ABW Ambassador
    I was just wondering when the rest of us can get some 'authorized' coupon codes. I noticed on the WhenU coupon code site http://www.pricebandit.com they have coupon codes WHENU1 and WHENU2 , i thought coldwater creek and whenu and discontinued their relationship?

ABW Ambassador
    bump

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    All the affiliate managers time is taken up with feeding coupons to the parasites and scumlords. You'll get your measly coupons when they get time to address the needs of their affiliate slave labor forces.

Outsourced Program Manager
    Hello Johnniebry and WebMaster Mike and thank you for your posts.

Coldwater Creek does work with WhenU to test response to some of our consumer offers. We have an agreement: we provide them offers to post to their users via the browser companion, their website, and as pop ups *only* if the user comes directly to our site. WhenU understands our policy that they not act predatorily toward our affiliates or we will not work with them. They have guaranteed Coldwater Creek that they in now way steal commissions from our affiliates, and have made several public statements to such in the past.

I am well aware of affiliate concerns on parasiteware/scumware – I have listened to affiliates and been involved in discussions about this issue on the USAMC board with Haiko and others. LinkShare has a policy against such activity in their legal terms.
    Affiliates and their concerns are very important to me and to Coldwater Creek, and we have made sure that they have been addressed in our relationship with WhenU. If you would like to read about our commitment to our affiliate program and see that parasite's are not are focus, please read our February press release, http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/st...ww/story/02-22
    -2002/0001674262. You'll have to look beyond our enthusiasm for the program's overall cost effectiveness [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img].

Coldwater Creek deals with each instance of parasiteware and scumware by researching the business on an individual basis and determining if the actions negatively impact other affiliates in our program. If any relationship proves to be fraudulent in any way, Coldwater Creek removes the affiliate from our program without question.

I hope that clears things up concerns on where Coldwater Creek and I stand with respect to this issue. We are very committed to our affiliates and in every way against predatory and parasiteware. I don't want my partners in any way cheated or stolen from.

Jamie Birch
    Affiliate and Partner Programs Manager
    Coldwater Creek
    208-265-3958
    jbirch@thecreek.com www.coldwatercreek.com

All,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I am well aware of affiliate concerns on parasiteware/scumware – I have listened to affiliates and been involved in discussions about this issue on the USAMC board with Haiko and others. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, indeed! Jamie and I have spoken many times about ParasiteWare and I am fully confident that he is 1,000% against any link pilfering or commission stealing. I can also assure EVERYONE that the way that Coldwaer Creek uses WhenU is not predatory towards any affiliate ... I've seen it!

WhenU, in this example actually provides, ethical, value added and I have no problem with that, and as long as it does NOT affect us [affiliates] it is moot and a wise business decision. BTW - WhenU is precluded from popping up on any affiliate traffic or link Period. (Thanks again Stephen!)

Haiko

[ 07-23-2002: Message edited by: Haiko ]

Hi Jamie, I'm confused about something

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>we provide them offers to post to their users via the browser companion, their website, and as pop ups *only* if the user comes directly to our site.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How do you know that a visitor has come directly to your site? is it by typing in http://www.coldwatercreek.com/ or some other direct link? I ask because affiliates can still get commission this way (return days and cookies). Allowing WhenU to do its thing in this circumstance can still adversely affect affiliates no?

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Let's assume the merchants want to see the facts from the fiction when it comes to preditory advertising pushed upon them by the likes of ShopNow/Whenu.com.

Jamie can easily go the the Whenu.com site and install their program like a normally enticed web shopper. Surf with it for a few days to see how it magically pops up competing offers or "incents" the buyers to overright the referral sites cookies (affiliate link) or adds in their commissionable ID to SE listings based upon keywords...etc etc..

Now download Adaware www.lavasoftusa.com and see what really was installed on your machine with or without your knowledge. For this gorilla marketing player their is only one rule...grab a commission by interloping on 100% of their user bases shopping habits and sell off their privacy info to whoever is willing to pay for it. Then move to the next test case Gator.com after cleaning your machine and so on and so on til you too get pissed at the way these sleeze bags all work.

ABW Ambassador
    Mike, are you saying Haiko is wrong? That WhenU is still predatory?

[ 07-24-2002: Message edited by: Cedric ]

Sal,

The showing of the pop-up on a direct link is very easy to program in and as Jamie said in the other thread, they don't have return days ... so it is moot, no one loses any commissions.

============

Mike,

Stephen precluded WhenU from pilfering affiliate links, the only ones they are "allowed" to is on merchant allowed direct links. Some allow some don't, but there is nothing parasitic with ColdWater Creeks'business deal with WhenU, this I can assure you.

Haiko

ABW Ambassador
    Haiko, does that mean that WhenU can still pilfer non-LS links?

Cedric,

What I meant to imply was that for some merchants, there is value added with WhenU, poping up on their site (non predatory, ofcourse).

According to my understanding of the LS affiliate Agreement, the answer is No they can't .... it states ....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>6.5. You agree that You shall not:

Place or use any Link of any Network Merchant except with the intention of delivering valid sales, leads, applications, accounts, clicks or other specified compensable actions to that Network Merchant;

* Distribute or display, or authorize or use any third party to distribute or display, any Qualifying Link or any other Link of any Network Merchant created or obtained through the Network by means of any browser extension or other software or technology which is downloaded to or installed on the Web user's personal computer or other Web access device and which serves advertisements, promotional material or links as an overlay upon, a substitute for content in, as a "pop-up" keyed by content or key words on a Webpage requested or viewed by such Web user; <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Haiko

This needs to be debated NOW

Any merchant aware of the whenu controversy simply wouldnt partner with them if they are really commited to their affs.

If I understand correctly, whenu will popup on this merchant site everytime that someone with the software installed arrives there. Therefore whenu only requires a zero day cookie which will still overwrite other cookies.

citizen powers

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Any merchant aware of the whenu controversy simply wouldnt partner with them if they are really commited to their affs.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If they are doing real value added *and* ethical(non parasitic) business? Why NOT? ... it's all about the benjamins!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>If I understand correctly, whenu will popup on this merchant site everytime that someone with the software installed arrives there. Therefore whenu only requires a zero day cookie which will still overwrite other cookies.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

WRONG! If the end user has WhenU installed and the type in CWC or arrive directly there then CWC will allow WhenU to pop up a coupon. If the End user arrives via affiliate link or traffic nothing (WhenU related) will happen, PERIOD!

There is nothing, and I mean nothing, wrong with that set up.

Haiko

ABW Ambassador
    Haiko, sorry, I wasn't clear. My concern is with, say CJ links, instead of LS. Can WhenU still snage CJ links?

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread