I get the sense that there aren't many golf publishers here in the forum and yet I still wanted to do the only thing I can do other than send an email to the advertiser, (which I have), namely, to reciprocate what I believe is contentious, and disengenuous behavior, directed at publishers, by reducing the cookie duration to 1 flipping day.

The sad part is that there aren't any golf advertisers that sell brand name clubs i.e. Golf Gods, TGW, etc., that have a decent cookie duration. Only the clone companies, or lesser known manufucturers like PineMeadow, and GigaGolf.Com. I know GigaGolf is a Linkshare advertiser, and therefore I don't want to stray too far off of the (CJ) topic however kudos to them for actually increasing their commissions, and maintaining their cookie duration as well as PineMeadows continued understanding of their important relationship with publishers as a factor in their growth and success.

Companies like Best Value Golf, Inc. and the much mentioned (maligned), Global Sports network of advertisers, deserve the posts they get. Ticks me off on principle alone for taking advantage of publishers to such a degree...

Jonathon Palbicke
    Krooked Stix Pro Shop
    KrookedStix.Com
    post@krookedstix.com

Jonathon Palbicke
    Webmaster
    www.krookedstix.com
    Webmaster@krookedstix.com
    Krooked Stix, Inc.
    It's all golf baby!

Johathon:
    As someone who loves golf (and is patently terrible at it) and has considered a "hobby" golf site, I agree. It has been mentioned elsewhere that big ticket golf items (clubs, bags, etc.) are rarely impulse buys. One would expect a user to take some time between intially seeing the product and buying it. I can't image picking up a set of Nike irons with graphite shafts without telling my wife that our AMEX is going to have a big charge on it!

Your points are well put.

Here's to my first hole-in-one.

Karl Smith
    phillyBurbs - Your Internet Starts Here

15 years and counting
    You're not alone, NotKrooked. I feel your pain. I play golf and I sell golf equipment.
    Nothing good to say about Golf Gods. 5 minutes after receiving their email, I told them what I was thinking. They were not even able to explain why they did it. Just greed, bad management... The busy season is coming, they are thinking they don't need us anymore. I was doing great with them, but with 1 day cookie, they are gone from my web sites. It's not an impulse buy, 7 days was the minimum acceptable.
    Stay away from Global Sports, they don't keep any inventory and your links will end up with no product in stock and they are the leader for 1 day cookie, or maybe it's just a session cookie. By the way, Welcome here.

It's not the big that eat the small... it's the fast that eat the slow. Jennings & Haughton

Yep, fully agree. As soon as I find the time, GolfGods gets the crappy placements at my site. Glad I'd just taken them off my golden egg anyway.

But for those of us pushing golf equipment, there's still the problem of finding a decent merchant program able to offer brand items.

Like Jonathon says, PMG and GigaGolf are great - but they only sell clone clubs really.

I tried Golftraders.net at SAS but they converted badly for me. Word on the streets is that it's difficult for the independents to compete with Edwin Watts, Golfsmith and TGW. And only TGW has an aff prog, and not the best one in the world at that.

15 years and counting
    I'm buying my own equipment from Edwin Watts in Orlando, they are great, good products, good service. I've been talking to them to start an affiliate program. May be if more of us ...
    Edwin Watts

It's not the big that eat the small... it's the fast that eat the slow. Jennings & Haughton

The confirmation is helpful.

Incidentally, I am going to customize my GolfTraders.Net links, and put up a bunch of specific product links, description, pricing, etc.,.

They do have a nice inventory of brand name selections going for them.

Shareasale is down and I can't remember their cookie duration but I am sure it is decent so I will reward them for at least trying and see what happens.

Opps, forgot I created a sig file so sorry for the redundancy the first post. The hammer is on my own head.

Jonathon Palbicke
    Webmaster
    www.krookedstix.com
    Krooked Stix, Inc.
    It's all golf baby!

quote:
    Your points are well put.

Hi NotKrooked

I agree with PhillyBurbs, you wrote a well-worded and intelligent post. You will be a welcome addition to these boards. I'm getting tired of basically carrying all the conversations here.

Turkey:
    If you do say so yourself

Karl Smith

ABW Ambassador
    http://golfsmith.com/ new merchant at CJ
    Action Referral Period 30 day(s)
    Action Referral Occurrences Unlimited
    Commission 5.00%

"Nothing focuses the mind better than the constant sight of a competitor who wants to wipe you off the map."
    --Wayne Calloway

I could get quite excited by this news. Although 5% is lame - even TGW gives you 7%. But then, unlimited "action referral occurences"...anyway good news for golf affiliates. Might also light a fire under TGW to improve their cookie duration etc.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I signed up with Golfsmith too and will put up some links. TGW gets very few creatives from me as they have refused to eliminate their "mouse trap" script on all affiliate traffic to their site. I don't sent one way traffic to greedy merchnats.

Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

Moron question:
    What is a mousetrap script?

Karl Smith

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Philly ...a "mouse trap" script is one that disables the browsers "back" button so TGW can eliminate the referral shopper returning to the referrers site. They learned this from Linkshare who uses this to capture all links going to disabled merchants praying shoppers want to be affiliates....ROLMAO

Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

Signed up for GolfSmith also.

If they hold up the unlimited occurrences and 30 day cookie for a while, I can live with the 5% comish. So in time we shall see...

Also, Louis over at GolfGods.Com responded to my rather pointed message. To his credit, in the past, he has always gotten back to me.

He said that they are going to revise their program and to paraphrase, said, 'you should be very pleased'. Talked about reasons for the temporary one day cookie, which I won't bother to repeat.

I am however, prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt since, as I mentioned, he has always responded to any emails, including the last, which was a bit harsh. Bottom line is an attractive agreement anyways.

Jonathon Palbicke
    Webmaster
    www.krookedstix.com
    Krooked Stix, Inc.
    It's all golf baby!

Ecom:
    /begin moron reply/
    Can't you just set the link to "target=_blank" so it opens in a new window? Would that "bypass" the mousetrap?
    /end moron reply/
    thanks for your patience!

Karl Smith

GolfSmith formula: No image redirect capability = no sales = no motivation/effort on my part...

Too Bad

Jonathon Palbicke
    Webmaster
    www.krookedstix.com
    Krooked Stix, Inc.
    It's all golf baby!

I meant URL redirect... Sorry bout that...

Jonathon Palbicke
    Webmaster
    www.krookedstix.com
    Krooked Stix, Inc.
    It's all golf baby!

15 years and counting
    Same here, with no direct product pages I have no interest in their program.

ABW Ambassador
    Edwin Watts now has an affiliate program at Performics 60 day cookie

"Nothing focuses the mind better than the constant sight of a competitor who wants to wipe you off the map."
    --Wayne Calloway

Outstanding if the ability to create product links is present.

I don't know anything about Performics, however it looks like after a quick peruse of the posts/threads in the Performics section, that someone had problems creating individual links so that must mean a hearty thumbs up to my own, now, rhetorical question, hehe...

Ok, so I am talking to myself now... :-)

Anyway, time to sign up...

Jonathon Palbicke
    Webmaster
    www.krookedstix.com
    Krooked Stix, Inc.
    It's all golf baby!

Also, if any of the Golf Publishers who read this thread caught a glimpse of another post started by Mr. NotKrooked himself, then you know who Merchant X is.

Jonathon Palbicke
    Webmaster
    www.krookedstix.com
    Krooked Stix, Inc.
    It's all golf baby!

Sorry, one more...

I have been dealing with Thomas Golf personally for some time and they are pretty nice people. They have an in-house affiliate program with what I think is a 21 day cookie. You can create individual links, and the pricing for their stuff is very fair.

They have also gotten some good product reviews from the likes of Golf Gear Review and Golf Club Review...

I will let you all know if any sales trickle in...

Jonathon Palbicke
    Webmaster
    www.krookedstix.com
    Krooked Stix, Inc.
    It's all golf baby!

So it sounds like there are two new programs worth investigating?

BTW - let me take this opportunity to say I actually got in a round of golf and had a great score - for me, anyway! Bonus - first round with my new lob wedge. Woo hoo!

Karl Smith

There is a reason name brand golf clubs are not well represented in affiliate marketing channels - the name brand golf club manufacturers don't sell direct, they only sell through retailers. If they sold direct, their brick and mortar retailers would revolt - not to mention it would destroy their pro shop business.

So, they sell through Retailers who then try to resell via sites and affiliates. Unfortunately, retailers don't have the gross margin available to pay a decent affiliate commission, have extended cookies and also have a profitable business model. The direct product gross profit margin to retailers for name brand clubs is traditionally only 15-25%. Therefore, they give affiliates 1 day cookies and hope they drive enough traffic that comes back the next day to allow them to continue the affiliate marketing channel as a means of advertising. Their goal is to have a very small conversion actually come from the affiliates.

On the other hand, PinemeadowGolf and Giga are manufacturers who are using affiliates as their retailers – there is no middle man layer. So, they can pay a higher commission and have longer cookies.

Before knocking the legitimate knock-off companies, understand the PC Clone analogy and you will see why they are succeeding on the web, whereas the name brands are not. There are some very big sales numbers occurring for those affiliates that understand this business model and then have taken the time to market accordingly.

Both Pinemeadow and Giga appear to have dealt effectively with the ebates, et al issue (albeit in different ways – Giga by leaving CJ and going to LS; Pinemeadow, by creating an innovative technology fix that puts all ebates/incentive sites in a separate world from their nonincentive affiliates).

I for one am am sure not Knocking the Knockoff Kings, hehe, i.e. PineMeadow, GigaGolf, and perhaps soon, GolfKnockoff.com, ThomasGolf.Com (not really a knockoff company, but they build their own, and thusly have higher margins), for the very reasons you stated.

PineMeadow is prominently displayed on page 1 in our pro shop, all over our price comparison engine, and I am hanging in there with GigaGolf until they figure out how to convert, mostly because I like their former affiliate manager's (Mark) stand on para(site)ware. We have made sales with Thomas Golf in the first month...

Clones have made great quality control improvements lately, and when buyers figure that out, there is going to be some serious stress on the name brand peddlers and perhaps the manufacturers themselves. Well maybe, maybe not, but it sure sounded good... :-) It holds true on the net for sure as pounder pointed out.

Besides, long, unlimited cookies... (Pinemeadow - GigaGolf, well not sure about the unlimited part with GigaGolf), no 800 number for PineMeadow, and stands against the vermin...

What's not to like about that???

But here is what I don't understand... How would an e-tailer not benefit from unlimited sales from our site if each buyer were going to purchase somewhere else, no matter how skinny the margin???

I guess that is not the dynamic, therefore not a valid argument...

Jonathon Palbicke
    Webmaster
    www.krookedstix.com
    Krooked Stix, Inc.
    It's all golf baby!

26. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread