I ran a report the other night on my LinkShare account, and Electronics Boutique isn't really doing squat on my site.

The site is about toys, with a main focus on action figures. People on our forum regularly discuss buying toys at the mall/retail locations for EB, so I thought that the online version would be a good match for us, but apparently not. It's not a matter of generic links or banners - people aren't buying even when we put up an article about a toy which is an exclusive to EB. (When we do the same thing for a Toys'R'Us exclusive item, linking to Amazon, people buy.)

I've gotten to the point where I'm considering letting them keep the whopping six bucks we've "made" so far this year, since it will take years at this rate to get to the $100 minimum.

Which makes me bring up SpencerGifts.com. I've been fairly restrained with linking to them, but in December we made about $34.

In February or March, the LinkShare payment report indicated that a check had been mailed for that. We never got that check, and when I checked back a few months later, the report stated that LinkShare was awaiting payment for that month.

Tonight when I checked, the report says that LinkShare mailed the check on May 16th. We haven't gotten that check. (Surely it would have arrived in two months?)

Has anyone here had a similar experience with (not) getting paid for Spencers? We have another $20 or so built up (on top of the 34 and change from last year), which will make me cranky if I have to just walk away from that, since there's also another $30 or so from KB sitting my LinkShare account that I'll never see. (To be fair, the December payment for KB arrived on time.)

My experience with CJ merchants is very different: eBay and Tower Records (yes, they have toys!) are doing very well for me. And those checks actually arrive when they are supposed to.

This is starting to get kind of rambling, but I'm really annoyed that I don't know who to be frustrated with: LinkShare or (Spencer's, KB, etc.)...

Thanks for reading,
    --- Bobbi

You may want to re-think ANY merchant that has a $100 minimum payout threshold. A relatively unknown merchant like Electronics Boutique, is simply letting you do their branding for them.

Fred

ABW Ambassador
    In the UK, Fred, Electronics Boutique are a major computer games chain. Not obscure over here.

Still, I agree 100% with your point about the minimum payment.

ABW Ambassador
    EB is a major US retail outlet. I believe the biggest game store left. But they convert online like crap. I tested the tracking - it seems to work - just does not convert. No idea.

Chet

ABW Ambassador LinkShare Moderator's Avatar
    Hi Bobbi,

I've contacted my accounting team to help clarify Spencergift.com's payment history. Can you please send email me (abw@linkshare.com) your account username so that I can investigate the checks specific to your account?

On a final note, I have passed along this feedback on EBgames.com's threshold to the LinkShare representative working with that merchant so that they may try to work with the merchant to re-evaluate the current amount.

Thanks,
    Sarah

[ 07-16-2002: Message edited by: LinkShare Moderator ]

My apologies concerning my comment "...relativly unknown..." it was inapropriate in the very least.

I'm sticking to the $ 100. minimum comment though [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Fred

Thanks, Sarah - an email is on the way.

On an ironic note, since posting last night, we've made a sale through Electronics Boutique, one through a specific product link... you know, the ones I was complaining about above. Is there a "Murphy's Law" for affiliate sales? :-)

--- Bobbi

ABW Ambassador
    Another point to remember with eb. No money for system sales. I have had multiple people buy games bundled with systems - only to get nothing. Check your no commission sales.

Sarah while you are here - when consolidated checks eventually come - will it be retro active?

I can't wait for it to happen. I hate experimenting with a new company only to get that lingering $5-10 under their min and have them not really producing.

thanks

chet

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    SpenserGifts hasn't shown and real conversions on my traffic to them in 3 years. Real dog even at Christmas time. I would never put up a link to EB since they divert sales and have that 100.00 minimum. The correct term for quarterly/100.00 minimum merchants is advertising sleezebag. Before they ever cut some checks to affiliates they will close down the program and jump to another network.

Hi Bobbi.

I want to explain to you why you experienced payment difficulties in the past. A person within our organization who is no longer with us ran the Linkshare program. Once I took over responsibility I found many unresolved issues, one of those being affiliate payment. Since that time we have switched to utilizing Linkshare’s check payment system. It has taken several months for the kinks to be worked out of the program from the way I found it, however, we are finally on track!

We have many exciting promotions coming up—Austin Powers in Goldmember, Halloween, Holiday. We also offer specific programs catered to your site and its users.

I hope this information has helped shed some light on the past few months. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions about our program or would like to have a special program created for your site.

Sincerely,

Heather Waldman
    Affiliate Program Manager
    affiliates@spencergifts.com

It was posted over at the Amazon boards that Spencers sent out a newsletter to their affiliates congratulating their top merchants for the Spring Promotion.
    WhenU was in the top 5.

Maybe that is why you are not seeing any sales. WhenU is parasiteware.

Vicki

If you are a total idiot, you should go apply to Snare merchants for a job.

How can there be any issues in selling online. Any 6 year old can do it. Put up a picture of what's for sale, write a couple of sentences about why people should buy it, sell it close to wholesale.

Duh...payments = write checks once a month. Real tough to do, right.

It just goes to show you how much Snare cares about the affiliates. Yo merchants pay us $2,000 per month, we'll track your stuff but hey it all virtual so you just keep the money. We don't care if affiliates get paid, so why should you.

ABW Ambassador
    Is it just me that thinks its deplorable that EB pays 0% on sales of consoles? One of their highest promoted items?

Worse than diverting sales to another site!

It's my understanding that retailers don't make much money in selling consoles alone (maybe $1 each console), which is why they've gone to the bundling strategy. So, I can understand their unwillingness to give commissions on a product where maybe no profit is made, but console/game bundles should certainly warrant a commission.

I think that buy.com and Amazon commission on consoles. At least, I've not seen evidence to the contrary.

ABW Ambassador
    >>Maybe that is why you are not seeing any sales. WhenU is parasiteware.<<

I thought WhenU cleaned up their act -- am I wrong?

ABW Ambassador
    Okay, I just confirmed (with someone who worked very closely on this issue to make the change), WhenU is no longer snagging affiliate's code.

Welcome Heather and thanks for the info!

Jim

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    EB will never stay at LS. Once they start accumulating lots of affiliates near the 100.00 minimum they will drop out and stiff all of them. They are a network fee only merchant and that's fine with LS. Now Spencer's has had 3 years to get their act together and still don't get it! No conversions =no active affiliates showcasing their products. The moment they want to start posting here their networkwide conversion stats ( minus the parasite Duperaffiliates) and learn from the winning merchants then they might survive. Til then they might as well place a "buy at locla store" sign by all e-catalog displays.

Dear WebMaster Mike,

I want to update you on the new additions to the Spencergifts.com affiliate program. We have just launched Individual Product Links along with Product specific landing pages. We are allowing affiliates to create their own product links so they can best optimize their program. They can also contact me regarding the types of links they would like to see and I will set them up with an effort to help our affiliates make extra commissions.

I would also like to make everyone aware that we are aware of "parasite Duperaffiliates". We monitor all activity weekly to ensure that no parasitic activity takes place.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to contact me at affiliates@spencergifts.com.

Thanks!

Heather Waldman

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread