ABW Ambassador
    eBay gets a payback! Sources are saying the 35 million dollars could be tripled, because the jury found eBay's actions were intentional.

"MercExchange filed suit in federal court in September 2001 accusing eBay of using Woolston's ideas to operate its online auction house, without his permission and without paying him."

Hey, MercExchange, eBay didn't pay me that well either. Can I have part of the money?

Additionally, MercExchange is seeking an injunction that will prohibit the use of "buy it now". So everyine still using eBay, you might be kissing those buy it now nickels goodbye soon!

35 Million, thats a lotta nickels

ABW Ambassador
    "Tuesday posted a first-quarter profit of $104.2 million, more than double the amount it earned in the same period last year."

So, eBay will get away with only paying up to 3 months profits?

If I were on the jury, I would have elected to give the guy at least a year's profits.

A slap on the hand!

Ok, I've got to admit I'm thinking eBay has been robbing affiliates to help pay this thing.

How does everyone (still using them) feel now about doing business with convicted thieves?

quote:
    How does everyone (still using them) feel now about doing business with convicted thieves?

Face it, all of us in affiliate marketing are probably - knowingly or unknowingly - doing business with thieves. It seems this industry is riddled with them.

Our only options are to find something else to do, or work to make things better by educating people to the thievery that goes on, and hope it will stop someday.

I don't think eBay is any better or any worse than many of the companies we deal with. They've just been caught before the others. But I do agree with you that the penalties aren't likely to have much of an impact on them.

Andy

"If you were born to be shot, you'll never be hung." -Unknown

quote:
    Our only options are to find something else to do, or work to make things better by educating people to the thievery that goes on, and hope it will stop someday.

HAHAHAHA - good one! as long as there's an internet, there'll be thieves, and most will never be caught. Kinda like that damn little CJ6 bug!

ABW Ambassador
    I think there are quite a few honest merchants ...or least many that wish the cost of doing business in the affiliate world wasn't so expensive ...so they could afford to be honest.

Possibly it's true that most affiliates would do business (knowlingly) with known thieves.

Regardless of how well you do with eBay, I bet you think they are thieves ...and are even ripping you off.

Merchant thieves will thrive in the affiliate world if affiliates continue to think like them. Corrupt merchants depend on affiliates that think like them...and it makes it easier to rip someone off who is likewise a thief at heart.

eBay refuses to buy the patents from the guy who owns them. Typical of hardened criminals even in the wake of being caught.

Yahoo, Amazon, and others want to buy those patents. I would like to see someone purchase them and put eBay out of business...because eBay is the worst kind of criminal...a hardened one.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread