to sidestep the issue of enforcement or if they will be forced to act with abw members reporting and "building a list for santa" that shows just how rampant COC violations are.

... and documenting the violations their responses in the new CoC violations forum!!!

Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Wake up folks....whenu nor cj isn't doing anything differently than what they have been doing. I guess it's just that more affs or downloading this software and seeing first hand what is going on.

As far as CJ saying WhenU is in compliance...they (along with BF and Performics) said this when Feb 10th rolled around and ALL the parasite's that remain with affiliate status were still there! All that changed was an addendum to the COC putting the burden on US with the afsrc=1 code. And while I'm on that one...ask yourselves why is EBATES using the afsrc=1 code in THEIR urls? Hello! The afscr=1 code was supposed to allow THEIR software to detect OUR links.

CJ will deem the likes of whenu to be in compliant because they gave themselves a loophole in the COC...that part about it being up to each network to INTERPRET what compliance actually is. They are determining whenu's actions as compliant, along with the top moxie programs and others.

Reality bites at times doesn't it?

Keep Your Hands Off My Cookies

15 years and counting
    Did you notice, how all these crooks are stealing under cover with stealth thief ware. They are covering their @sses. They don't steal all the time. They have to look legit. Amazon is doing the same, from time to time, they are just stealing our traffic, but not always, so to catch them is a real pain.
    I don't think CJ is able to understand what's going on, it's a fact, but are they dumb or just greedy?

It's not the big that eat the small... it's the fast that eat the slow. Jennings & Haughton

Logical best test to get rid of us BHO complainers would be to shut off all BHO incent feeds for 60 days by the networks. We all can then compare the stats and the networks can scratch their heads when trying to figure out how ebates -WhenU and some others still show up with a pile of commissions. Someone is planting tracking cookies and the perps will then be caught red handed. Come on networks ---unplug them for 60 days and see if they have a hidden auto-pilot.

Mike & Charlie ...

[This message was edited by EcomCity.com on May 26, 2003 at 03:26 PM.]

quote:
    Come on networks ---unplug them for 60 days and see if they have a hidden auto-pilot.

But Mike they are not gonna tell us what the outcome if they try this.

Wouldn't you think they are behind this scam?

To let this kind of behaviour going on for such a long time and affiliate have been asking the Networks to do what's right is enough for them to boot this kind of behaviour!

Do you think they are going to come clean?

This is bigger than anyone can think of and until the shit come out on the open, we will not know what is really behind all this crap!

The bottom line is, they don't freaking care what affiliate said or do!

They are racking all the money in behalf of our work! That's all it matters to them and they can say what ever they want to say!

Their word is no value until they come clean! i'm really

Where is the justice on this is beyond me!

------------------------------
    What does the COC stand for? Crooks Overwriting Commissions.
    ------------------------------
    Love Life to the fullest. we only get ONE chance! :-) !

Ok I do not understand what we are talking about here. We claim they are stealing our sales and they claim they are not. I'm sick and tired of all this commission stealing bullshit with no action.

Why has there been no action? Is there proof that sales are being stolen or not? I thought there was. If there is why don't the police arrest them? Where is the law?

The only reason these people wouldn't have been arrested is because we have no proof. No other reason makes any sense.

So now back to square one. We claim they are stealing our sales. Hey I've got an idea let's get some freaking proof and call the police.

ABW Ambassador
    Heyder you know full well the issues and you know that the COC was implemented to "bring order" and ensure ethical practices were to be implemented and adheared to by various downloadable software programs and other tools and methods that are used to intefere with, overwrite, and or divert affiliate cookies.

The concept to most affiliates when the Nov meeting took place and the results that were announced was that the parasites would have to comply to certain rules or they would be penalized and booted.

The fact is that while no law has yet determined some of these parasitic practices as being illegal, the intent of the COC and the fact that the networks met and came up with the COC clearly indicates there was a problem that needed addressing and they themselves implemented the COC.

Fast forward to now - The same underlying issues thast were occurring prior to the COC are still occuring (some better some worse) on a broad scale and COC violations are being documented day after day.

Befree is the only network that I'm aware of (thats part of the COC) that has responded and taken actions by kicking out gator and ipinsight which were appropriate actions based on the intent of the COC.

For CJ to say WhenU is in compliance may be their right but - that statement is not one that supports the "spirit of the COC" and non enforcement by networks not responding to COC violations can only be construed as an intent to not enforce the very agreement they made with affiliates and merchants concerning the unethical practices everyone cleary agreed was occuring and needed to be stopped.

I personally find the networks lack of response, lack of communication, lack of implementing procedures to assit with the filing of complaints and their apparent lack of will to enforce the very agreement they helped define as much more than very distasteful!

26. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread