Kazaa CJ links theory

I have a theory on a way to make tracking links break through Kazaa's modified hosts file. Someone please chime in and let me know if I'm in the right direction. The hosts file currently blocks www.cj.com, www.qksrv.net, etc. What if CJ and other affiliate programs used a wildcard dns on their servers so *.qksrv.net, screwkazaa.qksrv.net would all resolve to qksrv.net. I use wildcard dns on some of my sites as subdomains. From what I read the hosts file treats subdomains as individual sites and does not support wildcards so it would be impossible for kazaa to block anythingpossible.qksrv.net. This means that links would always work. The part I'm iffy about is whether CJ could read the *.qksrv.net tracking cookies from their server. If they could then I would think this would work. You are all welcome to shoot holes in this theory!.

iPo

iPo,

CJ should just sue the thieves, the fact that they don't screams something!

Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli

ABW Ambassador
    Master domain can read subdomain cookies, they solution you are giving is backward compatible, CJ could implement it in 1 day and noting need to be changed in the other side to continue working, just if changed would avoid host file blocks.

Would very cheap also to CJ to pay(donate) kazaa lite, and make them fix host file the next update, I mean very cheap, I mean cheaper than free, I mean CJ can earn more than 10 times the donation if they remove the block from older host files in the next update.

I tested with 100,000 clicks that are a niche I have, that about 1% of CJ traffic is blocked by kazaa lite, so 1% od total montlhy sales is million of dollars in commission, 30% of that belong to CJ, but now belongs to nobody!

Fer

quote:
    Would very cheap also to CJ to pay(donate) kazaa lite, and make them fix host file the next update, I mean very cheap, I mean cheaper than free, I mean CJ can earn more than 10 times the donation if they remove the block from older host files in the next update.
    CJ should NOT pay kazaa lite to quit doing something that kazaa lite did with the intention of harming both CJ's business and ours. I'm amazed that CJ hasn't taken legal action.

This goes back to the same old cr@p about how the end user chose to put this garbage on their computer, and they were told up front what this entailed in the TOS...yadda yadda yadda.

Of course, the people behind Kaaza Lite never considered they're hurting independent web site owners. I'm sure they really don't care, but I believe the TOS should be clearer. Most people wouldn't want software for free if they knew it would initiate countless pop ups, pop unders, and that sites they look at would have big blank spaces on the page due to ad blockers.

They're taking advantage of consumers, because they know people don't read everything before downloading it.

Andy

"If you were born to be shot, you'll never be hung." -Unknown

ABW Ambassador
    I think CJ should just pay them.

Someday they'll have auction sites where site owners can bid to get their urls off various hosts files.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread