I am trying to apply to LLBean to become and affiliate but I cannot find them on Linkshare. Does anyone know why? I have good traffic, etc. Thanks.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Check the parasite merchant list as well as my posted list of non performing merchants over a 2 year period. LL Bean are on both so you'd best hope your high traffic doesn't have parasitewarez installed.

Where are these lists? And so are you saying you would not deal with LLBean?

I myself have done quite well with LLBean.
    I do know that more merchants show up if you check more boxes in your account section for your site categories. Just make sure you don't check the one saying you have adult content!

One thing about some of the Linkshare merchants troubles me though:
    I apply for and am turned down for some merchants, such as RedEnvelope, Domestications, JCPenneys. Now I have a quality site with very good traffic, updated daily. I am not just some wanna be affiliate.
    Yet I see some sites, that are way out of date, hardly updated that are basically just banner farms that get accepted into these programs. I cannot figure out the reasoning!

Why would some crappy site get accepted yet I don't? Any insight

ABW Ambassador
    I wonder if this is the problem ccme is experiencing: if you happened to join LinkShare through a merchant's link, that merchant is then able to block "competing" merchants so they don't show up in your account. I joined LinkShare through a link on Lands' End, and because of that there are a number of other merchants -- L L Bean is one of them -- that are effectively invisible to me. I haven't gotten around to setting up a different LinkShare account to get around that, but it's on my list of "things I oughtta do one of these days." I suspect my Canadian address causes similar blocking in a few cases, too.

Yes! I applied through Lands End also!

ABW Ambassador
    Connie, I was also turned down by one of the LS merchants you mentioned (a month after applying), and after cussing a bit (they're on every dead banner farm that exists), I immediately reapplied. After waiting another month, I was accepted.

I don't really have any insight to why they do things the way they do, but I found reapplying sometimes works.

Please don't ask me to explain why it works -- I have no clue other than to think the Affiliate Managers are sitting on the other side of the computer flipping a coin.

ABW Ambassador LinkShare Moderator's Avatar
    Hi All -

ccme - If you have applied for The LinkShare Network directly from a merchant site, some merchant programs may be unavailable for you to join because some merchants will "block" their competitors in the Join Programs area of those affiliate that register at their merchant website. This does not happen frequently, but it is the case with LandsÂ’ End and LL Bean. As buckworks.com mentioned, you can choose to register another affiliate account at www.linkshare.com to access all merchant programs.

Connie - Again, have you had the opportunity to contact those merchants that did not accept you into their program to find out their reason for doing so? In most cases, you will have the option of emailing the merchant for more information when your application is rejected. If you have not contacted them and would like further information, I will see what information I can gather for you.

Best,
    Sarah

Hi Sarah - Thank you for the reply - I set up a new Linkshare account and still can not see LLBean. Please help!

ABW Ambassador
    I've been turned down for the same sites. The reason they do this is if you have a coupon code site or one with discounts or features merchants that have outlets you will be turned downed. A site like buckworks would have a better chance at getting someone like red envelope.

I can't see L.L. Bean either and I have 3 linkshare accounts thanks to various merchants that automatically signed me up when they switched from different places such as BeFree.

Don't even waste your time applying to LL Bean. Over 2 years 231,000 impressions 1566 clicks =ZERO SALES. The idiots cancelled my account due to non performance. They were the ones who didn't perform. :mad:

ABW Ambassador
    A also take exception to Connie on some of her posts talking about "wannabe affiliates" and "crappy sites" when i notice on her site some codes from others sites, codes meant specifically for that site.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by EcomCity.com:
    Don't even waste your time applying to LL Bean. Over 2 years 231,000 impressions 1566 clicks =ZERO SALES. The idiots cancelled my account due to non performance. They were the ones who didn't perform. :mad:<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just because a merchant didn't convert for you does not make that merchant a waste of time. Others have clearly stated they've done quite well with them.

What works for one site does not always work for the next site, it's all trial and error in the end until you find a mix that works for you.

I personally have had absolutely NO success with Overstock and I am using all the promotional materials that Shawn has been making available to us. So should I deem them a waste of time because of all the impressions and clicks I've sent to them that they've been unable to convert?

Several times I have been able to reapply to merchants who turned me down and been accepted. Other times, once rejected the merchant no longer shows up in my choices of programs to join. I have contacted merchants and they give me no reason other than I don't meet the criteria they have for choosing affiliates.

As for me posting coupons and codes intended for other sites, many times it is not me, but the site the code is intended for that gets the credit for the sale using the coupon. I have never had a complaint yet from another site, it gives them a sale they might not have otherwise gotten, gets their name out there, and my visitors are happy because I offered them all the savings choices I could find to offer them. A win - win situation.

As for wannabe affiliates, I mean those who figure you can put up affiliate links, do nothing more and expect to make money. They don't understand you have to promote your site to get traffic to your site before you can make any sales and commissions. And sometimes they are the first to complain about the merchants. The merchants don't bring the traffic to affiliates, the affiliates bring traffic to the merchant.

The same goes for banner farms. You can't put up a bunch of banners and do nothing else and expect sales.

I did not mean to offend any hard working site owners, I just get tired of complainers who want to make money without any effort and put the blame on merchants.

Connie

ABW Ambassador
    >>As for me posting coupons and codes intended for other sites, many times it is not me,<<

Many times? What about the other times?

If I have an exclusive offer with a merchant, that adds value to MY site. If a bunch of other sites go sniping that code, the value goes down for my site. Why should you benefit in ANY way from an exclusive offer made to my site? And yes, just offering the coupon is a benefit to your site.

And more importantly, why should you be allowed to detract from the value given to MY site?

Nice of Connie to push coupon sales to others. I'm sure the effort to find and post manually coupons makes for many hours of work. Problem is that every scumware -parasite pops up their coupons over hers to further dwindle her sales. They don't lift a finger to get daily autoloads from the big 3 networks.

Now setting up LL Bean within my 5 apparel sections and seasonal specials page resulted in no sales. Had they converted like some other highend apparel competitors they'd have gotten 3 times the traffic. Now they get nothing since I'm not in the branding business. Everyone of those clicks 1566 clicks was generated from my apparel sportswear pages so moral of the story is full retail priced merchants suck for conversions on the web. People like me who care about the fact web shoppers seek real name brand bargains online pick the outlet shops or that section of major branded merchants. Merchants who don't factor in affiliate freindly and shopper friendly landing pages need to just look for cheap CPM deals.

ABW Ambassador LinkShare Moderator's Avatar
    Hi ccme,

LLBean does continue to maintain an affiliate program in the LinkShare Network. However, it appears that LLBean has decided to no longer make their program available in the Join Programs area for open application, and instead works with affiliates on a case-by-case basis. If you're interested in working with them, please send me an email at abw@linkshare.com and I will provide a means of contacting them with your request.

Thanks,
    Sarah

ABW Ambassador
    What commission do they pay, and how long are their cookies?

Sarah;
    Wasn't this the exact move made by Martha Stewert and other prominent LS merchants just before they stopped paying all network fees and affiliate commissions? The moment your install a network performance stat like EPC this will cease to be an issue. Like the stock market when the EPC drops below a buck the exchange takes second looks as to the viability of the company to protect investors. We affiliates are your investors, since only our hard pre-sell work results in traffic figures your able to sell to merchants as an asset.

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread