I figured out I would give another affiliate network a try on top of CJ, and Linkshare came into my mind. Then I read this from one of the sites in the cyber world:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Note: When creating links by Linksynergy on LinkShare, don't use Microsoft Frontpage! It changes "&" into "&amp;" which would normally be ok, but in this case means that although the links seem to work, you don't get paid!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can anyone verify whether or not this is true?

As well, does Linkshare lump the commissions like CJ, or do the affiliates get paid by individual merchants?

Thanks in advance!

[ 02-02-2002: Message edited by: AT ]

Hi AT,

FWIW, I always change all my &amp; back to & using a text editor (EditPlus) before uploading, just to be safe. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

And LinkShare pays individually, unlike CJ.

Cheers,
    TianTian

[Wow, this UBB actually does the reverse of FrontPage!]

[ 02-02-2002: Message edited by: TianTian ]

AT, Ive been with Linkshare for a long time and never had any problem with the coding there. The way I do it in Frontpage for all my link coding is to copy it and paste it. I click on in Frontpage 2000

insert-advanced-html

I've used express also with no problems. If you do that and then upload your page, check the source and you should see that nothing was changed. Frontpage may add coding something like

< !--webbot bot="HTMLMarkup" startspan -->

Which will keep the code from being changed.

I too like LinkShare. It took a while, but after being a member for a year, I've finally found the right combinations that are producing results and checks.

I used to use the HTML Markup feature, but I didn't like the fact that I got question marks instead of actual results when I was in Normal view.

What I do is:

1. Copy the code into my clipboard.
    2. Place my cursor where I want the
    code in Normal tab view.
    3. Click the HTML tab.
    4. Paste (Ctrl-V) the code where the
    cursor is.
    5. Return to Normal view and see the
    results of my efforts.

I also discovered when I placed banners which I wanted to be centered on the page, that when I looked at them in Netscape they were always left-justified. I finally figured out that if I first insert and center a 1x1 table, and then place the code inside the table, that it centers when viewing in Netscape.

I also discovered a neat trick for placing affiliate links on my site, which I posted at Amazon's discussion board before I found Abestweb. It's at:

Keeping Track of Links on Your Site

Tracy

Great tip, Tracy! Thanks for sharing!

ABW Ambassador
    I always thought the problem lie in the amp; that fp inserted after the ?...

TianTian, Packy and Tracy - Thank you for the tips!

After the "try & error" over the past year, I just want to be safe. Although I have been doing the affiliate thing for a little less than a year, it feels like a life-time long. From not knowing what I was doing to producing checks. Still, I don't know exactly what works and what doesn't. All I have been doing is to put out what I like to see on my site and keep the database clean.

I'm glad that I've asked the question. It's about time to play with those FrontPage options that have been ignored all this time.

Again, thank you all!!

Hey, MsMarySunshine, that's what my original post was supposed to show. But I failed to have it shown as "amp+&+;" even I went to edit. :rolleyes:

fyi .. The global change is a lot easier to do in FrontPage 2002

Affiliate Network Rep
    Thanks everyone for answering this one. I am a little late to the party and still trying to catch up until we can assign this to someone in LinkShare. Looks like you got your answer but I would also like to point you to the FAQ area where I know we cover some of the stranger things frotpage does.

Best regards,
    Stephen

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Spiderman:
    fyi .. The global change is a lot easier to do in FrontPage 2002<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    And from one who has had to go back and fix all his codes in the past because of the amp; being added,I ask, Do you at Linkshare know how far buried you have this in your info provided to affiliates???
    If it is such an issue of affiliates getting paid because of the amp; issue why is it not more prominent or added to your page templates where the codes are generated? Why not list it right under the table that shows how to open link in new windows???
    How many sales have been misguided and not credited to affiliates over time due to this issue.

Affiliate Network Rep
    Dear walleye warrior,

I am not sure exactly what you mean. If you got to our help section and search under frontpage all the documents on solving this problem come right up. It took me all but two seconds to get the information. Let me know if I am missing something.

Steve

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by walleye warrior:
    And from one who has had to go back and fix all his codes in the past because of the amp; being added,I ask, Do you at Linkshare know how far buried you have this in your info provided to affiliates???
    If it is such an issue of affiliates getting paid because of the amp; issue why is it not more prominent or added to your page templates where the codes are generated? Why not list it right under the table that shows how to open link in new windows???
    How many sales have been misguided and not credited to affiliates over time due to this issue.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    Maybe I could have explained it further.

I am probably right in assuming that people will use front page not knowing that it corrupts code. (I happened to be one of them and surely not the only one)I have since updated all the links. So it will and does happen
    There is no way every single user is going to go look for specifics on Front Page.
    I was none to pleased but I changed my codes. How many other people may run in to the same problem and not know about it???? Not a great way to drum up confidence in the program finding out after the fact. Wouldnt it help your affiliates be more comfortable with LS if the info was on the create links page.
    When I went to create a link there is 3/4 of a page of blank space under the table to open up new pages on a click.
    I would consider this a major issue for affiliates if they were't aware of codig problems that they may not get credited with a sale because of corrupt codes. So why not use that blank space to also have a warning or info on codes being changed. Can you also elaborate please.What happens on these orders that code is wrong and you can not track who it was from. Does LS still get their cut and only the affiliate is out of commissions.

Affiliate Network Rep
    Dear walleye warrior,

Thanks for the clarification of your questions. It is clear that you have chosen to take this bug up with us rather then with Microsoft (the maker of the tool) and I can understand that seeing as Bill probably would not bother answering this. Anyway, we have made the decision that if we had to list fixes to bugs that existed in all the web development tools on our network we would not have the space to provide our service. In addition, this is not a bug with the way LinkShare works, but a bug that affects all providers and thus a pretty well know error. It is for these reasons that we have chosen to build out the FAQ's as the best way to deal with this and similar issues.

As for your question regarding whether we make money on this, let me make this clear....commissionable transactions are where we make our money so if you are trying to subtlety say that we like this please correct your general assumptions.

Steve

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread