I run a couple of sites, and would prefer to use the same tracking URLs on all of these sites. I realize that LS allows you to use the sub-affiliate code, but due to some restrictions on my end, I would prefer to NOT do this.

When I read the Linkshare agreement a while back, I know it stated that you could post your generated links on any sites you manage.

Does anyone know if posting the same links on different URLs affects the Linkshare tracking at all? Is it necessary ot use sub-affiliate ids to maintain proper tracking, or is this only if you want to see the reports broken out per site? I was hoping someone could confirm with me that utilizing the exact same links would not create any tracking issues.

Thanks in advance.

wtjpm

To track your "sales" from different webpages or websites, use the same links on all, but add the "u1" parameter to your link... I add it after the "SUBID=0"

EXAMPLE:
    ...&SUBID=0&u1=site01"> for another site,
    ...&SUBID=0&u1=site02"> etc.

note that the "site01" can be any name or any combination of letters and numbers.

To retrieve/download this info in Excel spreadsheet format, use the following link, replacing the begin date, end date, YOURLSID and LSPASSWORD
    http://www.linkshare.com/areport/u1f...cpi=LSPASSWORD

I use this field over about 6 different websites to tell where the SALE link came from. I cannot find a report that shows impressions and CTRs, but there may be one. You can read more about the member id field at LinkShare website.

Also, this report more closely reflects the transactions in your monthly checks. It shows the sale "processed" date which is normally the date used in paying commissions. The reports at Linkshare's website reflect the original sales date, so the reports may not match your check.

Jim in Texas, Good Luck [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

[ 07-19-2002: Message edited by: jimbet7 ]

Jim-

Thanks. What if I don't want to use any differences in the codes and keep them all identical - using the main code generzated by LS for all of my various URLs. No tracking problems whatsoever?

stjpm

The generated Links by LS will work on any webpage, and will track IMs, CTRs and Sales. However, all reports will point to the Domain/URL that you registered with - no further breakout of data.

The "u1" parameter is useful only if you want to know which site is generating sales. I actually like the report and the info it gives. Maybe I am a "bean counter" after all. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Jim in Texas [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    Linkshare seems to track clicks okay...I keep get my sub ids mixed up. The big question is if Linkshare merchants will refuse commissions if don't have the right sub id, or don't have the URL listed as one of your sub affiliates?

I know that I'd get ticked if I found out an affiliate was using links on a site I did not approve.

ABW Ambassador LinkShare Moderator's Avatar
    Hi wtjpm,

You can use your affiliate linking code on any website and it will work. However, if working with multiple URLs, you'll be unable to evaluate and monitor performance between sites - all reports will show activity on an aggregate level. To my mind, you'll miss out on some valuable reporting capabilities that help you optimize link placement and product promotions, etc.

One way to better manage multiple sites is by creating "Sub Affiliate" accounts to track activity separately for each website. This can be done in the "Sub Affiliate" area of your account by adding website domain names and URLs. When generating link code, you can easily switch between sub-sites using a dropdown menu. Reports will reflect sales activity for each sub-site, but they will not include impression and click activity. Another option is to follow Jim's suggestion and use our Signature Technology, and further information about that program may be found in your account.

If you are opposed to working with sub-sites, it may be best to create a separate account for each URL. Again, keeping sites separate allows you to better monitor your performance. Additionally, merchants often look at the URL associated with an affiliate account - when approving an affiliate for their program, monitoring performance, offering incentives, etc. If you choose to use one account and place its code on multiple sites, I highly recommend that you review each merchant's legal terms to ensure they do not have any stipulations for using your code in such a manner.

Hope this helps - please let me know if you have further questions.
    Sarah

Sarah and others,

Thanks for your responses. We actually do use the sub affiliate id in some cases for different websites, however, we have a couple of sites that we prefer to utilize the same linking code on, I wanted to make sure there were no tracking issues what-so-ever. For these sites, we have sent every merchant we work with an email informing them that we are doing this, so they have a chance to object or let us know if they have any issues with this (including any new LS merchants we join). To date, there has been only one merchant out of over 100 that has been at all concerned with this.

Glad to know the tracking of these links runs smoothly, as we thought. Thanks again.

wtjpm

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread