it has been approximately six months now that we have determined that our promotional efforts are better rewarded through the Performics and LinkShare networks - consequently we have refrained during this period from starting new affiliate relationships with CJ merchants, or improving our promotion for already existing ones.

after over six months of this experiment we have established, and have to report, that our decision of fazing-out CJ from our top priorities has been a profitable one. we have been amply rewarded and compensated for steering away from CJ by much higher conversions elsewhere. quite notable has been the performance of Performics merchants, leading us to transfer all merchants operating in both networks to Performics.

seems that underperformance coupled to arrogance is not a mix well-rewarded with long-term success on the net. whatever happened to the arrogant prominence of Infoseek, Excite, AltaVista and to the other underperforming dot-bombs?

a wave of good fortune brought them up to the top - but they were not up to the task of keeping themselves there.

currently, investing more time at CJ does not seem like a good investment. indeed we have established that our time is much better invested elsewhere.

15 years and counting
    I'm sad to hear that.
    I'm still thinking CJ had the best business model for the small affiliate starting in our business.
    I've seen CJ going down the hill as soon as they change their management.
    Yes, they have a bad attitude. I agree with you, they are arrogant, it's the less we can say, and they are following the tracks of other failing dot-bombs for the same reasons, they don't care for their customers.
    They should listen more to their affiliates. We are the reason why they are in business.
    They are lost and only us can save them. They just don't know it, yet.
    When are they going to really communicate with us, instead of the super dupers who are bringing them down?
    We don't work for CJ, they are working for us, they are just a service provider between us and our merchants. If they are not able to provide this service anymore, we'll find an other way.
    It's time for them to wake up.

It's not the big that eat the small... it's the fast that eat the slow. Jennings & Haughton

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Very astute and truthful statement: "We don't work for CJ, they are working for us, they are just a service provider between us and our merchants."

The mass of smaller affiliates are the network for the merchants and the sole reason for their bandwidth usage. The one's who ride outside the network and contribute nothing to the merchants are the BHO's who do have an exit plan as they are nothing by incent Ad spammers.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

ABW Ambassador
    Agree with all the posts above mine.

"Nothing focuses the mind better than the constant sight of a competitor who wants to wipe you off the map."
    --Wayne Calloway

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    quite notable has been the performance of Performics merchants

A word to the wise merchants. Get over there to Performics. Myself and others are waiting to make you rich!

Does anyone have a list of cross registered merchants on CJ vs. Performics vs. Linkshare?

Apollo

ABW Ambassador
    Well, it is about time people started opening their eyes to what has become of CJ.

When they got their new CEO, he made did a brief note to affiliates that he was going to work with us and for us. But since then, there has been not one peep for higher offices at CJ.

Instead of rallying the troops (us), they seem to have been increasingly been focusing attention and resources on super-affiliates with highly questionable tactics, and little worth to merchants.

In my opinion, CJ has used this forum to alert the affiliate community that the network is a wild wild west style goldmine with open arms for parasitic applications providers, and it has little or no policing of merchant tracking compliance either.

ABW Ambassador
    This just in from Eddie Bauer:

"In an effort to streamline our Affiliate Programs, Eddie Bauer has decided to consolidate all of our affiliate partners under a single affiliate provider. After much consideration, we have chosen Performics."

Good decision Eddie

I have to grudgingly admit that for my business, thematically speaking (Golf), CJ is outperforming LS (for me) by a wide margin.

And I love to complain about CJ

Don't have but one Performics merchant (Edwin Watts), so nothing to compare there.

I do like to see the heat/pressure put on CJ particularly however, because I wholeheartedly agree with the arrogance comment. They act as if publishers were irrelevant in this dynamic.

If merchants could do it themselves they wouldn't need us OR CJ!

Did you hear that CJ???

Jonathon Palbicke
    Webmaster
    www.krookedstix.com
    Webmaster@krookedstix.com
    Krooked Stix, Inc.
    It's all golf baby!

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    quote:
    I've seen CJ going down the hill as soon as they change their management.

I was never for that management change.

~Revenue is King

quote:
    Originally posted by kelly626:
    This just in from Eddie Bauer:

"In an effort to streamline our Affiliate Programs, Eddie Bauer has decided to consolidate all of our affiliate partners under a single affiliate provider. After much consideration, we have chosen _Performics._"

Good decision Eddie

Kelly,

You forgot this little note quote from Eddie Bauer, though:

"... the transition should be very smooth. The terms of compensation will remain the same at 0 return days ..."

ABW Ambassador
    This just in from Tower Records:

"We have come to a point where we are changing our affiliate program. We will be leaving Commission Junction on June 9, 2003.
    We will be opening a new program with Performics (www.performics.com). In looking at the lists of affiliates, most of you already have a partnership with them. We certainly hope that you will join us there."

Good move Tower Records.

ABW Ambassador
    I've been seeing a boatload heading away from CJ lately claiming high cost increases.
    And then there's the maggot merchants that never mention anything . . .

Brian
    aka Cyclone

Get while the getting's good

many affiliates, including me, are deriving a good monthly income from CJ merchants. however, CJ is increasingly becoming more trouble than it's worth.

we are proceeding more or less as follows:

- we replace gradually CJ merchants with merchants from other networks
    - we do not start any new affiliate relationships at CJ under no circumstances
    - we are keeping existing CJ merchants, which we feel make us a satisfactory income anyway

what is more important, we have eliminated CJ totally from our priorities for the future.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Doesn't Performics charge something like $2k for the datafeed?!

They can't be my primary network as long as they keep *that* up...

~Revenue is King

$2500 if your revenue (sales) are under $20k/mth

branding CJ as the rogue network does not imply that all is well with the other networks (unfortunately).

but believe that matters like datafeed costs shall improve over time. for the time being you may negotiate a lot of things, including cost of datafeeds.

For some programs CJ is better than other, for some - not.

Rosalind Gardner earned $436,797 in 2002 by promoting only affiliate programs. She reveals ALL her secrets step by step in her Super Affiliate Handbook (267 pages) www.renio.biz/rosalind/

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    "I've been seeing a boatload heading away from CJ lately claiming high cost increases."

We can assume the cost increases are due to CJ pushing double dipping BHO parasites on their merchant pool. Yippie ...let's give the BHO a 50% raise and see if that helps our bottom line. More coupons and rebates are sure to turn things around.

Reality ...even the lame merchants can't get around NOT PAYING CJ.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

ABW Ambassador
    I lost 2/3rd of my revenue compared to last year at cj.com. At that time I thought that this has something to do with the changes in SE. But now my websites are better that last year, my traffic is higher but the revenue keeps standing as low as it is. So I think this must have to do something with cj.com. Some of my websites are only pure cj websites and do perform very bad. Till summer I defenitively will make a change in network or merchant.

carneol

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    Carneol,

Do you have all your CJ links set to open in new window? If so, this could be a reason for lost sales revenue. See my thread about it here:

http://abw.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&...9&m=8566081633

With the increased prevalence of pop-up blockers, anti-spyware, adware and anti-parasite programs - many tracking cookies are being eaten or deleted and many of these programs will not allow ANY new windows to open.

I am hoping to find some people to help me test and see just how much of an issue this is. I suspect that more affiliates use the open in new window feature with links on CJ than some of the other networks because I don't think some of the other networks offer this option.

Linda Buquet | Affiliate Management Consultant | Catalyst eMarketing.com
    Representing: zZounds (Music Indie) Irvs Luggage (CJ) RoadLoans (CJ)

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks for this notice Linda. Indeed almost all my links are opening in a new window, because the site I was speaking is a portal website and has a lot of merchants selling the same products, and if the customer does not find what he needs he can look into another mechants website.
    You are absolutely right, and, if remember, I once tried a popupkiller, and experienced that what you mentionned. How stupid from me!! Is there any final notice from cj.com or others?

carneol

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    Carneol,

I'm hoping Todd will poke his head in and let us know what he thinks. If this is as big of an issue as I supect it is - then it's hurting CJ's revenue as well.

I changed all my links this weekend. I also added a "screentip" that pops up when you mouse over a link that warns "Bookmark this page now! Links DO NOT open in a new window."
    You can see it on my site when you mouse over the links for www.5starwebtools.com or the Internet Affiliate Marketing Association banner. Don't know how much it will help,
    losing people who surf off my site, but decided it was better than people not being able to get to any of my links at all.

Linda Buquet | Affiliate Management Consultant | Catalyst eMarketing.com
    Representing: zZounds (Music Indie) Irvs Luggage (CJ) RoadLoans (CJ)

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread