I haven't received a 1099 from Linkshare or from any individual merchant in Linkshare. I am wondering when or if it will be sent to me.

Everyone else got one?

Anyone have any answers?

Thank you in advance,

ivandollar

The 1099 threshold is $600 -- i.e., merchants are supposed to send you a 1099 if they paid you more than $600 in a calendar year. Below $600, it's up to them. Some do, some don't.

Even with the 1/31 deadline, some companies are late in mailing these. I would give it until 3/1, and then assume that you're not going to get any. And I would also assume that any merchant that paid you more than $600 was not going to file a report with the IRS, if they didn't send you a 1099.

Thanks Tom. Yeah, I have had a lot of merchants who paid us many multiples of $600 over the year, but they have not sent 1099s. After several years of this happening I am not surprised.

But I was under the impression that Linkshare sent out one 1099 to cover all their merchants (or at least the ones that have Linkshare issue their checks). I have heard other people getting 1099s from Linkshare. I earned over 10k last year from just one Linkshare merchant so I am surprised I haven't got anything.

ABW Ambassador
    Actually the deadline is February 28th. So maybe give it until March 5th or so. I received my 1099 from Linkshare about a month ago.

I hired an accounting firm to do my taxes because it's just too complicated for me to deal with right now. Plus I found out from being on the boards that it is a good thing to have an accountant. Especially when it comes to verifying your income etc. For instance, when I went to purchase my new house and apply for a mortgage they wanted a letter from my accountant stating how long I'd been in business. It just makes things look more legit and professional I think.

Companies who pay you more than $600 are supposed to send a 1099. None of the ones we work with have (except CJ). I like the 1099s because it verifies income, which I need to buy a new house next year. If they don't send one, then they are not reporting the income to the IRS. You don't have to pay taxes on it, but you also don't have income verification. It's a double-edged sword.

Actually, the February 28th deadline is for the employer/payor to file a copy of the 1099 with the IRS. The January 31st deadline is for the employer/payor to furnish the 1099 to the person who received the income in the prior year. So, theoretically at least, we should all receive our 1099's by 1/31.

Linkshare apparently does send out consolidated 1099's. Mine was mailed on 1/21/02, and reflects all Linkshare payments for 2001.

If you don't have a 1099 by the end of February, it's a good bet that Linkshare won't be sending you one.

The deadline for mailing 1099's to individuals is the same as W2's; it's January 31st. The Febraury 28th deadline is the deadline for the issuers to send the IRS their copies.

I received my consolidated Linkshare 1099 the third week in January. The LS merchants who pay directly each sent me individual 1099's around the same time.

Question; are you a new LS member? If so, they might need your signed W9 form. I would contact them asap.

On the other hand, you could take the risk...
    If they made an error and never filed yours then the IRS may not know about that income. However, it's it is lost in the mail, that's another can of worms.

I wonder if there is a way that the IRS can verify which 1099's they received once the 2/28 deadline passes.

Affiliate Network Rep
    Dear ivandollar,

Thank you for your post. I am not sure why you have not gotten a 1099. We have already mailed them out some time ago. Please email directly if you have not already gotten it. I can see this posting was from a bit ago.

Stephen

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ivandollar:
    I haven't received a 1099 from Linkshare or from any individual merchant in Linkshare. I am wondering when or if it will be sent to me.

Everyone else got one?

Anyone have any answers?

Thank you in advance,

ivandollar
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

anyone knows if we have to report affiliate income from the last month or quarter of 2001, the 1099 forms I got didn't include them.

Also, what kind of deductibles can we write in for. Ex: $1000 computer that I use to update webpaegs? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    You only have to report income from money actually received in 2001. If you did not get your 1099s then I'm assuming they are not coming - the deadline was February 28th. My accountant wrote off the following:

Office supplies such as paper, computer software, computer equipment and inkjets, etc.,

Books - Business Related
    Domain Hosting Cost
    Domain Registration Cost

Advertising Cost Such as:
    >>Search Engine Submission Cost
    >>Pay Per Click Engine Cost

Internet Access Cost
    Seperate Phone Line Cost
    Home Owners Insurance Cost - You get % off
    Rent or Mortgage Cost - You get % off
    Electric Bill Cost - You get % off

If I think of more, I'll let you know.

Even if you don't get a 1099 from a merchant, report the income no matter how small. The small ones can add up to a lot and if you're audited, the IRS will use your bank statements, etc. to check you out.

Just writing this because someone here said
    If they don't send one, they are not reporting the income to the IRS and you don't have to pay taxes on it. That's wrong and could get you in trouble in an audit.

Totter

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Totter:
    Even if you don't get a 1099 from a merchant, report the income no matter how small. The small ones can add up to a lot and if you're audited, the IRS will use your bank statements, etc. to check you out.

Just writing this because someone here said
    If they don't send one, they are not reporting the income to the IRS and you don't have to pay taxes on it. That's wrong and could get you in trouble in an audit.

Totter
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with Totter - just because income isn't reported on a 1099/to the IRS doesn't mean that it's not taxable income... it just means if you don't report it as such you're cheating the gov't [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

As far as home office deductions, the IRS is very strict about some of their guidelines and they do have a publication available that outlines what and how you can deduct for home office expenses...

ABW Ambassador
    For lots of tax info, these Eva Rosenberg has a great newsletter and helpful web site: TaxMamma

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread