View Poll Results: Vote Today For Todd Crawford!

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Every day Todd should read and respond to our questions

8 14.81%
  • Once a week Todd should read and respond to all our questions over the last week.

6 11.11%
  • Once a month Todd should read and respond to all of our questions over the last month.

0 0%
  • Todd's a busy guy. Perhaps CJ should assign someone who has more time to assist us with our questions and concerns.

18 33.33%
  • This vote is a waste of time...it won't change a thing.

22 40.74%
    Okay, a bit of sensationalism to get you to read this, but I do want your vote and it is a vote about Todd Crawford.

Over a year ago I thought Todd did a pretty good job of responding to our questions here at ABW. I guess I came to expect that type of service. Lately, though, I sense that many people (I know I am one) are disappointed with the amount of time he spends here, his choice of questions to answer and the degree to which he answers.

Perhaps this is the new Todd.
    Perhaps this is the new CJ business model.
    Perhaps we should have a vote to let Todd and CJ know what we expect or I guess, what we hope for.

Please vote.

Ron - 7 Days A Week Marketing
    Every day is a chance to learn something new and an opportunity to teach others.

Maybe Todd's new wife keeps him busy....

Connie Berg
    http://www.flamingoworld.com

ABW Ambassador
    I always thought is was absurd for him to come respond to all the negative comments about CJ...and the never ending "conpiracy theories" most so blatantly propose

You still can't figure out why he so vigorously jumped on the CJ v. Performics thread?

Possibly it hit a nerve?

Have you thought how CJ must be looking at all this? Is there that great of incentive to be active here...unless there was a real threat of affiliates leaving CJ for the competition?

Hi Connie

It was Connie who initially responded to the Performics thread. From what I've heard, she's one of the top earners in the affiliate world.

For such a statement from her saying there is a significant difference in tracking CJ v. Performics ... why wouldn't Tod speak up?

I don't think Tod wants to talk about parasites, or the other things he considers our "conspiracy theories"... Probably no more than he would listen to the Art Bell radio program on a regular basis.

Yes, he's got a new wife...drives nice motorbikes...and collects expensive wine. Maybe if he didn't know what real fun was, he'd be here more often.

ABW Ambassador
    Kelly...

You said:

quote:
    Yes, he's got a new wife...drives nice motorbikes...and collects expensive wine. Maybe if he didn't know what real fun was, he'd be here more often.

Beautiful. Absolutely beautiful.

Todd Crawford is a Vice President of one of the top two (or is it now three) affiliate networks in the world. Anyone who expects him to be here regularly as a participant really should allow some realism back into their life.

[edited to add: The reason I say top two networks is simply because for some years now, both Performics and BeFree have publically stated that they are NOT affiliate networks.]

Obstinatedon

Over the years, the United States has sent many of its fine young men and women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return is enough to bury those that did not return.

Anonymous

I don't see any reason why Todd should come here and much less any reason he should answer any questions. Expecting him here is a complete joke. Abestweb.com is not cj.com. abestweb.com does not sign Todds paycheck. Todd probably has one or two other affiliates out there in the world of affiliate marketing that deserve his attention just as much as we abestwebbers. I've even heard there were other affiliate marketing communities like abestweb though I don't have a need to find any.

quote:
    Anyone who expects him to be here regularly as a participant really should allow some realism back into their life.

Obstinatedon,

I do not disagree with you. I guess my point would be if he can't be here regularly, can't respond fairly to all posts written, partially answers a question, beats around the bush with his answers or does not follow up on a question....well, he should just not answer at all.

I've suggested to him in PM that if he does not have the time to do this properly, he should perhaps form a focus group; a group of affiliates he selects to meet once a month in a chat of sorts to discuss current issues of the month. He or they could then report on the information discussed and any outcomes that may come of it. His response...
    quote:
    Good idea but i don't have the bandwidth to organize something like this right now.

Now isn't this the same guy who criticized us for complaining about the CJ spider using up bandwidth?

Every day is a chance to learn something new and an opportunity to teach others.

remember how it used to was: the forum at CJU got so critical, justified or not, that it is no longer there.

I would hate to think that CJ's participation here depended on only happy thoughts and warm fuzzies being directed to them.

I think Someone should be paid by CJ to make a regular presence here before the threads get too vitriolic. Maybe someone with inside information, too.

just my .02.

_____
    She was only a stableman's daughter, but all the horsemen knew her.

Herb,

I suggested this very thing to CJ, that they have someone here assigned to relay information from affiliates to CJ and respond with CJ's feedback. I was told that it would be inapropriate for someone who does not represent CJ be a voice here. I guess I have to agree with that one.

CJ could certainly designate someone within the company to represent them to ABW. That person could advise CJ management about current topics and concerns, and provide CJ's official response here at ABW.

I understand Todd being too busy to visit ABW every day, and I certainly do not expect him to. However, when take it upon yourself to act as a messenger or provider of information, it looks bad when that information is inaccurate or incomplete, or when topics of importance to ABW members go ignored.

CJ canned their own message boards because they couldn't stand the heat. ABW is a thorn in their side, and they would most likely prefer that ABW just go away. So they monitor us and intervene to do damage control when they see fit.

Andy

"If you were born to be shot, you'll never be hung." -Unknown

Everyone (including Todd) would be best served by designating someone at CJ (who gives a crap), who will look in here at ABW. This person can help where they can (like Sarah from Linkshare), or be a little more empowered (like Scott) from BeFree.

It would obviously be great if someone responsible would come here and address every post with an "I'm on it!", and an answer in short order, but is that realistic?

I wish we had what amounts to an internal "Champion" or advocate at CJ.

Just wish it was something. It occurs to me, that after an initial Sh*tstorm, things would settle down to a workable level. If someone (like Todd) comes in here every week or two, he is simply going to get blasted by those folks that are upset - it will never be a constructive relationship - IMHO.

Fred

"Zymurgy's Law of Volunteer Labor: People are always available for work in the past tense."

I miss David Elam.
    Nuff said.

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

Todd's comments were very helpful.
    He should ignore the cage rattlers and just provide his responses to the professionals.
    Thanks Todd.

There are just far too many flaming rants against CJ for anyone to expect them to make regular appearances. Too many of them go round and round, and by the time they finally peter out, someone else starts a similar thread and the whole cycle begins again.

Todd seems like a decent guy. I'm sure he wants to do the right thing. But it seems like a poor allocation of scarce resources to spend significant time poring over the ABW boards to respond to rants and raves. As I've said before, it's tough to keep smiling if you keep getting kicked in the teeth.

Karl Smith
    phillyBurbs - Your Internet Starts Here

ABW Ambassador
    Frankly, I don't care. He used to be helpful and CJ used to be better than the rest, but those days are long gone.

I just started posting to this forum, but I have been reading the responses over the last several months.

I feel that CJ has an obligation (and should have motivation) to listen to its affiliates, especially such a voice as abestweb. But, in their defense, asking Todd to read all the negativity and find the appropriate posts to react too, is a bit much.

I was involved with a similar situation in the telecom industry. Agents had a message board that was created to post comments/questions for the carrier. The problem was, the message board became entirely too counter-productive to monitor and post replies. Although there were valid points that needed attention, finding them was difficult.

We established one point of contact (a moderator for the agents) that then emailed valid, well-defined questions/problems to the carrier. The message board was used to get all the agents input on a given issue, then, once completely explained, that comment/question/criticism was sent to the contact at the carrier.

We found this to work rather well.

Challenge is still the same, getting a CJ contact that is in position to answer and can make things happen. I believe I have seen Haiko get responses from people (although I am not suggesting that Haiko be responsible for this)

But, perhaps asking CJ to respond/reply to Abestweb's consolidated opinions/requests may be easier for them to accept and act on than reviewing these posts.

Just a thought

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Most ABWers have not been around this industry long enough to appreciate even hearing from Todd -Scott or a LS representative. Total silence was the rule before CJ made the bold move to boot out the CPC crowd and establish EPC. Too late now for they to have listened to me beg them to also give the phoney "lead" merchants and "incnet" Dupers to boot too.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

ABW Ambassador
    With the 1-800 number, now all you get is an opportunity to leave a message. With this forum, imo, Todd has decreased his activity here for the same reason they don't respond to phone calls, and as he tactfully has hinted in some of his posts; CJ WANTS EVERYONE TO USE THE HELP FEATURE IN THE ACCOUNT MANAGER!

Sorry for yelling, but I do believe that is what they are trying to say, including Todd. That way the responding to affiliate issues can be delegated away to his 'do boys', and a record is kept. Some of the posts here can be a liability trap just waiting to be sprung. I would imagine he has work to do. This, of course, is IMHO.

Big Chuck
    www.bigchuck.com
    **Web Consultants**
    Stay Tuned For Something BIG

ABW Ambassador
    CJ wants people to use their help feature so they can provide us with the same tired canned responses I've come to expect from Todd & a seemingly corrupt network...so why bother?

FreeCallz.com

Thank you all for your votes and comments. The votes are MOST interesting. Your comments are close to what I expected and in one way or another I have to say I agree with them all.

There does not seem to be any perfect way for people to communicate with CJ (or Todd with us). What bothers me and many others is that getting your message answered here by Todd seems to be a luck of the draw (getting it posted on the rare days he shows up) or complaining real loud about COC violations. I recently bumped a question for two weeks straight hoping Todd might visit us and be curious of what I was asking. He finally did, asked me what the question again was again (guess he did not want to look) and when I responded, he ignored it. It was a simple question, not setting him in any way, one that I was not getting answered correctly at AAQ. It's stuff like this that really is bad CJ/Publisher PR.

Communication is also a problem for the Advertisers (merchants). I spoke by phone this week to the AM of one of CJ's newer advertisers and was told that they have been frustated getting answers from CJ (and they have a direct line of communication).

Hopefully Todd and the powers to be at CJ can read our posts, realize communication is a big problem and that they really need to work on a solution.

The lack of responses here from CJ often appears as a lack of interest. I strongly urge those who would like better communication to send your suggestions to CJ, either by mail, email or Ask A Questions (or all three).

I plan to submit the following suggestions:

1. CJ selects an individual to be their ABW listener and and person who responds to our posts. Now to be fair, certain topics can be off limits (those that always end up in flame wars here). Perhaps they come here once a week, every Wednesday let's say, and comment only on the more active topics related to CJ. Responses to us are made and we have to wait until next Wednesday to get more answers. At least it is something we can depend on. Also, as they only respond to the more active topics, I know I would feel they are answering the hot issues, not just picking the ones on the day they happen to stop by ABW.

2. If Todd is to visit and correspond with us, perhaps he could follow up on the hot topics that our CJ rep has identified...either to clarify or expound on what has been said. Make it regular though Todd, if you plan to do this example. Can you set aside 30 minutes a week for us? Read and respond...come back next week...do it again. Don't keep going on one topic until you beat it to death. You'll never win. LOL

3. Improve the communication system at the CJ website. The current message box on my CJ home screen has been unchanged for weeks. Sometimes stuff is up there for over a month. First, put up the date the announcement was posted. Second, put a link at bottom of box for past announcements.

4. Minor things:
    a. When you send out deactivated advertisers, how hard is it to put their name in the email? You only do a few a week.
    b. How about a suggestion box at CJ for our wish lists for the next version of CJ? There were many areas of CJ 6.0 that had problems when it was released. Many suggestions placed here, some fixed, others seem ignored. How about an offical place where we can point out flaws and areas we would like improved. It's just another form of communication would find helpful.

These are just my ideas...I encourage the rest of you to speak up and communicate with CJ directly with your ideas. We have no guarantee our messages here are being heard, so do contact them directly.

Sorry to be so long winded. I just feel a company as big as CJ should be doing a better job of communicating with its affiliates (and merchants).

ABW Ambassador
    My suggestion is - Don't get obsessed with fixing CJ. When they want our help, they will ask.

You can't expect Todd to get involved in every argument or thread about CJ. Those who follow GoogleGuy's posts at Webmasterworld will understand.. it's useful to CJ to monitor affiliates' discussions and issues and to offer information when necessary.

I have to say though I object to the personal angle that complaints about Todd (and other liaisons elsewhere) tend to have. Please try to show some respect if you want want to maintain a useful dialog. The last thing we want is for Todd and CJ to not bother interacting because they're continually getting flamed.

(Points at moderator tag).

________
    All your commission are belong to us.
    Check out the latest Homeland Security press releases.

[Clicks Close thread button ]

Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread