By the time a merchant and/or LinkShare gets around to sending you your money you will have most likely forgotten about it. Then one day 3 to 6 months down the road you go to your mailbox and POW, it's Christmas all over again. That is of couse if you are lucky enough to hit program minimums. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Core

Affiliate Manager
    Actually, I believe that LinkShare sends out checks as soon as the Merchant compensates them. So, if you are getting checks from some Merchants a bit late, in theory, that is the fault of the Merchant, not LinkShare.

Overstock.com goes to great lengths to ensure that payments are made regularly each month, so it's not all Merchants that pay when they feel like it.

There are those of us who care... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

If you aren't already in Overstock's Affiliate Program at LinkShare, we would love to have you!

Thanks,

ABW Ambassador
    Shawn, I don't think Core was talking about whether merchants pay on time -- it's the whole "consolidated check" issue. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

For example, in April, at CJ, I had 48 merchants with revenues under $50 (a common minimum payout at LS).

And I'll get paid for them in May.

If that had been LS, I wouldn't be getting paid for them until I made the 48 separate minimums.

Which is why I'll always feature CJ merchants over Linkshare. I have a handful of GREAT merchants at LS, but I only use LS merchants where I KNOW I can sell the product or because someone else has recommended the merchant to me.

For me, it's not that there is anything unscrupulous at LS, it's just the lack of a consolidated payment.

ABW Ambassador
    Of course, I could be wrong...

Reviewing my stats, I have more than one merchant who is a couple months in arrears... at CJ, they'd have been terminated. At LS? The beat goes on and there's no real incentive for them to pay on time -- network termination does seem to be effective incentive for most merchants at CJ.

Actually...

I was referring to both consolidated checks as well as late payments.

Shawn - Linkshare usually "sits" on the money for at least two weeks before doing anything about the money sent to them by a merchant. This is just my experience being a linkshare affiliate.

Core

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>For me, it's not that there is anything unscrupulous at LS, it's just the lack of a consolidated payment. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There has been talk about consolidated payments becoming a reality on LS. I sure hope that becomes the case. I am finding more and more LS merchants I want to promote; whose product lines are an excellent fit for some of my projects.

With their recent genuine efforts to stamp out scum, the only apprehension I have when deciding whether to select an LS merchant vs CJ merchant is the lack of consolidation; because I am not yet at the point where I can afford to float multiple minimums.

Affiliate Manager
    Yes, I've heard as well that LinkShare is consolidating checks. I can't wait till that happens. A few questions, if you don't mind...

As an affiliate in LinkShare, if I have 5 Merchants all with a $25 minimum, and I make $100 on 4 of them and $10 on the other one, all in the same month, then don't you get 4 seperate checks that month for $100 each? Doesn't the $10 for the one Merchant carry over to the next month and the process starts all over again?

Sorry, just trying to understand this a bit better...

Shawn, yup that is how it works!!! You will get 4 seperate checks for the merchants that you met the minimum at. Buttt, You won't get them that month and probably not the mext month for most merchants. Ummmmm, maybe not even the next month. :eek:

Thats why it is important for the merchant to make sure the payment is made promptly in order to retain their affiliates. This is what our biggest ***** is about with company's that don't consolidate as in LinkShare.

If Linkshare consolidated, I would be more willing to give a lot more of their merchants a chance because I know whether i make lets say $3.00 from a merchant in a month I am still going to be paid that. If all the above 5 merchants you mentioned were on cosolidated payments then we would be getting one check for 410.00.

Its not so much the getting one check as it is us trying different merchants where we might only make a few dollars a month with. If I have a merchant like that and the minimum is $50.00 it would take forever to get paid. Therefore we drop the merchant and loose the few bucks. A few bucks isn't alot but as time goes by all the merchants add up. JMO

ABW Ambassador
    Yep, Shawn, that's it.

To make the ISSUE a bit clearer -- from April I have over $1,000 (revenue) tied up in "under $50" increments at CJ. About $20 of the same at LS.

The discrepancy is not an accident. Because at CJ the money is not "tied-up", it will be in my next check. At LS? Who knows, might not be until the next major shopping holiday.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>from April I have over $1,000 (revenue) tied up in "under $50" increments at CJ. About $20 of the same at LS<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You mean the other way around don't you Cedric?

ABW Ambassador
    I don't think so. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

In April, I have close to 50 merchants in CJ with sales under $50 -- totalling about $1000. At LS, I have a handful of merchants with sales under $50 totalling about $20.

I may be saying something in a confusing manner, lol, but I don't think I have it backwards...

yeah - it was the way you said it ... LOL because the money at CJ really *isn't* tied up but the money at Linkshare *is*.

The point is, if you had $1000 in under- $50 increments at LinkShare (which is concievable but I'm glad it's not the case) you'd not be getting paid because of the non-consolidation, whereas at CJ you are. I guess that is what I thought you were saying.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> LOL because the money at CJ really *isn't* tied up but the money at Linkshare *is*.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I think I actually said that in my original message. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

it was the way it reads, or the way I thought it read ... plus the fact I need some sleep LOL [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

What I love most about Linkshare is the fact its off my site.

I

ABW Ambassador
    >>plus the fact I need some sleep LOL

It's entirely possible that my own lack of sleep made my original message difficult to read. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    "What I love most about Linkshare is the fact its off my site.~Icicle"

DITTO!

What I like most is LinkShare converts at a much higher rate than the crooks at CJ. No problems getting paid either.

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread